Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

FO3 is not nearly as bad as you hystronic nerds make it out to be

ThatsRightImInIt

Educated
the gameplay of FO1/2... an open world FPS

Pick one.
Can games no longer move across genres while still retaining certain systems that make it what it is? Is Tetris 100 no longer a tetris game because they incorporated multiplayer battle royale elements?

ThatsRightImInIt

Educated
The mere look of ugly NPC faces in FO3 makes me vomit. And look what they’ve done to our Vault Boy: once an ingredient of the whole dire atmosphere, it has become a marketing tool to lure the many console retards.

Though tbh I’m not really favoring even the 2. Only the first FO is a king.
all 2000's Bethesda games had the ugliest fucking faces, that's a fact. Even in Skyirm they still looked retarded, but at least they slightly resembled human beings

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The mere look of ugly NPC faces in FO3 makes me vomit. And look what they’ve done to our Vault Boy: once an ingredient of the whole dire atmosphere, it has become a marketing tool to lure the many console retards.

They even ruined the look of Vault Boy himself. The aesthetic of Bethesda's Vault Boy is considerably different than that of Interplay/Black Isle. New Vegas' is much closer to the original.

latest

Tramell Ray Isaac, Fallout.

latest

Brian Menze, Fallout 2, Fallout: New Vegas.

latest

Natalia Smirnova, Fallout 3, Fallout 4, Fallout 76.

It makes sense New Vegas' Vault Boy resembles the originals as Menze's artstyle closely tried to mirror Isaac's, plus he also worked on Fallout 2.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
-retained VATS system complete with targeting limbs and percentage points given for probability for bullet impact

You can't "retain" a system that didn't exist in ANY of the previous Fallout games, including the lesser-liked spinoffs Fallout Tactics and the console game Brotherhood of Steel.

You are fake news.
You're being pedantic. Okay it wasn't called VATS in 1/2, but it was a more or less identical system nonetheless, aside from 3's being easier to get hits with

A combat system that lets you pause within a real-time action game to take aimed shots with a chance to hit based on character stats is not the same as a turn-based combat system.

VATS lets you pause and take an aimed shot.
Then the dice are rolled to see if your character hits.
When your character takes the shots, the game progresses in real time, albeit slowed down.
It's not turn-based. Not even remotely. Nobody is taking turns. Your character can get hit by enemy shots while performing a VATS attack.
Action points regenerate over time, in real-time, rather than the combat being split into player turns and enemy turns, with each side having their full action points during their turn.

VATS is nothing like FO1/2.

You are being retarded and have no idea how game systems work.

Okagron

Prophet
-you can still make major choices that drastically impact the game, I.e. the ability to wipe an entire town off the map, among others, also plenty of quests that have multiple solutions
What choices that drastically impact the game? There are none. The one you mentioned is probably the most retarded choice in the game. Guy wants to destroy a whole town of people because "it's ruining the view from his tower". And then the game goes out of its way to make that choice meaningless by making Moira turn into an instant ghoul so that you don't miss out on that crap Survival Guide questline and your dad is "disappointed" with you but then forgets about it.

When people say they want choices, they want meaningful choices. All the choices and solutions to quests in Fallout 3 are absolute meaningless, with no affect on anything whatsoever. Not to mention a lot of the solutions are overly simplistic and too easy to achieve.

Also, Fallout 3 didn't translate jack and shit from the first two games. It's like someone parading around in your favorite series's clothes, telling you that it's totally part of your favorite series. But it's not. It's a cobbled together pretender that uses recognizable iconography and some RPG systems from the series to make people think it's an actual Fallout game.

It's not "mediocre", it's not "not that bad", it's an absolute travesty. And the existence of Fallout 4 doesn't make it less bad.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
It is, for all intents and purposes, the gameplay of FO1/2 transplanted into an open world FPS

All you need to know about the OP.
Oh c'mon man you know what I meant. Fallout NV was built on the foundations of 3, to the point where at launch many people compared NV to an expansion pack for 3... it has identical gameplay systems (sans slightly better aiming, town reputation, and gun smithing which are all relatively minor mechanics), i.e. leveling up and assigning skill points/perks, same skill minigames, same exploration etc. and it seems most hardcore WRPG fans consider that to be an excellent game. Do you guys seriously not see how 3 retained many of the gameplay elements of 1/2, just translated them to an FPS environment? Will you really not give the game absolutely any credit as far as that goes?

Imagine two identical airplane control panels, where you can flip all the buttons and have pretty lights and buzzers and shit. This is the analogy for FO3/FONV user interface. One of those panels is connected to the airplane, the other isn't. On the surface they're the same. You have stats and dialogue and shit. But in FONV your experience is less railroaded, stats actually do something, and world reactivity in general is far higher.

Of course FO1/2 world reactivity absolutely surpasses everything that came after them. Those were real genuine attempts to make living RPG worlds, and a lot of care was put into subtle reactivity on different levels which created an illusion of elasticity in your surroundings.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Also: YOU CAN’T KILL KIDS! It completely describes what kind of fucking retards Bethesda are. Killing kids is bad you got it? Thus you’re not gonna be able. That’s simple fucking logic. And they then parry with: oh you mad piece of shit you wanna kill kids aren’t you you sick fuck? No I don’t, I just find this restrictions in game being a fourth wall breaking. When I accidentally killed a child NPC who was standing next to the hostile in F2 I got (if I remember correctly) a trait child killer which caused reputation penalty, thus I immediately loaded save game, though the encounter was tough. That’s how you make a world which actually reacts to your deeds.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Compare the character screens. 1/2/Tactics showed you all you needed to know about your character on a single 640x480 screen and three little tabs.
Fallout 3 makes you switch between FIVE tabs. On modern screens which are far larger. A good chunk of it is also used to show your pip-boy rather than the info you want and need.

scr00006.jpg

afallout3pip2.jpg

blankspace.jpg

What an unfortunate design decision. This was clearly a decision taken with consoles in mind, as people tend to sit farther away from their TVs and so everything needs to be big enough.

redactir

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
FO4 is better than FO3 in many ways. FO4 was less childlike than FO3 was in its tone. But took significant steps down in its own way.
It also got better at representing some of the art of the originals, also in its own way.

FO4 relies on a conspiracy of generic but alright gameplay. Whereas FO3 tried to be more charming even if it was often bad at it.
FO3 has worse consistency but atleast tried to tease the player.

Both games sadly tie your background down to family-oriented bs, and worse make the MQs largely about your family too. This immediates lowers quality of the game as it has no flexiblity in subject matter.
Instead an MQ should revolve around more than one thing, or just one thing that implies many things but which things is not to be written in stone.

RPGs done right leave many things open to the player's identity from the start to the end.
It's about reactivity the player can have to events and reactivity by the game to the player's decisions. This is what makes a role fun or boring to play.
In this regard replayability then is made better or worse depending on if the game is developed around such openess.

FO3 and FO4 are at heart far worse RPGs than FO1 & FO2. They are closed systems fitted only to the results bethesda-dev thought would be neat at the time.

That said the old games were also created by true MASTERS of game design,
which makes the old games seem in practice a grade higher than they perhaps really are in theory.

Last edited:

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
And they then parry with: oh you mad piece of shit you wanna kill kids aren’t you you sick fuck?

This alone proves that the people who currently are Fallout's audience are the audience only because Bethesda changed everything Fallout was about. I've heard people complain about New Vegas' choices because they weren't black and white and thus they had to choose between two shitty decisions.

Tigranes

Arcane
-retained VATS system complete with targeting limbs and percentage points given for probability for bullet impact

ha

HAHAHAHA

Anyone who couldn't tell that FO3 VATS literally broke the game with its weird ass nonsensical bullet time letting you kill people for free with no chance of them fighting back in a real time game

You guys could probably play a game where stats are bugged and half of your items don't do anything and not notice for 10 hours

howlingFantods

Learned
When I accidentally killed a child NPC who was standing next to the hostile in F2 I got (if I remember correctly) a trait child killer which caused reputation penalty, thus I immediately loaded save game, though the encounter was tough. That’s how you make a world which actually reacts to your deeds.

What’s the point of having a reactive world if you’re just going to load the game as soon as it reacts to you? Makes for better stories to play through shit like that

Butter

Arcane
Patron
- An actually decent plot; FO3 that is so bad, even most of the new games' fans agree that it was a linear, unworkable piece of shit plot with an horrible ending.
Don't browse the Fallout subreddit. There's a strong contingent of mouth-breathers on there who actually defend Fallout 3's story. It's emotional or some shit.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
-retained the perk system in its entirety, obviously different perks but mechanically it works the same
-retained the SPECIAL system, lets you dole out points for it at character creation just like the classics
-retained the dark/seedy side of the FO series, slavery, prostitution, extreme gory violence, drug abuse, etc. either all present in the game or heavily implied
-you can still make major choices that drastically impact the game, I.e. the ability to wipe an entire town off the map, among others, also plenty of quests that have multiple solutions
-retains the original skill/tag system, albeit with some streamlining throw in, but level ups still work the same way
-managed to work AP into real time FPS gameplay

I’m not saying FO3 is by any means a great or even a very good game. The combat/shooting is terrible and I hate the graphics/general aesthetic. But I think it’s time Fallout fans grow up and admit that FO3 could have been way worse. It is, for all intents and purposes, the gameplay of FO1/2 transplanted into an open world FPS. Did Bethesda miss the mark when it came to writing, tone, and some of the deeper intricacies of the series themes? Yes, that’s an argument that could be made. But come on, it could have been FO4, for instance, which actually is a complete and utter train wreck of experience and not even an RPG.

“Bbbbut Bethesda ruined the story :(((( omg they made a DLC with aliens and one of the developers said he likes slapstick humor that means it’s shit!” The same people spouting this, btw, will defend all the retarded shit in FO2 to the grave.
:fallout3:

redactir

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
I should probably take this opportunity to shit on FO3 some more.. I don't often talk about it.

Fallout 3 is a vain attempt at inclusivity of elements of the olds games. It's about shit no one really cares about and is more fun to think about reasons to care about it instead.
But all is definitely shit in Fallout 3. A nightmare of level design in the prison of unfinished dreams.

It doesn't help itself by having many consequences of the game's quest design and backstory close off openess it desperately needs.
1) being locked out the vault 101 for no reason for certain periods
2a) raiders are raiders, but always violent as if they are irradiated angry ghouls
2b) lame ogre mutants
3a) dumbass ending options pre-DLC game (hard to forgive this happened)
3b) ultmately almost no ending-slide differences
4) the linear & corny liberty prime endgame-sequence
5) invisble walls (yay laziness)
etc

Low effort quest designs.
Watered down customization of the player character.
Stat checks are shit and not widely used enough.
Derpy main bosses e.g. John Henry Eden and Colonel Autumn
Unkillable main characters (very lazy and terrible repercussions on plot flexibiility)

I'm starting to get angry going over all this. I'll end this post with: the worldspace for the wasteland doesnt' faciliate enjoyable wandering.
All of fucking bethesda's attempts at a wasteland are shit. The wandering is just cancerously predictable and meaningless.

-retained the perk system in its entirety, obviously different perks but mechanically it works the same
-retained the SPECIAL system, lets you dole out points for it at character creation just like the classics
-retained the dark/seedy side of the FO series, slavery, prostitution, extreme gory violence, drug abuse, etc. either all present in the game or heavily implied
-retains the original skill/tag system, albeit with some streamlining throw in, but level ups still work the same way
-managed to work AP into real time FPS gameplay

I’m not saying FO3 is by any means a great or even a very good game. The combat/shooting is terrible and I hate the graphics/general aesthetic. But I think it’s time Fallout fans grow up and admit that FO3 could have been way worse. It is, for all intents and purposes, the gameplay of FO1/2 transplanted into an open world FPS. Did Bethesda miss the mark when it came to writing, tone, and some of the deeper intricacies of the series themes? Yes, that’s an argument that could be made. But come on, it could have been FO4, for instance, which actually is a complete and utter train wreck of experience and not even an RPG.

“Bbbbut Bethesda ruined the story :(((( omg they made a DLC with aliens and one of the developers said he likes slapstick humor that means it’s shit!” The same people spouting this, btw, will defend all the retarded shit in FO2 to the grave.
I always liked Fallout 3. It was my first Fallout. But compared to Fallout 1&2 it’s garbage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom