Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

notpl

Arbiter
If FFVII-R did so poorly then I am not sure why they are making part 2 of it.

No idea how that game did, but if you assume Squenix management is retarded and makes bad decisions, you'll be right more often than not.
Financially I don't know. Critically, among fans, it's a torn opinion. A lot of people think it sucks. People talk more about Tifa's italian incident than the game itself I'd say. Doesn't help that they went full price with this.
In fact, the only games I see people talking about non stop are 8 and 10.
The game sold reasonably well and they also got money from Sony and Epic. In my experience a lot of people are wary of what they will do with the story on part 2, with most people expecting it to be a shitshow. I dont mind Aerith surviving since she is cute but thats just me personally. I cant deny that the last hour or so of the game was silly, they could just had said its a reboot instead of a remake, there was no need for all of that nonsense with the shades or whatever they are called.
It's neither! It's a fucking sequel!

Zlaja

Arcane
So sorry, grandma.

turn-based-granny.png

The main problem with FF7 R is not that it wasn't turn-based, but rather that it was so fucking boring. Did you like the city of Midgar while playing the original? Well, in the remake the city is reduced to a bunch of bland corridors, which you'll be forced to run back 'n forth through, while doing the most boring ass mundane sidequests you could possibly imagine.

Also, I hope you like those long 'slow walking and talking sequences' that you can't skip. Game has a ton of those.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
... and then they decided to cancel the DLCs to include everything (plus, the ending stages of the game) in a novel.
Wait a minute was there supposed to be more story after the main campgain?
Because I saw FF15 ending yesterday and it seemed to me like a very definitive ending, what could they even do after that?

... and then they decided to cancel the DLCs to include everything (plus, the ending stages of the game) in a novel.
Because I saw FF15 ending yesterday and it seemed to me like a very definitive ending, what could they even do after that?
FF15 had a very rocky development. Stuff that was part of the main story was chopped into several pieces, namely the movie, then the DLCs. The original plan was to make you watch the movie + play the base game + do the DLCs, to get the proper conclusion to all the plot points. However, they axed like two DLCs worth of story and in the end they released them as a novel.
Edit: the completion times for 16 seem more than reasonable imo.

Tyrr

Liturgist
The original plan was to make you watch the movie + play the base game + do the DLCs, to get the proper conclusion to all the plot points.
What a shitty plan.

"Here, you have to read this book, watch this series/movie to get the story of our game."
It's worse enough with a MMO like WoW, where almost nobody cares about the story anyway. But in a RPG?

It's what they ended up doing when they realized they wouldn't be able to complete the game as they had envisioned first due to slacking lack of time. But it's not that unusual for a japanese game to have side contents like this.

Duraframe300

Arcane
They retconned a whole lot, that's what. Events straight up play out differently and it's basically a different story with different themes. Not the same ending at all.

Dawn of the Future definitely was not part of the original plan regardless what's said here and the story isn't anything more complete with it. Still a shitload of holes.
(New ones as well thanks to, again, retconning.)

The first batch of DLC's that fills the holes when your companions are away (Basically everything without Episode Ardyn), ranges from ok to decent though and fit within the story. (Except for the alternative ending of Ignis. That fit also somewhat (and is a nice speculative outcome), but I assume is when the whole mentality that it's ok to retcon started)

The part of Dawn of the Future that describes the would be Aranea DLC is also pretty dope (and the one thing that's salvageable from it) minus the part about the stupid kid.

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
Watched the panel, they showed lots of different stuff including finally showing off a bit of exploration/locations.

They ended it by announcing that they'll release more info specific to the game's rpg elements/systems next week.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Watched the panel, they showed lots of different stuff including finally showing off a bit of exploration/locations.

They ended it by announcing that they'll release more info specific to the game's rpg elements/systems next week.

If nothing else, we might at least get a good soundtrack out of this.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Wow, most environments look so... undistinctive.
?

Personally think there's a lot of variety in that trailer, from lush to desert, to the crystal cavern and so on. They do show the desert quite a few times, but that's most likely the same environment. My favourite is the seaside wheat field one.

I have more of a problem with the subdued colours everywhere. Looks almost like a filter put over the image.

S.torch

Arbiter
Personally think there's a lot of variety in that trailer, from lush to desert, to the crystal cavern and so on.

That's not what I meant. I'm the kind of person who much prefers places that contain a particular feeling, of one kind or another. Like the ones in Dark Souls have. I'm not talking about superficial differences like whether there's a coast or a desert.

To me the places they presented seem to be largely devoid of any particular feeling to convey.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Personally think there's a lot of variety in that trailer, from lush to desert, to the crystal cavern and so on.

That's not what I meant. I'm the kind of person who much prefers places that contain a particular feeling, of one kind or another. Like the ones in Dark Souls have. I'm not talking about superficial differences like whether there's a coast or a desert.

To me the places they presented seem to be largely devoid of any particular feeling to convey.
Can't personally tell without context / from a trailer and Dark Souls seems like a steep target. I mean 99% of all games fail that comparison.

But fair enough., there are hints but nothing that springs out as emotive certainly.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom