Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News First work in progress screenshot of Wasteland 2 revealed

EG

Nullified
I don't know, I can't help but find this whole discussion over some early-and-barely-more-than-concept-screenshot pretty stupid.

What else are we to whine about, if not this?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Also, get fucking rid of green radioactive fumes. They were fucking old and campy already back when SS2 was released, now, after STALKERs and even fucking FO3 they're disgrace, not to mention even FO didn't seem to use that shit much even though it was based on SCIENCE! instead of science.
HCDQs.png

EG

Nullified
Also, get fucking rid of green radioactive fumes. They were fucking old and campy already back when SS2 was released, now, after STALKERs and even fucking FO3 they're disgrace, not to mention even FO didn't seem to use that shit much even though it was based on SCIENCE! instead of science.
HCDQs.png

. . . Notice how the water is "water" and not "lol, Saturday morning cartoon radioactive!" Nor is the ground coated in nacho dust -- see that nice mix to signify sand, dying grass, and health-ier grass? Unless I'm mistaken and the flecks of neon green are meant to signify radiation . . . It's been a while.

I like the original Wasteland palette, by the way. It just can't look good on highly detailed models that use shadows.

It'd just like your GPU corrupted the display driver then.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
. . . Notice how the water is "water" and not "lol, Saturday morning cartoon radioactive!" Nor is the ground coated in nacho dust -- see that nice mix to signify sand, dying grass, and health-ier grass? Unless I'm mistaken and the flecks of neon green are meant to signify radiation . . . It's been a while.
Radiation in Wasteland is invisible. When you have a Geiger Counter, it's marked on maps with standard radioactivity warning signs.
Also, note how grass grows mainly next to the river.

EG

Nullified
Radiation in Wasteland is invisible. When you have a Geiger Counter, it's marked on maps with standard radioactivity warning signs.
Also, note how grass grows mainly next to the river.

Ah, but you learned pretty quick that "bright yellow" == "bad death." Or at least I did. I always assumed the sudden increase in heat meant radiation, rather than . . . just heat.

As far as the grass growing by the river . . . it's like real life. :)

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Ah, but you learned pretty quick that "bright yellow" == "bad death." Or at least I did. I always assumed the sudden increase in heat meant radiation, rather than . . . just heat.
Not really. Sand is mostly safe outside a few radio-active zones.

As far as the grass growing by the river . . . it's like real life. :)
I like such attention to details in world-building.

Kahlis

Cipher
Brian Fargo@BrianFargo
Some of the other Wasteland 2 portraits pieces are coming in from other top artists and they are outstanding! I'll show them soon...
Looking forward to this. Just to get a feel for what people other than generic bearded military cowboy will be like.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
There is a huge discrepancy between the artworks and dat screenshot.

EG

Nullified
Which is pretty dumb. Community has seen the artworks and I imagine applauded them, no?

What's the most sensible thing you can do at this point? Why, making game looking nothing like artwork, of course.
:roll:

Now, now. This might be an isolated area! There could be grass and nature-reclaimed metropolitan areas elsewhere!

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Which is pretty dumb. Community has seen the artworks and I imagine applauded them, no?

What's the most sensible thing you can do at this point? Why, making game looking nothing like artwork, of course.
:roll:

We can wait for the next screenshot and hope for a qualitative jump. Other than this, I don't know.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Why the only thing Fargo showed about W2 until now are the graphics if every other RPG being made looks ten times better? :(

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
Personally I'm glad he isn't making it near photo-realistic. I'm a kid at heart and the occasional cartoonish game environment you can immerse yourself into is a good change from that never-ending race toward photorealism.

Also, from the Stasis developer (in the comments):

Ive been in contact with Mr Fargo, and his art director. I know that the way that I do graphics really isnt a production friendly way of doing things on the scale of Wasteland 2. From their point of view, they have to exagerate some of the aspects of their characters to be able to easily indentify them in a firefight, and that then translates to the environment.
From the conversations Ive had with them, I know that Wasteland 2 is going to kick ass!

So there :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom