Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fortune's Run - retro FPS inspired by Quake, Deus Ex and E.Y.E - now available on Early Access

toughasnails

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1692240/view/3702579446771626828?l=english
The future of Fortune's Run!
A vague description of the coming months!
Hey! The roadmap! We didn't forget!

So, our current plan is to release the next major unit of content in 6 months. This is not a hard deadline. Currently, the schedule seems pretty packed to hit this date, so we may move it further out if we are not in a good state by then. The absolute latest we expect to have it out is 8 months if everything goes wrong. We may also be done a little bit quicker if things go over well.

What will that content be, you ask? There will be two primary areas added to the game.

528b3bd7564c84f50c69cb0f8152d148f5da4e9f.png

Wait, isn't that just the hub from the demo? Why yes! But with many new connected areas.

The first one will be New Zabra, the non-combat hub. It is the city in which the game takes place. You will be re-visiting throughout the game as it is where the story advances and where missions will be acquired. The hub will not be finalized in this release since it will be updated with additional NPCs and quests throughout the progression of the story. Currently, you will be able to explore the central area as well as Mozah's modest accommodations, and you will be able to explore some expositionary dialogue as well as receive the next mission, included in the same release.

5d87307c0c7aa64c63eed99affcc616333984664.png

This new area will introduce an entirely new faction and explore what their way of life is like.

The second location will be the abandoned railway tunnels below New Zabra. The city is comprised of many districts built on top of one another, and the lowest ones have been abandoned due to the dwindling population. The public transportation tunnels which connected those now barren areas have been taken over by a strange group of off-worlders. Mozah will need to infiltrate it in order to complete a mission of subterfuge and sabotage.

This content release will be the first time you see level art not created by me, Dizzie. I have collaborated with the other developer, Arachne, on the hub, and the railway tunnels are a collaboration between Arachne and Foxen, a part-time environment artist which we used our Patreon income to hire. I hope you like the variety in the new environments!

2cb862d5bf1d2634ee6a893ad33885464594205b.png

Citizens of the Empire! Welcome... To... The... Arena!

In the meantime, we are releasing Arena Mode, so that you have something to chew on while you wait for the new content! This mode is not infinite, but currently it's so dang hard that I doubt anyone will get to the end of it. It is currently a gauntlet, meaning you cannot heal at any point and must simply survive as many rounds as possible. We are thinking of adding healing every X number of rounds, and increasing the total number of rounds. Please leave your feedback! This is a very early version and we are looking to improve it a lot. We find it very fun already, as it's a great opportunity to test out all the combat mechanics.

Initially we wanted to take a month off to work to recover from the mad crunch and create side-content such as challenge maps and more in-depth tutorials. Unfortunately, the game has barely sold enough to allow us to live as two people below a single minimum wage for the next year and a half, so it looks like we're going to have to compact our schedule, crunch even harder and cut as much content as possible to be able to release without hemorrhaging all of our money. I am currently guesstimating that enough additional sales will trickle in over the course of the year to make that into two and a half years, which would be enough time to complete the project, although it will remain an absolutely insane volume of work at that pace. We work every day from the moment we wake up to when we go to sleep, and we take one weekend a month, just about. I think I'd like to write more deeply on that + the harassment we've been facing in the near future, but I won't bore you with the details for now. I still haven't decided how I feel about it! All I know is that we set out on this project because we really love the medium of videogames and we wanted to tell this story, and that hasn't changed yet, so you best believe that we are still in the race. Also, I hate that even saying any of this will probably provoke some kind of hateful reaction from someone in the forums, that's mostly been the take-away for me these past few days. ;D

So, I guess, stay tuned for more details! We'll be posting updates semi-frequently. If you want the absolute latest, most cutting edge news, visit us on the Discord. We are almost always available to answer your questions.

(The patch notes for the arena update will be available as a separate news post so that they can be tied to the build!)

See you, Galactic Gauchos,
-Team Fortune

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Early Access, so might as well not exist until it's actually released.
I sometimes buy early access juat to support them. I think of it like late kickstarter pledge. To my surprise, blood west which i bougbt few months ago actually gonna get released in the end of the year.

Imo the lens you have to see it is not "it's playable/i can get hours of fun" but "it's a promising project that i am willing to risk the rest of the game sucking or the project halted so i can support ongoing development and give feedback"

Your attitude in general is right, but sometimes i just feel like if a project is promising enough and dev has good track record enough then it's worth the risk.

Jinn

Arcane
I sometimes buy early access juat to support them. I think of it like late kickstarter pledge. To my surprise, blood west which i bougbt few months ago actually gonna get released in the end of the year.
Yeah, I'll do that with developers I trust and who have delivered in the past. That's pretty much it for early access though.

Also for the rare codexer developer with good intentions.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Early Access, so might as well not exist until it's actually released.

Imo the lens you have to see it is not "it's playable/i can get hours of fun" but "it's a promising project that i am willing to risk the rest of the game sucking or the project halted so i can support ongoing development and give feedback"

Your attitude in general is right, but sometimes i just feel like if a project is promising enough and dev has good track record enough then it's worth the risk.
Me too, when it's a combination of game I want to play for a bit before release, with a discount and devs are stating there will be a price increase when it releases... but when they flat out say the price will be the same after early access release like this game then there's really no incentive to get it early.. Also like to check to see how often they have been updating it and what the updates consist of.

oscar

Arcane
This looks super cool. Love the voxels, 90s sci fi aesthetic, breakcore/dnb soundstrack and very smooth looking gun and melee-play.

Jinn

Arcane
Ah yes, just what I always wanted in my FPS. A tale about sexual abuse and sexual identity.

Lemming42

Arcane
The sexual assault stuff is gonna be such a total misfire, I can already tell. As I wrote upthread, I spent the whole early access in a state of heightened tension just waiting for something fucking horrific to happen, and the fact that it didn't just means that the anxiety will transfer into the next bit they release.

Whatever they want to convey and however strongly they feel about it, this just isn't the right medium for it. The game does tap into a grimy, foreboding feeling of malaise, which I suppose pairs well with the revolting horror of the topic they want to portray, but it's just going to be such a jarring and fun-wrecking nightmare to be jolted from "hmm, how am I going to get through this room undetected" to "oh, now allegorical sexual violence involving aliens with long tongues is playing out on my screen".

Jinn

Arcane
It's moronic. Don't let your life be ruled by your trauma and don't make it the main focus of your art. It's just childish. The only reason I'm offended by this shit is purely aesthetic.

Unwishlisted, uninterested, won't play it even if it does get finished, fuck this generation.

Lemming42

Arcane
Ugh, what was the drama about, again?
You mean the pre-release drama? The devs got into a scrap with Steam about the tags for the game, because Steam playtesters (no, I didn't know Steam actually playtested the shit on their platform either) failed to beat the tutorial, and also objected to the content warning on the store page for some arcane reason. The devs relayed this story in a confusing blog post in which nobody could quite tell exactly what had happened or what Steam's alleged problem was. They claimed these issues may lead to the game's EA release being delayed.

People started questioning the devs to try and tease apart what had actually happened, and one person asking questions was Dave Oshry. The devs were a bit snappy with him in response. Since Dave Oshry is a LIVING LEGEND having made like two mediocre games, his fanbase all rallied round him and said they'd boycott Fortune's Run, for the devs were now guilty of Crimes Against Dave. Dave himself was actually very reasonable about it and told people there was no reason for a boycott.

Beowulf

Arcane
Ugh, what was the drama about, again?
You mean the pre-release drama? The devs got into a scrap with Steam about the tags for the game, because Steam playtesters (no, I didn't know Steam actually playtested the shit on their platform either) failed to beat the tutorial, and also objected to the content warning on the store page for some arcane reason. The devs relayed this story in a confusing blog post in which nobody could quite tell exactly what had happened or what Steam's alleged problem was. They claimed these issues may lead to the game's EA release being delayed.

People started questioning the devs to try and tease apart what had actually happened, and one person asking questions was Dave Oshry. The devs were a bit snappy with him in response. Since Dave Oshry is a LIVING LEGEND having made like two mediocre games, his fanbase all rallied round him and said they'd boycott Fortune's Run, for the devs were now guilty of Crimes Against Dave. Dave himself was actually very reasonable about it and told people there was no reason for a boycott.
Thank you for the explanation, but I meant the sexual abuse controversy, as I'm out of the loop.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom