Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy XIII

Astral Rag

Arcane
- resolution locked in 1280x720, and it stretches if your monitor have different aspect ratio. :lol:
- no video options. :lol:
- cutscene videos have bad bit rate than PS3 version. :lol:
- frame drops here and there. :lol:
- (in fullscreen mode) press Esc shutdown the game instantly. :lol:
- 56GB :lol:

:lol:

In b4 Directors Cut with Enhanced Graphics and full 1080p support

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Beside being ice i don't see how it is at the same level art or tech wise.

But yeah that place looked good in fx.
Also both of those games are very similar to each other but one of them had actually good story thus problems like complete linearity were forgotten.
wat

You may not like characters in FX but actual storyline in FX was good. (naturally X-2 shat on story and retracted on FX story).
Also good story in FX doesn't mean it was superb story like for example Planescape. IT means simply good story nothing else.

Duraframe300

Arcane
It's only the first game that uses FMV's for it's countless cutscenes. FF XIII-2 and Lightning Returns should all render that in-engine in realtime, thus considerably smaller downloads.

I don't know if that was mentioned, but IIRC the pre-rendered FMV's are partly responsible for a lot of XIII's problems. Basically they had to be finished early in development and everything else had to be designed around it.

Athelas

Arcane
The whole phenomenon of in-engine cutscenes being pre-rendered in console games is so dumb.

Especially since those cutscenes end up actually looking worse than regular gameplay when they get ported to PC. :P

Perkel

Arcane
Either way, this port suck donkey balls in therms of performance.
I have i53470 and HD7970 and this shit constantly switches between 30 and 60 fps even on shitty 720p. Same with Gadesato.

Looks like GPU and CPU treats this game as notepad and downclock themselves.

Perkel

Arcane
The whole phenomenon of in-engine cutscenes being pre-rendered in console games is so dumb.

Especially since those cutscenes end up actually looking worse than regular gameplay when they get ported to PC. :P

It is mainly because they usually contain much more stuff than regular gameplay allows. It doesn't need to be way much but just a little like better shadows to hide ingame shadows quality that in cutscenes could look worse.

I'll be doing some screenshot gallery. I knew some places in ps3 version needed highres but damn some of those really look good in highres

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

As someone who played this on the PS3, my first impressions of the PC version with Gedasato:

Cutscenes don't look noticeably worse. I was actually sat in a couch when playing the PS3 version, a fair distance from the TV, and when you do that you don't tend to notice low resolutions. Sat right in front of my PC monitor, all I notice is that the cutscenes are a little bit darker than normal gameplay. The blurriness you often get in low-res FMVs is not an issue here. During the pre-title cutscene you zoom in on a lot of character's faces and they look pretty good. So I don't think the cutscenes are an issue, like they were in the original RE4 port.

The graphics in game look good. I played the first battle and then I saved and exited, but I'm about to go in again with FRAPS and monitor my framerate. I'm doing the normal res downscaling that Gedasato provides, 3840x2160 to 1920x1080 (my monitor res).

bonescraper

Fuck this game, i can't beat the Shiva sisters. I really don't see the mechanics behind that fight. It's like the bar stops filling up after it reaches the GETSALT word. FUCK.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I thought this game is easy, and there are no problems with bosses, like you can press one button and...

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fuck this game, i can't beat the Shiva sisters. I really don't see the mechanics behind that fight. It's like the bar stops filling up after it reaches the GETSALT word. FUCK.
Well, did you get the salt?

Ah, fuck. I'm supposed to press X. Fuck that.
The game apparently has more interactivity than I have been led to believe.

Deleted member 7219

2 hours in (just found Sarah at the Pulse Fal'Cie).

The resolution fix from Gedasato really works. The game looks great.

Performance could be better. It seems to be locked at 30FPS, which is fine, but it sometimes dips below that and you can notice the lag.

Menus don't seem to be as crisp as they could be, but they are menus after all - much of the gameplay in FF13 is spent outside of them.

Shadows aren't great, but they aren't noticeably bad - only if you really look at them. Most of the close-ups are done in cutscenes and the shadows in those are fine, so it isn't a problem for me. I think Square could probably improve them in a patch anyway.

Cutscenes are fine.

Perkel

Arcane
There are problems with Gadesato scalling. Switch from bilinear to bicubic it should improve UI.
Game on PS3 had 1080p UI so we need to wait for proper UI reskin with PS3 files.

Also some dude found via cheat engine Crystalium levels adress so you can unlock lvl 10 from start and have full table of skills and stuff to invest your CP in.
It requires only get to chapter 3 and various saves from chapter 1/2 and 3 and reloading game.
So you can rejoice people as you will be able to actually play game from start and specialize characters as you want.

When i get to chapter 3 i will test this myself.

Levenmouth

Cipher
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I switched off the resolution fix, because it tends to drop me into teen framerates whenever a new map loads, which is a bit jarring in the long run. It also renders everything in 3000xsomething resolution and then downscales it to 1080p, despite me having made the appropriate changes in the config. What you absolutely have to do is manually turn on v-sync in your graphics card's settings though. At least in my case the tearing was, without exaggeration, the worst I have ever seen. Fortunately it was really easy to fix.

Deleted member 7219

I switched off the resolution fix, because it tends to drop me into teen framerates whenever a new map loads, which is a bit jarring in the long run. It also renders everything in 3000xsomething resolution and then downscales it to 1080p, despite me having made the appropriate changes in the config. What you absolutely have to do is manually turn on v-sync in your graphics card's settings though. At least in my case the tearing was, without exaggeration, the worst I have ever seen. Fortunately it was really easy to fix.

Yeah I just looked at the PC Gaming Wiki article on FF13 and apparently a lot of people are getting 60 FPS, which I find surprising. 30 FPS and lower feels a bit shit now.

I tried with the fix turned off and I still get 30FPS so I know it isn't anything to do with my forcing a higher resolution.

I think if I force vsync on I'll get even worse FPS so I'm keeping things as they are, with the res fix enabled and I can only hope a patch will fix the performance problems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 7219

There are problems with Gadesato scalling. Switch from bilinear to bicubic it should improve UI.
Game on PS3 had 1080p UI so we need to wait for proper UI reskin with PS3 files.

Also some dude found via cheat engine Crystalium levels adress so you can unlock lvl 10 from start and have full table of skills and stuff to invest your CP in.
It requires only get to chapter 3 and various saves from chapter 1/2 and 3 and reloading game.
So you can rejoice people as you will be able to actually play game from start and specialize characters as you want.

When i get to chapter 3 i will test this myself.

I just tried with bicubic and didn't notice anything different with the UI. What is meant to be improved?

Levenmouth

Cipher
I think if I force vsync on I'll get even worse FPS so I'm keeping things as they are, with the res fix enabled and I can only hope a patch will fix the performance problems.
The framerate is somewhat unstable for me too. Sometimes it's silky smooth, sometimes it jitters a little bit.

Levenmouth

Cipher
He's not THAT annoying. Any reasonably sane person would want to murder Snow if they met him.
So would the developers themselves, it would seem. So far he has been punched to the point he lost his footing (three times nonetheless), kicked and lost his footing, punched senseless and threatened to have his throat slit with a sword. 5/5.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom