Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
It's starting to look like weebs are going to have to start making their own turn based jrpgs or just accept the death of the genre in the near future.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Honestly I don't understand it. Pokemon and Persona are still super popular while being turn based. The narrative that turn based is unpopular is just that, a narrative. SE is going full retard here. Meanwhile every series that were traditionally TB has suffered a loss of popularity and relevance after switching to real-time/pseudo TB.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Meanwhile, Yakuza 7, being turn-based, was a smash-hit.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Honestly I don't understand it. Pokemon and Persona are still super popular while being turn based. The narrative that turn based is unpopular is just that, a narrative. SE is going full retard here. Meanwhile every series that were traditionally TB has suffered a loss of popularity and relevance after switching to real-time/pseudo TB.
I guess there's this nebulous notion of significant audiences just waiting for switch to real-time so they can finally get into franchises.

Rean

Head Codexian Weeb
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The disgusting abomination that is FFXIV is far more to blame for any perceived decline than anything else brought up here. You can't really expect such a behemoth of popularity would not drive the franchise going forward. And it has been.

Y7 is not a good example of turn-based combat. It was sluggish and unnecessary. People were into it because of the extravagant characters, amazing environments and over-the-top stories, as is usual with the series.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
The disgusting abomination that is FFXIV is far more to blame for any perceived decline than anything else brought up here. You can't really expect such a behemoth of popularity would not drive the franchise going forward. And it has been.

Y7 is not a good example of turn-based combat. It was sluggish and unnecessary. People were into it because of the extravagant characters, amazing environments and over-the-top stories, as is usual with the series.
Turn based combat was far superior than the action slog (chuck Heat, chuck Heat, chuck Heat, chuck Heat) that was Y0-Y6, imo.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Turn based combat was far superior than the action slog (chuck Heat, chuck Heat, chuck Heat, chuck Heat) that was Y0-Y6, imo.

Yakuza series is a good example of games that are compelling and fun despite relatively shitty primary gameplay.

I played Zero and found it to be meh. The cutscenes are okay but if I wanted to watch a movie I'd be watching a movie, not playing a game. Combat was awful and I wanted to avoid it whenever possible. The sidequests were utterly dull. The most fun I had was playing the pool minigame.

Machocruz

Arcane
The bad taste that TB leaves in many people's mouths is a combination of their own stupidity and because of the overly simple, menu based systems of past JRPGs, especially FF, that most normies who played any kind of RPG played. They made their judgments based off of games where there is not even movement or positioning, low lethality, low enemy counts (per battle), simplistic spell selection, low amount of battle options/tactics. etc. They think such JRPG combat is the totality of what turn-based can be. They would throw an absolute fit if FF went back to turn-based.

Add to this they are too stupid to see how any kind of decent party vs. party combat with any kind of decently punishing enemies necessitates TB combat, or at least the ability to pause, which is just adding an extra layer of busywork/management. .

And they are also storyfags and immersionfags, not knowing or caring about the genre's wargame DNA. The job of RPG is to make them feel feelings.

Last edited:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Final Fantasy has sci fi elements.

FFI_Nuke_PS.png

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Warmech_(Final_Fantasy)

notpl

Arbiter
Bravely Default is the real modern continuation of final fantasy, we don't need whatever this ends up being.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Am I the only one who doesn't care about cutscenes? The few seconds of gameplay we saw were pretty cool. The animations preceding the attacks were impressive. Final Fantasy summon intros and limit breaks or whatever have come a long way. I could have done without the first 3 minutes of the trailer. A bunch of countries were built around giant crystals, and their leaders enjoy dramatic posturing. Got it. Now show some gameplay.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
I was surprised that it seemed to be a grounded game inspired by western rpgs, and then it turned into Devil May Cry :o

My pet peeve is that it seems like all of the Eikons are going to be the traditional classics. No originals (except for maybe that one Eikon depicted at the top of the mural at the end, probably the final boss or antagonist or something).

Dadd

Learned
Old Final Fantasy combat is generic JRPG combat. I thought it was character archetypes, worldbuilding and cliché anime plot that mainly characterized Final Fantasy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom