Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gabriel Knight: 20th Anniversary Edition - remake by Jane Jensen

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Like I said earlier, I fucking hate that "The Dangling Carrot of Sequel Possibility" is the fucking reason for these remakes. It's not the developer's fault, though - it's the shitty fucking attitude of Activision lately. You know, they were, at one point, willing to give the KQ license to Telltale for a sequel (Thank the fucking Lord or Holy Cthulhu or the fucking Flying Spaghetti Monster than those fucking QTE loving Monkey Boners didn't make a King's Quest) but now LSL and Gabriel Knight need remakes to test the waters?

Fuck THAT.

Sierra fans - we've been loyal. I made a KQ3 remake and a Space Quest 2 remake that have been downloaded and shared over half a million times that we can track - many more from other sites that just carried them because they were free. Sierra fans are vocal. They're load. They're crazy. We kept this shit alive for years while it was underground - we never gave up. And now, fuck, we have to PROVE that we can have the games back? Seriously, fuck fuck fuck fuck that. It makes me fucking mad. It does. That's shit. It's pure unmigitgated shit disguised as "business".

And what's worse is we'll get tons of fucking fanboys who are so desperate for anything labeled "Sierra" that they'll endure this fucking flogging - and I hope it's worth it, and people can get sequels with original stories. But, seriously, we keep the fucking flame alive for 10 years and now we have to prove something. Eat every part of my ass.

Bt

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
It's not; It's Codemasters, you're right there. Still, I know progress on the KQ, SQ and QFG licenses by Activision are still held up by this shit.

Bt

Divinity: Original Sin
Get ready for:
image271425y9vtu.jpg

Which was OK, even if the art was cartoonish... Only real problem is guybrush's hair. And they brought back Dominic Armato.

The point in remakes is making graphic's and interface better, and adding voice acting when these weren't possible at the time. That said, Gabriel is a game that doesn't need a remake, because it's pretty already, and it already has voice.

The enhancing of gabriel knight should maybe only enhance resolution of the graphics and improve modern day systems compatibility. GK 2 at least should have an HD treatment, at least to take those scan lines away.

Last edited:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
I know you've realised you misread my post, but Overseer's actually an interesting story as a remake because it was initially meant as a tech demo. It wasn't there to test the waters (TPD had been out for 2 years then) but literally for Intel to showcase their MPEG hardware chip. And since Intel were funding this, Access just threw something together quickly so they could have the tech demo out, and redoing Mean Streets as a flashback meant they could set the stage for the new real Tex game. Key difference from the argument I made: Overseer was NOT a carrot dangled in front of us, "buy this or we will never make a proper Tex game ever again." Of course Intel withdrawing out of the deal and Access having to release the game on their own did play a part in putting a halt to the series, but Access didn't know that at the time, and neither did we. Compare to this or to LSL where we are quite plainly told that the only way we'll ever maybe-baby see a sequel is if we buy the remake (of the remake).

Incidentally, as much as I dislike the MI remake and wouldn't touch it, I don't rage at it because, again, Lucas didn't promise that an avalanche of new MI games would follow if and only if enough of us buy the remake. I can safely ignore it and all's right with the world.

Sierra fans - we've been loyal. I made a KQ3 remake and a Space Quest 2 remake that have been downloaded and shared over half a million times that we can track
Oh yeah thank you for reminding me. You want to "test the waters"? Look at the downloads of IA's remake. Look at how many downloads QFG2VGA got. Or hey I have an even better idea! Look at how damn quick the copies of the verious CD rereleases of all the Sierra series vanish off the shelf. GOG downloads. There are literally a dozen ways they can "test the waters" without having to dangle that stupid carrot. AND half of them make them money too (like package rereleases of the old games - cost nothing to make, the games are all already there, slap DOSBox and you're done).

Here's the deal: you, ie Activision/Jensen/Lowe/whatever, YOU are the ones who have to prove to ME that you deserve my money still, after all these years. Not the other way round. You do NOT come to me and say that I have to prove myself before you deign give me a real sequel that may or may not suck.

And keep in mind that all this bile is coming from someone who praised Grey Matter and defended it on these very boards and loved every minute of it, and thinks Jensen still has it in her to do Awesome Stuff. That doesn't mean I'll play along with that carrot though. Or that I'll keep quiet about it.

And yes I know this is more Activision than Jensen to blame, but I have to vent anyway.

DeepOcean

Arcane
This remake thing has nothing to do with us, old fans but to mainly reach newfags, specially on the Iphone/Ipad and draw attention again to the ip. They decided to make a remake of GK 1 because it was when the story started, a perfect spot to making newfags enter on the franchise. This is wonderful for Activision but we are fucked. You have to wait alot of time for the remake, if the remake sells, then you have to wait years for a new game... Jane Jensen is one of the two people that really deserve the title of writer on the games industry (MCA is the other), the rest are just fan fic makers. If you are a storyfag with good taste and loves adventure games, man, you are fucked. At this point, I prefer them to make a new ip.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Let me say: I had a lot of working on the remakes I did over at IA. They were labors of love, for sure - but I am really glad, and really enjoying, working on a new IP. I think this remakes will end up being very nice, and I hope it does end up attracting new players - but I'm happy to be working on something that's on perhaps a smaller scale and an original work. I just think this attitude of "testing the waters" is taking advantage, and playing upon the hearts of the fans, who would bend over backwards for this stuff.

Bt

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Can we not all agree that a remake of GK is better than no remake at all ? This won't make the original game any worse.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Is it better than no remake? I really don't consider that to be a valid defense. It won't, of course, make the original game any worse, but is it a waste of time and man-hours? Maybe. But I don't like the thought of having ANYTHING is better than nothing. You could be offered a shit-biscuit and you'd say that was better than nothing? No, cause fuck the shit-biscuit.

(I don't think this remake will be a shit-biscuit - despite any controversy people have with Phoenix Online in the past, the game is in good hands with them on this one - it's right in their wheelhouse. I've never met a bigger gaggle of GK fans, and they work closely and personally with Jane Jensen.)

Bt

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Can we not all agree that a remake of GK is better than no remake at all ? This won't make the original game any worse.
I've seen plenty of movie remakes that were worse than no remake at all, so I can't agree.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
It won't make the original worse. Just like the new ME or COD or whatever other New Shit game won't make BAK or WOX or Uukrul or whatever worse. However, I will not agree that the remake is better than nothing at all, just like I will not agree that having a new Mass Effect is better than having no new RPG at all.

And at the end it comes down to what Bt said:
I just think this attitude of "testing the waters" is taking advantage, and playing upon the hearts of the fans, who would bend over backwards for this stuff.

This attitude is bad for us, and we should not excuse or condone it in any way.

Name

Cipher
I think we should really put this aside and wait to see the results since we can't do a damn thing about this. It's their property, bought by their money, they deserve to do whatever they think is right, testing water or what not.
I mean, even if it makes the original worse, so what? It's a game, a product of men, and men are driven by circumstances. To know what this remake will be like, you must first know the darkness that comes before... wait shit I'm reading too much canadian pulp fiction.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Canadian Pulp Fiction?

"Eh there hoser, I heard you been cheating on your lady."

"Uh, yeah, there sorry. It's just that Tim Horton's is so delicious."

"Hold on a minute there mister - I know that nothing beats pouring Timbits down your throat as you funnel coffee into your veins, but darnit man - your wife spends hours cooking for ya."

"Yeah, I guess I am a hoser, eh?"

"Yah. Now, let's finishing cutting this hole in Lake Ontario and catch some fish, yah?"

"Yah."

"Should we be fishing without a license, eh?"

- Red Mountie, by Ray Hoverdashin

Severian Silk

If I like the remake I might buy one of the newer games that come out. :salute:

Boleskine

Arcane
Thanks to a mod for spinning off the GK remake discussion into a new thread.

Since this game is slated for a mid-2014 release, it seems like a fair deal of the remake's success will rest with that of Moebius in regard to the technical aspects.

I've liked what I've seen, and if Phoenix Online is using the same Unity build they've used for Moebius it should be easier for them to focus on technical improvements. The game logic is done, the writing is done, the voices are done. It's just a matter of putting it all together.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Get ready for:
image271425y9vtu.jpg

Which was OK, even if the art was cartoonish... Only real problem is guybrush's hair.

I think you need a reminder:
the-secret-of-monkey-island-end.jpg

So, you see, the only real problem is the remake itself.

GK remake seems to look OK, though, doesn't look like it's gonna go newfag retarded cartoony.
That said, I also don't like this "let's make remake to see if a sequel would be successful". At least to me it doesn't make sense, but hey, what do I know about businesses? However, I do know that I won't buy it unless they have a boxed version (which seems unlikely as it won't be Kickstarted), like I did with Larry Reloaded.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
Get ready for:
image271425y9vtu.jpg

Which was OK, even if the art was cartoonish... Only real problem is guybrush's hair.

I think you need a reminder:
the-secret-of-monkey-island-end.jpg

So, you see, the only real problem is the remake itself.

GK remake seems to look OK, though, doesn't look like it's gonna go newfag retarded cartoony.
That said, I also don't like this "let's make remake to see if a sequel would be successful". At least to me it doesn't make sense, but hey, what do I know about businesses? However, I do know that I won't buy it unless they have a boxed version (which seems unlikely as it won't be Kickstarted), like I did with Larry Reloaded.

Pfffff, you graphixxxwhores make me sick.

66xvRET.png

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Canadian Pulp Fiction?

"Eh there hoser, I heard you been cheating on your lady."

"Uh, yeah, there sorry. It's just that Tim Horton's is so delicious."

"Hold on a minute there mister - I know that nothing beats pouring Timbits down your throat as you funnel coffee into your veins, but darnit man - your wife spends hours cooking for ya."

"Yeah, I guess I am a hoser, eh?"

"Yah. Now, let's finishing cutting this hole in Lake Ontario and catch some fish, yah?"

"Yah."

"Should we be fishing without a license, eh?"

- Red Mountie, by Ray Hoverdashin

Better than Dostoevsky.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Will buying the remake give a strong signal that the public wants a new game (new IP or a sequel like GK4) or instead give a strong signal that the public wants more remakes?

Boleskine

Arcane
Will buying the remake give a strong signal that the public wants a new game (new IP or a sequel like GK4) or instead give a strong signal that the public wants more remakes?
I'm not sure, maybe a mix of both.

But I'm not counting on success of the GK remake to lead to Activision licensing Jane Jensen to do GK4. It's possible, but even then it's a miracle the "mystery game x" was announced after being delayed for so long then rebooted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom