Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon - Morgoth has Pre-ordered

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
Atheists are indeed being opressed by a video game achievements. Filthy christian indoctrination everywhere.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I was thinking more along the lines of people being angry because the name of a religious figure is being used for an achievement in a violent videogame. What would jesus do and all that.

Gregz

Arcane
so%2Bmuch%2Bwin.jpg

LundB

Mistakes were made.
OKAY. I'm getting a weird old Quake/Doom/time-when-FPSes-were-about-playing-and-strafing-madly-not-rail-shooting vibe from this, which probably means it's going to be shovelware, because modern gaming. But still. Pulpy shooters really need to come back, so this is cool.

Seriously? Let's be realistic. This seems to be a standalone expansion kinda deal, which means the actual core of the gameplay is unlikely to be very different from Far Cry 3. Also, it's for consoles, so it's guaranteed to be very slow in comparison to something like Q3 or UT99. Sure it's wrapped up in some really fun cheesy 80s aesthetics, but the game itself is incredibly unlikely to be the sort of old-school FPS gameplay revival some people in this thread think it is.

That said, I did enjoy derping around in FC3 stabbing tigers to death, so I'm likely to buy it. I'm just not gonna pretend it's not popamole.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Ubi makes another dumbed down shooter for consoles - INCLINE!

Aren't you a fucking poser?

Why the fuck people who can't even pretend to decide to pretend that they are pretending to hate generic dumbed down shooters are getting into Codex staff? To attract modern console audience?
:butthurt:

MetalCraze

Arcane
LundB you are stupid. It's cool to like Ubisoft this month. Who gives a shit about what an actual game is? It's Day 1 Purchase regardless.

Behelit

Augur
OKAY. I'm getting a weird old Quake/Doom/time-when-FPSes-were-about-playing-and-strafing-madly-not-rail-shooting vibe from this, which probably means it's going to be shovelware, because modern gaming. But still. Pulpy shooters really need to come back, so this is cool.

Seriously? Let's be realistic. This seems to be a standalone expansion kinda deal, which means the actual core of the gameplay is unlikely to be very different from Far Cry 3. Also, it's for consoles, so it's guaranteed to be very slow in comparison to something like Q3 or UT99. Sure it's wrapped up in some really fun cheesy 80s aesthetics, but the game itself is incredibly unlikely to be the sort of old-school FPS gameplay revival some people in this thread think it is.

That said, I did enjoy derping around in FC3 stabbing tigers to death, so I'm likely to buy it. I'm just not gonna pretend it's not popamole.

This. However if these awesome tracks play from beginning to finish, some campy dialogue sprinkled here and there and over the top weaponry and enemies (even if they're mere reskins) this DLC will be boss for atmosphere alone. Hell, I may even set the difficulty to easy to be that invulnerable hero out in the open, mowing down a dozens of henchmen behind cover with a minigun.

Day one buy.

More screenies over here.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...od-dragon-is-totally-bonkers-an-actual-thing/

Stabwound

Arcane
What the fuck? Is this real? This is some bizarre shit.

Far Cry 3 was an awful game and I don't really care about this, but its weird as fuck. I had assumed it was an April Fools joke but it's apparently real.

Zeriel

Arcane

I did say it would probably be shovelware, so I don't get what that seriously? is about. That said, it obviously has a significantly different vibe than any FPS made in the last few years, we can only hope that the gameplay design will be included in the aesthetic.

Stabwound

Arcane
Far Cry 3 was an awful game

Just curious... why?
It's an open world game that is completely void of exploration because everything is laid out for you on the map. The crafting is just busywork. Side missions are all repetitive.

To be fair, my save got corrupted after about 10 hours of play so I gave up, but that was my impression after playing that long.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's an open world game that is completely void of exploration because everything is laid out for you on the map. The crafting is just busywork. Side missions are all repetitive.

To be fair, my save got corrupted after about 10 hours of play so I gave up, but that was my impression after playing that long.

I doubt it would have changed, my opinion was roughly the same. It felt SO repetitive because every area and every mission was identical to the last, more or less. I was surprised how many people loved it... it was better than a lot of other modern shooters, but still really meh for me.

The reason I asked though is because this expansion seems to address a lot of those problems by simply making itself more unique. The quests might be repetitive still but the presentation could counterbalance it.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I'd rather they go linear with this DLC - not CoD corridors, but in the vein of Painkiller or Serious Sams shooting arenas. As cool as the visual style, and possibly unique weaponry, might be, the best way to drive them into the ground is to have you backtracking through the areas doing repetitive X of Y quests, reusing assets to fill out the "sandbox".

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Shooters work best in that Doom/Bioshock/Crysis middle-ground between linear and open-world, in my opinion.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
My only gripe with this expansion is that I'll have to buy Far Cry 3 to play it - the base game doesn't look appealing to me. I'd rather it was standalone like Episodes from Liberty City.

I hope Steam has a special sale on FC3 around the time this thing is released.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
My only gripe with this expansion is that I'll have to buy Far Cry 3 to play it - the base game doesn't look appealing to me. I'd rather it was standalone like Episodes from Liberty City.

It might be standalone, we don't know yet. The artwork says arcade at the top, not DLC.

Bony

Learned
Queued
Ubisoft is French, Far cry 3 internal team is also french, no wonder they have such awesome back to electro 80's soundtrack.

Also Far Cry 3 was mediocore at best, I skipped all the world exploration stuff because it was tedious and boring, i was just doing the main missions. Hope this drops all this open world BS and silly crafting etc, but seeing as it has 'Far Cry 3' in the title it is HARDLY possible that they would go totaly in different direction of 'old school shooter', because why would they if FC3 sold 5 million copies.

Blood Dragon will be just more of the same in a different setting, that's all.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really like the screenshots. Lots of color.... FINALLY, a shooter that isn't a one color palette (brown, gray, neon yellow, etc.). There have been very few FPS games released in a decade that I've liked and almost no pure shooters without added pseudo-RPG crap added on. Last pure shooter that I enjoyed was Serious Sam 3 which I thought was a lot of fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom