Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News First work in progress screenshot of Wasteland 2 revealed

Looks good. Those guys would get raped by that thing standing out in the open in front of it. Just sayin'.

Though that ladder to the roof of the petrol station looks like it might have some promise. Far cooler would be if you could lure the roboscorpion to the petrol station and then shoot the petrol resevoir to blow the place up and bring the building down on the roboscorp, at the cost of no longer being able to access the petrol there. That would be hoping far too much for what is still an indie project though - I'm certainly not expecting that kind of reactivity.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
It looks pretty damn cool. Could use a little less saturation, and a little more details, sure, but I'm just really glad the character models aren't like the caricatures in Diablo 3 (and every other new game, it seems).

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
To be honest, I don't like the screenshot. Not because of the colors, but because the characters are positioned like shit. It's obvious that the hex grid is not implemented yet and they positioned the models for a group picture.

However this picture is just an development snapshot, this is not Alpha and certainly not Beta stage stuff. Therefore they have time to improve it and ... I simply don't care to comment any longer, as I'm more interested in gameplay mechanics.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
To be honest, I don't like the screenshot. Not because of the colors, but because the characters are positioned like shit. It's obvious that the hex grid is not implemented yet and they positioned the models for a group picture.
Or maybe InXile belongs to satan:

2i1f5v9.jpg

Clearly they were right about role-playing games all along.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
It's good to see that we're in 2012 and 3D graphics still look like shit compared to 2D graphics.

Go through this thread and look at the Fallout Tactics and Robin Hood, Legend of Sherwood screenshots. Those games are 10-11 years old.

Look at the awesome amount of detail that is visible in each of those screenshots. Then look at the lack of detail in the Wasteland 2 screenshot. It's cartoony shit that looks like a kid's game, the Toy Story guys don't look out of place at all.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Looks cool. Wasteland itself was 'cartoonish' so I have no problems with the sequel being colourful as well, even if to a lesser degree. In fact, that's what I'd expect, and not anything grimdarkbrown. In any case, introducing a slider sounds like a good solution to keep most people satisfied.

Stelcio

Savant
Looks cool. Wasteland itself was 'cartoonish' so I have no problems with the sequel being colourful as well, even if to a lesser degree.
On the other hand, was there any game in 1988 that DIDN'T look cartoonish? Hardly. That's what games looked like back then and it was because of 16 colours palette, not because of some deeply thought artistic direction.

Also, what is so cool about this screenshot? I mean everyone. I just see some random cumswallowing here and no actual praise for anything. Critical posts here actually raise some issues with the shot but then they are dismissed with some "no u, ma fix iz good" attitude. Can't see anything particularly 'cool' on the picture.

Charles-cgr

OlderBytes
Developer
Project: Eternity
With a $3M budget and considering that resources put in graphics aren't put in content & gameplay, I wouldn't be too overly critical of the art quality. That wouldn't be pushing them in the right direction. And Inxile does lurk the Codex.

Black

Arcane
WL2 will truly be the game that evolves the Codex. Or kills it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
This thread is proof some of you dumb fucks will complain just for the sake of complaining.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
It's good to see that we're in 2012 and 3D graphics still look like shit compared to 2D graphics.

Go through this thread and look at the Fallout Tactics and Robin Hood, Legend of Sherwood screenshots. Those games are 10-11 years old.

Look at the awesome amount of detail that is visible in each of those screenshots. Then look at the lack of detail in the Wasteland 2 screenshot. It's cartoony shit that looks like a kid's game, the Toy Story guys don't look out of place at all.

I have to agree. I don't like the screenshot. That being said I realize that (i) the original Wasteland had a wacky cartoonish style going on too (not only graphics, but the whole theme and atmosphere of the game), (ii) gameplay, not graphics will (hopefully) be a priority in this game and (iii) this is an early pre-alpha shot, so there is still room for improvements.

This is why the screenshot doesn't bother me too much, however I do think it is rather ugly.

bonescraper

They better tone that game down. It's oversaturated because InXile can't into proper lighting, not because of their "artistic vision". Just play Hunted: Demon's Forge, that game burns your retinas like a motherfucking supernova.

Other than that, i'm pleasantly surprised. Given how early they're in in development and how low is their budget, it looks great.

Stelcio

Savant
Also something came into my mind. You guys say 'hey, its WASTLAND, its supposed to be cartoonish!'. But were these cartoonish?
desert-rangers-concept.jpg

wl2S-800x600.jpg

WL2logo-800x600.jpg

This shot is no way coherent with those marvelous concept arts.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I agree with the complaint that the shot is oversaturated. There doesn't seem to be any color rendering in that shot though, so I'm not worried about having my retinas burned out at release. Keep in mind they released this shot primarily for feedback. "Subject to change" is an understatement.

Stelcio
You are aware that first two are character/creature designs, and the third the box art? None of those are environmental concept art.

mbpopolano24

Arbiter
This thread is proof some of you dumb fucks will complain just for the sake of complaining.

Amen, brother. And some of you (add 'dumb fucks' if you will) will complain about complaining just for the sake of increasing gas emission. Money back, please.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Wait, we paid for that?

That's the last time I'm doing that Kickstarter shit.

Stelcio

Savant
Stelcio
You are aware that first two are character/creature designs, and the third the box art? None of those are environmental concept art.
Nope. This is creature design:
fallout_3_conceptart_1b0B4.jpg

The scorpitron image is much more and I'm pretty sure it was meant to be much more.
megazver: Fallout went for burnt out desert wastes, since that fits with the contemporary ideas about nuclear holocaust. But now we knows that it would be probably way, way greener. Empty and overgrown. What will Wasteland 2 be like?

CFA: I think a mix of environments should set it apart from other post-apoc games, and the Scorpitron image is pretty telling. Confining it to a single environment type with a single color filter can get exhausting for players.

On the first image: the screenshot is titled "Environment and Character Style Development", so putting character concept art for comparision is pretty appropriate, isn't it.

Box art should also be art-coherent with the game. Putting this as cover of Team Fortress 2 would be kinda fraud.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom