Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fun with Pierre Begue, creator of Knights of the Chalice

Arkadin

Arcane
Because I don't think KoTC is very good at being a combat simulator, probably BECAUSE it uses the D&D 3.5 ruleset.

'Sup Sawyer. Go back to SA forums, rope kid.

Lhynn

Arcane
Who thinks Project Eternity will have good encounter design, for instance? I don't. Not with Sawyer's Bland Soup of Console Balancing to make everyone feel equally capable lest people whine and cry about balancing, wrong choice of skills and whatever.
:bro:

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
So even here Sawyer wants to end fun ?
FFS people, get a grip.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS CAN SOMEONE TELL A LIBERTARIAN NIGGA TO SHUT THE FUCK UP CAUSE THE MARKET IS TALKING TO HIM

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Instead, the thing that I get to look forward to these days is to bask in hatred and take a good and long shit on poorly designed games. It is the only joy they have left for us.
Well, I still find more joy in replaying my favourite old games. But for how long ?

Instead, the thing that I get to look forward to these days is to bask in hatred and take a good and long shit on poorly designed games I donated over $250 to.

:smug:

I don't know what this is about but you give me the impression that you are awfully butthurt about what other people have done with their money. Are you poor? Let me buy you a fine meal sometime.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Instead, the thing that I get to look forward to these days is to bask in hatred and take a good and long shit on poorly designed games I donated over $250 to.

:smug:

I don't know this is about but you give me the impression that you are awfully butthurt about what other people have done with their money. Are your poor? Let me buy you a fine meal sometime.

Okay, I'll have some kebab please.

Yeah, I went there. :cool:

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Instead, the thing that I get to look forward to these days is to bask in hatred and take a good and long shit on poorly designed games. It is the only joy they have left for us. Who thinks Project Eternity will have good encounter design, for instance? I don't. Not with Sawyer's Bland Soup of Console Balancing to make everyone feel equally capable lest people whine and cry about balancing, wrong choice of skills and whatever.

How does spamming fireball because everything else is shit lead to good encounter design?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard

Instead, the thing that I get to look forward to these days is to bask in hatred and take a good and long shit on poorly designed games. It is the only joy they have left for us. Who thinks Project Eternity will have good encounter design, for instance? I don't. Not with Sawyer's Bland Soup of Console Balancing to make everyone feel equally capable lest people whine and cry about balancing, wrong choice of skills and whatever.

How does spamming fireball because everything else is shit lead to good encounter design?

PorkaMorka

Arcane
(...) being an artist. If you're good you'll make money.
:retarded:

Art is one of the few fields in which someone can genuinely see how good you are in no time whatsoever. It's one of the last fields in which you can whine that you're poor because nobody will recognize your genius.

Bbut "art that sells" and "art that is good" are two categories which only slightly overlap.

Allow me to illustrate with a Venn diagram.

vmx4wy.png

Size of circles not to scale.

April

Educated

Art is one of the few fields in which someone can genuinely see how good you are in no time whatsoever. It's one of the last fields in which you can whine that you're poor because nobody will recognize your genius.

Bbut "art that sells" and "art that is good" are two categories which only slightly overlap.

vmx4wy.png

What's good art?

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard

vmx4wy.png

Actually they overlap a lot more (I suspect a lot of codexers mistake "good art" for "art I like" but since most of you are autistic as fuck your opinions on the subject don't really matter), but that's not really the point. If you can make good art, you can make art that sells (and that usually involves learning a piece of software or two and making digital art). It may not necessarily be what you want to make, but nobody is obligated to subsidize your fucking hobby anyway. Set time aside to make shit that sells, then do what you want in your spare time.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
What's good art?

What is good art? Go to the monastery at the top of the mountain and ask Codex poster "Lyric Suite" that question. Report back with your findings.

I'll skip that discussion and simply say that Justin Beiber is "art that sells", but Justin Beiber is not "good art".

Lhynn

Arcane
Actually they overlap a lot more (I suspect a lot of codexers mistake "good art" for "art I like" but since most of you are autistic as fuck your opinions on the subject don't really matter.
Oh shut up you moronic dumbfuck, im tired of your pretentious tone and your half believable bullshit,
Art at its core is a mean to express your feelings tru your creativity, whether its good or bad only people that understand it can say.

We study games in general and RPGs in particular, we try to understand what makes them enjoyable and how to recreate it, therefore we are the people thats best qualified to say whats good and what isnt. (this does not make us right, just better qualified than the casual bystander that emits a judgement based on 5 minutes of footage and his experience with a different game of a different genre made with a different technology)

To follow on the idea that if its good art it will make money:
Art and finances are opposites, as the later deals with the managment of limited resources while the former is born of the unlimited potential of human creativity. Because art is a form of expresion it is obvious that in most cases not everyone will be able to relate to it, thus it will only appeal to those that can while alienating the rest. This is not financially advisable as alienating potential customers will probably dimishing your profits. but it is what gives games a distinctive feel and a soul. It is because of this that most profitable games are bland shit that anyone can eat, fast food if you will.

Anyway, saying that good art is easy to sell is the stupidest thing ive read on the codex, even sugesting that most of it is, is a fucking travesty and an insult to many great artist that died poor and alone and were only recognized after that, or never at all.

I could spend a whole afternoon talking about a subject that i know next to nothing about and embarrass myself more, but ill just drop it.

tl;dr: stop bullshitting me Mastermind

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Actually they overlap a lot more (I suspect a lot of codexers mistake "good art" for "art I like" but since most of you are autistic as fuck your opinions on the subject don't really matter.
Oh shut up you moronic dumbfuck, im tired of your pretentious tone and your half believable bullshit,

Wanna dry your tears on my dickshirt?

Art at its core is a mean to express your feelings tru your creativity, whether its good or bad only people that understand it can say.

Art at its core is entertainment that pretentious assholes like to pretend is something less primal.

We study games in general and RPGs in particular, we try to understand what makes them enjoyable and how to recreate it, therefore we are the people thats best qualified to say whats good and what isnt. (this does not make us right, just better qualified than the casual bystander that emits a judgement based on 5 minutes of footage and his experience with a different game of a different genre made with a different technology)

:lol: You don't study anything you smarmy fuck. You entertain yourself with a video game genre that primarily appeals to people who think their life sucks and want to be someone else for a while. Stop pretending you're actually engaging in some sort of transcendental meditation every time you double click the Fallout or Torment icon.

To follow on the idea that if its good art it will make money:
Art and finances are opposites, as the later deals with the managment of limited resources while the former is born of the unlimited potential of human creativity.

You don't need to be in finance to make money. Incidentally, good artists ARE very limited resources, which is why the best ones charge an arm and a leg for their work.

Because art is a form of expresion it is obvious that in most cases not everyone will be able to relate to it, thus it will only appeal to those that can while alienating the rest. This is not financially advisable as alienating potential customers only limits your resource pool more, but it is what gives games a distinctive feel and a soul. It is because of this that most profitable games are bland shit that anyone can eat, fast food if you will.

Art is a form of entertainment. Figuring out what the average dumbfuck finds entertaining and replicating it isn't hard if you're a good artist because a good artist has to have, by definition, a good mastery of the mechanics involved in producing said art, which is all it takes.

Anyway, saying that good art is easy to sell is the stupidest thing ive read on the codex, even sugesting that most of it is, is a fucking travesty and an insult to many great artist that died poor and alone and were only recognized after that, or never at all.

Go fuck yourself. This discussion has nothing to do with the past, but with the present where every asshole can set up a deviantfuck account, plaster all his shit furry animu drawings online then send a link to any potential employee or do custom jobs for customers(or if they're smart enough, just work on their own art related projects and promote them, which isn't hard at all if you're willing to put in the effort). The artists of the past didn't have a fraction of the exposure potential today's artists have.

I could spend a whole afternoon talking about a subject that i know next to nothing about and embarrass myself more, but ill just drop it.

Good idea.

Lhynn

Arcane
Art at its core is entertainment that pretentious assholes like to pretend is something less primal.[
You don't study anything you smarmy fuck. You entertain yourself with a video game genre that primarily appeals to people who think their life sucks and want to be someone else for a while. Stop pretending you're actually engaging in some sort of transcendental meditation every time you double click the Fallout or Torment icon.

But i do study it, i try different games because of their mechanics, their ways to tell a story, the characters in them, etc. To improve my own.
Art is entertaining in the same way food is delicious, but what you feed with it isnt your stomach.

You don't need to be in finance to make money. Incidentally, good artists ARE very limited resources, which is why the best ones charge an arm and a leg for their work.

How come good artist keep getting discovered every day then? if what you say its true then every good artist should have a very comfortable life style and freedom to do their thing, sadly, we dont live in a perfect world and it all comes down to knowing or getting noticed by the right people. Some good artist simply never get the chance, or are never recognized for their work because the one that did notice them wasnt too interested in it. The music industry is a prime example of this.

Art is a form of entertainment. Figuring out what the average dumbfuck finds entertaining and replicating it isn't hard if you're a good artist because a good artist has to have, by definition, a good mastery of the mechanics involved in producing said art, which is all it takes.

So you mean to say anyone that has had a fuck up on his carrer isnt a good artist? because they couldnt keep the high standards they set consistently? not even talking about those that got lucky a couple times and are sailing on the sea of success by phoning it in ever since? How can you say that art is a mechanical process? why dont we put computers to do it then? if its just replicating whats already been done with slight variations.

Go fuck yourself. This discussion has nothing to do with the past, but with the present where every asshole can set up a deviantfuck account, plaster all his shit furry animu drawings online then send a link to any potential employee or do custom jobs for customers(or if they're smart enough, just work on their own art related projects and promote them, which isn't hard at all if you're willing to put in the effort). The artists of the past didn't have a fraction of the exposure potential today's artists have.

And the artist of today dont have a fraction of the exposure that they will have in 100 years, your point? Plus would you consider pretty face #4 of the latest popular teenager show talented?
Fuck, do you even know how many famous actors today got rejected on their first would be gig in favor of the son/daughter of the producer? what if they had given up back then, what if tarantino had gotten a sweet job in an office and never went to his first big audition? how naive can you be you shit.

You are full of shit, your arguments are strawman at best and downright nonsensical most of the time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom