Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy XIII

Deleted member 7219

I think because they did that port for their streaming service in japan. Streaming services are shit and don't require 1080p games so no work on resolution.

If they only did it for Japan they wouldn't have bothered with a Western release. People have suggested they have to pay licencing costs for the English dub - royalties to the voice cast or something like that.

Perkel

Arcane
I think because they did that port for their streaming service in japan. Streaming services are shit and don't require 1080p games so no work on resolution.

If they only did it for Japan they wouldn't have bothered with a Western release. People have suggested they have to pay licencing costs for the English dub - royalties to the voice cast or something like that.

They would be insane not to release it to west. It's dictionary easy money even if they would need to pay for VA licenses.

Perkel

Arcane

Deleted member 7219

- cutscene videos have bad bit rate than PS3 version. :lol:

I expected this, the ps3 version maxed out a dual layer Bluray, this port had dual audio for a similiar size.

I would have thought the 50GB download would have taken care of that.

It is actually just 30GB compared to 40GB for ps3 version. 60GB is because it has jap audio cutscenese with jap lipsync (so every cutscene*2)

My download from Steam is 50GB, not 30GB.

Perkel

Arcane
Because it is packed. When you unpack game (after downloading) game should be 60GB.

Actually you need whooping 110GB free space to install it as you first download 50GB installer and then you need 60GB for actual game. After game installs 50GB installer is deleted.

Levenmouth

Cipher
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I expected this, the ps3 version maxed out a dual layer Bluray, this port had dual audio for a similiar size.
That's not really an issue if you use a good codec. If you go to your favourite torrenting site and search for Bluray rips, you'll often find the same films in two different sizes: ~10GB and ~50GB. The latter are encoded with the MPEG-2 codec, while the former have been either re-encoded into or ripped from Bluerays using MPEG-4. I am certain you'll find videophiles that can tell by the pixels whether something is MPEG-2 or MPEG-4, but for normal viewers the two are basically indistinguishable.
In short, they could easily fit it in if they re-encoded their video. Installing new codecs on a Windows machine is much easier than on a console and would allow for better compression. I guess you can hardly expect it from a developer that can't even add 1080p support though.

There's a hi-res patch out already and I still haven't gotten my key from Nuuvem. :?

Perkel

Arcane
Because Visual Works simply downscaled their assets to PS3 quality same with skyboxes. Everything you see actually is there in backgroud. Techology wise game isn't stellar but from art side (env) is phenomenal)

Lake breshia even today is fucking amazing looking place i'll do some screenshots when my game download completes.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Contemplating contemplating...

Final-Fantasy-13-Vanille-Cosplay-Cute.jpg

:what:

Okay forget it.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Because Visual Works simply downscaled their assets to PS3 quality same with skyboxes. Everything you see actually is there in backgroud. Techology wise game isn't stellar but from art side (env) is phenomenal)

Lake breshia even today is fucking amazing looking place i'll do some screenshots when my game download completes.

By the way did the same environment artists who did Macalania in FFX do Lake Breshna in XIII? Because that ice looks a lot like FFX's.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
When does combat become more than just auto-attack with Lightning? It's fucking boring.

Perkel

Arcane
Beside being ice i don't see how it is at the same level art or tech wise.

But yeah that place looked good in fx.

Also both of those games are very similar to each other but one of them had actually good story thus problems like complete linearity were forgotten.

Athelas

Arcane
Beside being ice i don't see how it is at the same level art or tech wise.

But yeah that place looked good in fx.

Also both of those games are very similar to each other but one of them had actually good story thus problems like complete linearity were forgotten.
wat

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom