Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News First work in progress screenshot of Wasteland 2 revealed

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Can they give the player the option to choose on the finished product?

If not, I think this is something Fargo and co should be deciding honestly.

Kahlis

Cipher
Does nobody over there know how to save JPEG's without the horrible MSPaint compression?

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
Now that's a serious effort put into development. They took a screenshot, and made THREE saturation variants, where the over- and desaturated ones are plainly retarded.
I think it's just a bullshit, it's to create an impression for morons that they have an influence on something in development process. Unexisting problem that could be easily solved by three magickal sliders in the video settings.

Kahlis

Cipher
Now that's a serious effort put into development. They took a screenshot, and made THREE saturation variants, where the over- and desaturated ones are plainly retarded.
I think it's just a bullshit, it's to create an impression for morons that they have an influence on something in development process. Unexisting problem that could be easily solved by three magickal sliders in the video settings.
I don't really like any of the three. B is the most balanced, but you can't just indiscriminately saturate/desaturate the entire picture. Specific colors could probably be toned down to the level they're at in C, like the ground.

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
you can't just indiscriminately saturate/desaturate the entire picture. Specific colors could probably be toned down to the level they're at in C, like the ground.
Whoa, hold on, man. I assure you, the HSV color manipulation *is* possible, for the entire image and for separate textures as well.

EG

Nullified
you can't just indiscriminately saturate/desaturate the entire picture. Specific colors could probably be toned down to the level they're at in C, like the ground.
Whoa, hold on, man. I assure you, the HSV color manipulation *is* possible, for the entire image and for separate textures as well.

Sure it is . . . but they done not do it, lad.

Tone down the green vapor-water and the bright orange to C, leave everything else at B.

Then I'll rest in peace.

I don't see why they would bother with such shenanigans now that the game is funded. I think it's just a visual aid for the "what would you guys like more - colorful, bleak or middle-of-the-road?" question (since everyone has their own interpretations of these words)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I agree with Ion, seems like Fargo wanted the "B"and just made two other retarded images to offer the illusion of choice. And this kind of polls will probably be a powerfull scapegoat should the worst come to pass...

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
seems like Fargo wanted the "B"and just made two other retarded images to offer the illusion of choice

it's one of those graphic designer client handling tricks you see being mentioned every now and then

do what your client generally wants(within your conscience), then make a couple of alternate drafts with pretty horrendous modifications (like a neon lime and bruised purple color scheme), then present all of them as equally good choices

the client can then choose the one that isn't retarded and pat himself on the back for his decisive design leadership and great visual taste

EG

Nullified
seems like Fargo wanted the "B"and just made two other retarded images to offer the illusion of choice

it's one of those graphic designer client handling tricks you see being mentioned every now and then

do what your client generally wants(within your conscience), then make a couple of alternate drafts with pretty horrendous modifications (like a neon lime and bruised purple color scheme), then present all of them as equally good choices

the client can then choose the one that isn't retarded and pat himself on the back for his decisive design leadership and great visual taste

And man, when it backfires! . . . You guys should see the logo to the condominium development I live in . . . not to mention the bill for the sign.

Kahlis

Cipher
It works. That's how I used to convince my peers that my design for the high school newspaper was best. Especially effective when your peers are clueless fucks who don't have the technical skill to even try to make their own suggestions, because they don't understand the full potential of Adobe software and just use it like MSWord when it's placed in their hands. I suppose the same would apply to most of the backers on that forum, after playing so many grimdark shooters and action games over the years that they've forgotten half the colors in the rainbow exist.

EG

Nullified
I suppose the same would apply to most of the backers on that forum, after playing so many grimdark shooters and action games over the years that they've forgotten half the colors in the rainbow exist.

You truly do not find the current palette to clash? Oh dear, I better go back re-read that color-theory half of the book. :(

Kahlis

Cipher
You truly do not find the current palette to clash? Oh dear, I better go back re-read that color-theory half of the book. :(
My comment was mostly aimed at the ones who wanted Option C, which is completely artificial "hurr yeah i want wasteland be barren." But I don't really like the colors either. Not the hues per se, so much as how unevenly distributed everything is. The new character models seem to have this shiny, painted porcelain look to them with as much contrast as the gas station, which both look nauseating against the dingy, cheese-colored rocks and terrain. The colors on the gas station building are also unusually deep looking for what's supposed to be a dried, parched desert area. Certain colors offend me more than others, but I'd be content with the rather simplistic compromise in Option B. What really annoys me is the variable detail - again, many of the models seem to clash with one another, with the rangers seeming particularly odd looking. I actually prefer the ones from the original, in spite of that one comically proportioned fat guy in the back. But they exist alongside these incredibly underdetailed cacti and incredibly detailed cars. The entire scene just seems...bland to me.

But I mean, don't mind me, because I still like my concept the best:
wl2pic.png

My comment was mostly aimed at the ones who wanted Option C, which is completely artificial "hurr yeah i want wasteland be barren." But I don't really like the colors either. Not the hues per se, so much as how unevenly distributed everything is. The new character models seem to have this shiny, painted porcelain look to them with as much contrast as the gas station, which both look nauseating against the dingy, cheese-colored rocks and terrain. The colors on the gas station building are also unusually deep looking for what's supposed to be a dried, parched desert area. Certain colors offend me more than others, but I'd be content with the rather simplistic compromise in Option B. What really annoys me is the variable detail - again, many of the models seem to clash with one another, with the rangers seeming particularly odd looking. I actually prefer the ones from the original, in spite of that one comically proportioned fat guy in the back. But they exist alongside these incredibly underdetailed cacti and incredibly detailed cars. The entire scene just seems...bland to me.

But I mean, don't mind me, because I still like my concept the best:
wl2pic.png

I like your concept too bro! :bro:

Ion Prothon II

Liturgist
Now, when the colors of the picture are right (or let's pretend they are), would be nice if InXile solved also the problem of *what* is in the picture :smug:

EG

Nullified
Now, when the colors of the picture are right (or let's pretend they are), would be nice if InXile solved also the problem of *what* is in the picture :smug:

Everything.

We've got to keep those attention-lite people interested.

DraQ

Arcane
TBH I would find palette matching the concept art best, but other than that somewhere between B and C.
Kahlis' mock-up is generally pretty good too.

Also, get fucking rid of green radioactive fumes. They were fucking old and campy already back when SS2 was released, now, after STALKERs and even fucking FO3 they're disgrace, not to mention even FO didn't seem to use that shit much even though it was based on SCIENCE! instead of science.

Kahlis

Cipher
Yeah, I also don't like how the water itself has that Pixel Shader 2.0 look to it. No depth - it looks like an infinitely deep swimming pool with algae growing in it, not a heterogeneous mixture of radioactive waste.

Gord

Arcane
I don't know, I can't help but find this whole discussion over some early-and-barely-more-than-concept-screenshot pretty stupid.

DraQ

Arcane
I would fucking love a post-nuclear PA game where it's when water is clear and clean looking when you should seriously worry about puking up your intestines' lining and dying horribly after drinking it. Especially when it's standing water.

Radiation tends to kill off or at least inhibit growth of bacteria, algae and other stuff making water look like dissolved turd.

I guess the only thing worse than unnaturally clear water would be water with faint blue glow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom