Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-COM Firaxis - XCOM: Enemy Unknown + Enemy Within Expansion

Aaaaand I am now sick of it. What broke it for me was one single change - plasma weapons now require UFO power sources to build and not alien weapons. All those weapons I captured in preparation for building my own plasma guns? Worthless. Instead I need 1 UFO power source to even build a fucking pistol. Yeah, that makes sense. Why the fuck is a stun gun a primary weapon now if it is almost never actually needed? There is no reason to capture more than 1 alien of a particular species. Fuck it, I'm done.

Falksi

Arcane
Gonna have to return to this soon. Loved it with the EW expansion. Way better than any of the X-Com 2 stuff IMO

mastroego

Arcane
Aaaaand I am now sick of it. What broke it for me was one single change - plasma weapons now require UFO power sources to build and not alien weapons. All those weapons I captured in preparation for building my own plasma guns? Worthless. Instead I need 1 UFO power source to even build a fucking pistol. Yeah, that makes sense. Why the fuck is a stun gun a primary weapon now if it is almost never actually needed? There is no reason to capture more than 1 alien of a particular species. Fuck it, I'm done.
The stun gun becomes great also for repairing SHIVs, though. Give it to a Scout or a Medic together with a Blaster or something, it works wonders.

ArchAngel

Arcane
The stun gun becomes great also for repairing SHIVs, though. Give it to a Scout or a Medic together with a Blaster or something, it works wonders.
SHIVs and more importantly - MECs.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I have been playing my 2nd run some more over the weekend. I have reached Gauss weapons now. Exalt missions are harder then ever now with how their numbers have increased. And Ucross is making crazier decisions with every patch. I have again decided to not upgrade to next one as now he is doing stupid nerfs again. He is nerfing both scouts and motion tracker on SHIVs in one patch lol. Fuck em. Also Heavy MECs losing one weapon and utility slot... and all damage now does at least 1 damage no matter how much armor you got. Oh and nerfs to Xcom psi powers and buffs to enemy Psi units.. FUCK EM! I am not going to upgrade to that version even with some bug fixes and some nice changes in it.

I am waiting for more complete version of LW2 for WotC or PP, which ever comes out first and is more playable and then I am not ever coming back to LWR.

Lunac

Arcane
Someone on a gaming reddit mentioned there are as many as SIX(6) FMVs before even the first mission begins (in one of the nuXcom games). Some are even un-skippable FMVs! I know RPGcodex skews towards the hardcore "will-play-any-damn-thing-including-flash-malware-web-gaem" demographics, but WHY would anyone PAY for anything like that?!

mastroego

Arcane
Since the Long War Rebalance ModMod got MASSIVELY updated since the last time I played, I decided to give it another go.
After several hours with this new version, I feel like it deserves a new mention and mini-review.

Now, the author keeps tinkering with it - this hasn't changed - but a new baseline seems to have finally been found, and I have to say the result is impressive.
In short, this really seems like the "definitive" version of Long War, and it makes for a really solid strategic/tactical game all around.
Since the changes are massive and all-encompassing, not to mention painstakingly detailed in the mod's presentation (the nexus page I mean), I'll focus on a few points that deserve to be highlighted.

• There are now even more UI and QoL improvements. An incredible amount of them I mean. Basically every annoyance LW players (and we're talking long-hours players here) used to encounter seems to have been dealt with. Ordered lists, context-colored texts, auto-switches, you name it. A lot of stuff seems to have required hard-coding (or semi-hard at least). I didn't expect this level of UI refinement, after all this time too. Almost worth it by itself.
  • Some of the biggest issues with the modmod have been addressed with a total rethinking of the general rebalancing approach. For instance (and most notably), Terror Missions got to be insane (even more insane than the LW ones) since the new (improved!) pod-activation system, introduced by this modmod, could not really be optimized for small maps. Terror Missions have to be ultra-challenging, which means lots of critters, which means increased chance for each of them to have summonable help nearby, and increased again when this is combined with small maps. Which basically used to mean total enemy activation on Turn 1 - or disasters of a similar scale. In the new version of the modmod it's terror missions that limit the number of soldiers, so the number of enemies could be scaled back accordingly.
  • Meaningful options and hard choices everywhere. Everywhere! Multiple abductions sites are now a thing again (LW changed this to 1 single abduction mission, which also used to make the UI selection screen meaningless). You can even do all of them if you have the strenght and are able to work with the required flight times. More likely you'll have to pick 1 or 2 sites, basing the choice on the expected rewards (perhaps you really need those 2 extra engineers!) and/or the most pressing panic-management needs among the countries targeted for abduction.
  • More meaningful options for the building queues too! Simultaneous production is limited by the number of workshops, so you'll definitely have to think about what you need to build FIRST. It seems grouping multiple copies of 1 item effectively lets you bypass the limit, but you still have to front more money and resources to produce things in bulk, and more often than not you won't be in a position to manage things that way.
  • More meaningful options for the black market too. Market values fluctuate which means you could be tempted to sell something you were planning to keep, or that you'll be forced to wait in order not sell valuable for scraps.
  • More meaningful options for soldiers builds, because honestly with the new changes I'm finding that all paths are interesting, I don't see obvious picks anymore, and the reworked trees, when you get into them, seem really solid and capable to define unique units. Most of this was achieved by cleverly moving skills around for the various classes, but several skills have been heavily reworked and/or created from scratch for the purpose.
  • Changes at the tactical level abound as well. Perhaps the most important is the reworked overwatch mechanic: both x-com and aliens can now only overwatch if the enemy is in sight, and ONLY previously spotted enemies can be effected by it! Overwatch now basically means "keep that foe(s) in your crosshair and shoot if he moves". Now this might appear a bit controversial but the intent was to prevent stagnation and lousy abusive tactics, and after playing with it for several missions I've come to the conclusion that it changes the feel of the battle a lot, and for the better.
Ok, I'll stop now, I think this is enough to display the nature of the changes.
Gives this mod(mod) a try, it really makes for a fresh and worthy Long War experience.
Of course I'm "just" three months into this new campaign, so there's lots of things I haven't seen yet.

Sounds interesting. Haven't played XCOM 1 in yeeeaaars, maybe it's time for another go.
I tried a couple of times but it inevitably made me realize how much I grew into having a net preference for XCOM 2 over it, by a wide margin.

Well, to be specific, XCOM 2 + War of the Chosen.
I should probably check the "Long War of the Chosen" mod at some point, but I'm a bit scarred by the fact that I thought Long War 2 was absolute garbage as a first impression.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Honestly, XCOM 2 + Chosen, despite many flaws and weaknesses, pushed the nu-XCOM boardgame-style modernshit from "eh it's okay I guess" to "hey, this is very different, and I hate the small squads, but it's still fun; it's got sauce!" for me. Looking forward to the third installment.

Honestly, XCOM 2 + Chosen, despite many flaws and weaknesses, pushed the nu-XCOM boardgame-style modernshit from "eh it's okay I guess" to "hey, this is very different, and I hate the small squads, but it's still fun; it's got sauce!" for me. Looking forward to the third installment.
Well, I don't even need to pretend to be a grumpy grognard.
I just fucking love it.

I used to be rather lukewarm about the Fireaxis reboot, especially the first one, but the more I replayed the sequel with WOTC the more I had to admit to myself "I'm having a fucking blast every time I replay a new campaign".
I think I may actually enjoy it even more than the original UFO, all things considered, which is something that I could never see myself saying a couple of years ago.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't think I love it, because, well, it's too different from the original. But I think this is the best we can get in the modern day that is still a mass-marketable product, so I am pretty happy with it!
That said, it can never compare to the original, simply because I played UFO 1 and TFTD 1000+ hours as a kid and it is just burnt into my memory as amazing.

simply because I played UFO 1 and TFTD 1000+ hours
this is something i'll never accept or even understand. "x-com alliance", the never delivered rainbow six ante litteram in the x-com world, geoscape and headshotting sectoids, i wetted my pants at night dreaming of it and i still would, because a good game is a good game. it's not about being different, it's about being good, nuxcom just ain't.
both long wars do a hell of a job trying to salvage these fallout 3 level of trainwrecks but they can only so much.

simply because I played UFO 1 and TFTD 1000+ hours
this is something i'll never accept or even understand. "x-com alliance", the never delivered rainbow six ante litteram in the x-com world, geoscape and headshotting sectoids, i wetted my pants at night dreaming of it and i still would, because a good game is a good game. it's not about being different, it's about being good, nuxcom just ain't.
both long wars do a hell of a job trying to salvage these fallout 3 level of trainwrecks but they can only so much.
Bollocks.
Aside for the fact that the game IS fun and rather good, regardless of its roots on a glorious franchise of the past, what's even more bollocks is your follow up.
LW2 is a perfect example of what happen when you are a modder and "AUTISM" is the driving principle in your attempt to designing new mechanics. "Attempt to salvage a trainwreck" my hairy ass.

oh yes, the fun of a single base and a single skyranger, the fun of cutting almost all the economy and production, the fun of saving the world with 6 men and losing one early often means losing the game thus the fun of quickloading, the fun of the pods, the fun of almost completely removing explosives, the fun of no free aim, the fun of random classes but mandatory skills, the fun of the fixed maps...
oh so much fun!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
But you are comparing it to the original and not a game of its own merits. Try treating it as a boardgame and I think you will see it's at least okay.

oh yes, the fun of a single base and a single skyranger, the fun of cutting almost all the economy and production, the fun of saving the world with 6 men and losing one early often means losing the game thus the fun of quickloading, the fun of the pods, the fun of almost completely removing explosives, the fun of no free aim, the fun of random classes but mandatory skills, the fun of the fixed maps...
oh so much fun!

ZZZZ.
Because the fun of that shitty infiltration mechanic (3 vs 64) was something to write home about, instead.

By the way, few years are gone, you may even consider giving up to all this incessant bitching about the same shit, Max.
At some point you either come to terms with how a game plays or you keep the autistic ranting about all the things you didn't get back then.

Also, WOTC does a fucking lot to solve the "issue" of having just top six men and everyone else being accessory.
And "losing one means losing the game" is utter bullshit, anyway.

EDIT: Wait, now that I pay better attention to it, half of your fucking rant is indeed utter bullshit.
Explosives haven't been removed from the game at all.
"Random classes but mandatory skills" sounds like buzzwords you are just throwing in the middle for better effect.
"Fixed maps" haven't been a thing since the VANILLA version of the sequel launched.
Etc, etc.

Last edited:

Suicidal

Arcane
I haven't played unmodded XCOM 2 or unmodded WOTC but didn't WOTC introduce a point-buy system for skills and so they're no longer random?

On the subject of XCOM2/WOTC: I just started playing it today with a bunch of mods, among which are the mod that allows you to equip any gear on any character and also removes classes and lets you learn any ability you want and also introduces stat leveling (don't know if this was in the original game or not), as well as multiple enemy, weapon and soldier upgrade mods and AI-improving mods.

I've actually never played any of the new XCOMs without mods. My first and only playthrough of XCOM:EU was with Long War and I enjoyed it (even though it got pretty tiring by the end). A few years ago I started XCOM 2 with Long War 2 and played it a bit but literally a few days later after I started my campaign they announced WOTC so I decided to shelve the playthrough and come back to it when the expansion got released and modded. As we all know, it never happened. I know that the Long War mod team gave the source code to some other guys who are now working on it and there's a beta version but instead of waiting till they finish I decided to make my own version of Long War which will probably lead to some game breaking bugs halfway in, but who knows.

So far, I'm enjoying it. The vastly expanded soldier customization options are a lot of fun and the game is actually surprisingly difficult. I don't know whether it's the mods fucking up the balance or it's supposed to be like that, but in my 2nd mission after the tutorial I was given 4 turns to chase down and kill a 16 hp unit with enough damage to one shot 3 out of 4 of my soldiers, while there were 10 other enemy units on the map as well.

Because the fun of that shitty infiltration mechanic (3 vs 64) was something to write home about, instead.
read again the thread title, you fuckhalfwit. and fuck off somewhere else.
I haven't played unmodded XCOM 2 or unmodded WOTC but didn't WOTC introduce a point-buy system for skills and so they're no longer random?
never been, never even thought of it being like that, you're making stuff up. and are in the wrong thread.
I've actually never played any of the new XCOMs without mods.
which sums up how much your opinion is worth on the subject.

mastroego

Arcane
Yes but there ARE mods, and very good ones at this point.

Skeptics could give the setup Xcom + EW + Long War + Long War Rebalanced a try. They might even be pleasantly surprised.
If you end up doing it, pay attention to the new/changed mechanics and don't underestimate the strategic level of the game, or you'll have your ass handed to you on an alien plate soon enough.

read again the thread title, you fuckhalfwit. and fuck off somewhere else.
which sums up how much your opinion is worth on the subject.
We were talking about the second, you fucking sub-human from Naples.
Just because you can't follow a conversation for two replies straight without blurting out the same bullshit you repeated for the last five years in auto-pilot, it doesn't mean it's interesting to listen to.

Psquit

Arcane
Now now ladies, there's enough nu-xcom to go around!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom