Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Four Horsemen of Incline - Underrail, Grimoire, Kenshi and KotC

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Underrail, Grimoire, Kenshi and KotC

One of these games, impressive though it may be, doesn't belong with the others.
Which one? They're all made by small teams or even solo devs, and each is a different subgenre of RPG.

Underrail - Fallout-like
Grimoire - blobber
Kenshi - open world explorefag RPG
KotC - tactical dungeon crawler

He doesn't consider Grimoire as being from the KS or post-KS era

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
and it is to the people who bought those games en masse.

What? How?
If cRPGs were so popular, more companies would be making AAA cRPGs.
Truth is cRPGs have always been niche. People would rather flock to AAA garbage instead. To them, that garbage is the best thing ever. And AAA companies, for the most part, succeed with their games.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Sigourn Pay attention tranny

You said sales were important to buyers, how? How does financial success of some company impact my enjoyment of gameplay?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Sigourn Pay attention tranny

You said sales were important to buyers, how? How does financial success of some company impact my enjoyment of gameplay?
Continuous sales are a reflection that the buyers enjoy those games.
Unless I'm to believe somehow a franchise like Call of Duty keeps on existing in spite of everyone hating it, which I doubt.

Moreover, if I really like a game, I want it to sell well to get more games like it. It not always works out that way, but better have it sell well than have the developer go bankrupt.

Who gives a shit either way, you are still a retard for thinking AAA companies are incapable of making good cRPGs, as opposed to them purposefully avoiding cRPGs altogether.
Otherwise, name 10 AAA cRPGs from the past 5 years.

EDIT:

K, you can't argue to save your life.

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Underrail, Grimoire, Kenshi and KotC

One of these games, impressive though it may be, doesn't belong with the others.
Which one? They're all made by small teams or even solo devs, and each is a different subgenre of RPG.

Underrail - Fallout-like
Grimoire - blobber
Kenshi - open world explorefag RPG
KotC - tactical dungeon crawler

He doesn't consider Grimoire as being from the KS or post-KS era
qM4Ygrk.jpg

Last edited:

Baron Tahn

Scholar
Gotta say, Grimoire gives me the shits too if thats the elephant in the room we are talking around here.

No point in ragging on it because this place is like the Church of the Golden Baby and it'll just be a lynching.

I guess I really wanted it to be my new favorite game when it came out but it was soured and now I am jaded.

I await the new gold standard of blobbers, have for a long time, but Grimoire just wasn't it.

Kenshi is fkn awesome tho.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Quantity of sales is not indicative of a product's quality.

Not only that. As a gamer there is no reason to care about sales at all. Sales aren't gameplay for fucks sake.
The reason to care about it would be that you want your favorite developer to stay afloat and continue producing games. The irony is that if they ever become too successful, they immediately sell out and produce casual shovelware instead of the quality games that made you like them in the first place. There's a thin line you want developers to walk. They shouldn't be starving, but they should be subsisting on roots.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
MCDonalds burgers sell more than wagyu steaks.

Cheap cigarettes sell more than hand-rolled cigars.

Who the fuck even made this argument, what are you going on about?

My point is: McDonald's isn't interested in making wagyu steaks if it means their profits will drastically go down.
That's the AAA videogame industry in a nutshell. Why bother making a good AAA cRPGs when most people aren't interested in one?

If you ask wagyu steaks (good cRPGs) from McDonald's (e.g. Bethesda), the retard is you in the first place. It's not that they are incapable of, it's that they aren't interested in the first place.

Cologno

Educated
MCDonalds burgers sell more than wagyu steaks.

Cheap cigarettes sell more than hand-rolled cigars.

Who the fuck even made this argument, what are you going on about?

My point is: McDonald's isn't interested in making wagyu steaks if it means their profits will drastically go down.
That's the AAA videogame industry in a nutshell. Why bother making a good AAA cRPGs when most people aren't interested in one?

If you ask wagyu steaks (good cRPGs) from McDonald's (e.g. Bethesda), the retard is you in the first place. It's not that they are incapable of, it's that they aren't interested in the first place.
You really think Micky-D serves meat...you poor, naive son of a...well, the main thrust of your post is dumb libertarian standard rhetoric, the regular debasing everything down to simple economics. "They're doing it for the profits! Lol duh!"

Which is true, but only a fraction of it. See, they hate you. They hate me. They hate their customers. Hate, that's 95% of it right there and from which all this general shittiness derives.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
There has L.I.T.E.R.A.L.L.Y. been ZERO quality AAA games released since 2016. I've been thinking about this lately. Not to mention WOKE mind virus which has become official religion of mainstream Western gaming industry

Luckily many based indies and countless gaming gems from past shine on my ToPlay list. We should promote more these small, based indies on Codex. Promotion would mean more + bigger and better RPGs from these based devs in the future

Devs' biographies and posting on Codex matters. When they stop posting they lose their creative power. RPG Codex is Devs' muse

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This was never the point of the argument in this thread though? Nobody here ever asked for mainstream AAA devs to make RPGs. Nobody expects Bethesda to make another Morrowind.

The discussion here was entirely about indie and mid-sized companies who do make RPGs, and asking why so few of them are top tier.
Then you barge in and go "WELL NOBODY MAKES GOOD RPGS BECAUSE THE BIG BUDGET BILLIONAIRE COMPANIES DON'T MAKE RPGS HERP DERP DERP"

Ok?
Who cares?
AAA isn't even of good quality, look at ANY genre on the market right now and you will find 100% guaranteed an indie title that's miles better than the equivalent AAA slop.

Just like how you can go to a small local restaurant and get authentic delicious cuisine, but of course it has fewer visitors than the McDonalds on the main street.
The majority of people don't care about quality. Most people are retards.

But markets for discerning clienteles exists, and there are developers who provide for them.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Fewer people and great cuisine? Why go anywhere else. Private rooms too maybe?

Not a rpg but classic DOOM will always be my favorite mindless past time to remember.

The amount of stuff from today is like puss pouring out of a popped infected sore.

Sticking to JUST KS, I don't see many following the OPs examples. I won't consider itchio, steam, etc.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Sticking to JUST KS, I don't see many following the OPs examples. I won't consider itchio, steam, etc.

No let's consider all platforms.

But I don't see anything on the level of Grimoire, KotC 1-2, Underrail and Kenshi.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom