Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial Gamebanshee Game of the Year 2012 Awards: Scraping the Bottom of the Barrel Edition

SearchEngine

Learned
The entire 2003-2008 period was pretty horrible. 2008 had the sort-of-RPG King's Bounty, which I think was pretty nice. On the other hand, I can't remember a single good game from 2005 or 2006.

To be fair, there were at least 1 or 2 great games from each year of that period:

2003: Escape Velocity Nova, Geneforge 2
2004: Vampire: The Masquerade-Bloodlines, KotOR 2
2005: Hammer & Sickle, Gothic II & NotR, Space Rangers 2
2006: Gothic 3 (arguably), Ultima 5 Lazarus
2007: Depths of Peril, NWN: Mask of the Betrayer, Witcher (arguably)

It was still a very bad season for RPGs though. You're right about that.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Secondly, you're both hypocrites for trying to maintain this "2012 was crappy and the games are shit"-attitude here, while on GB praising the shit out of the same games.
Again, I did not vote nor was I involved in these GotY awards. No idea why you're pinging me or calling me a hypocrite, but the sentiment is warmly received and appreciated.

EG

Nullified
Secondly, you're both hypocrites for trying to maintain this "2012 was crappy and the games are shit"-attitude here, while on GB praising the shit out of the same games.
Again, I did not vote nor was I involved in these GotY awards. No idea why you're pinging me or calling me a hypocrite, but the sentiment is warmly received and appreciated.

To us, you are GameBanshee. :smug:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

The blame's on me, I thought you were involved since Infinitron framed it so. Regardless, your defence begs the same questions.

Untermensch

Augur
:lol: Don't worry Gamebanshee.

Atleast you can say to yourselves: "It's okay...... atleast we haven't fallen as low as RPGWatch"

Actually, Gamebanshee deserves a "RPG website of the year" award for not being as shit as RPGWatch.

Dorateen

Arcane
The entire 2003-2008 period was pretty horrible. 2008 had the sort-of-RPG King's Bounty, which I think was pretty nice. On the other hand, I can't remember a single good game from 2005 or 2006.

To be fair, there were at least 1 or 2 great games from each year of that period:

2003: Escape Velocity Nova, Geneforge 2
2004: Vampire: The Masquerade-Bloodlines, KotOR 2
2005: Hammer & Sickle, Gothic II & NotR, Space Rangers 2
2006: Gothic 3 (arguably), Ultima 5 Lazarus
2007: Depths of Peril, NWN: Mask of the Betrayer, Witcher (arguably)

It was still a very bad season for RPGs though. You're right about that.

2003: Temple of Elemental Evil
2008: If you are including NWN2 expansions, then Storm of Zehir

Untermensch

Augur
Let's maintain a good neighbour policy with the Watch. You never know when we might need to crash on their sofa.

I have nothing against the Watch, but Mass Effect 3 goty?

I don't think the Watch will mind if I use them in a harmless cheap shot against Gamebanshee

Cassidy

Arcane
2003-2008 were much better years than now, for at least there were still some decent CRPGs released during that time beyond purely indie productions. Until the results of the Kickstarters can be finally judged, they will remain so.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
2003-2008 were much better years than now, for at least there were still some decent CRPGs released during that time beyond purely indie productions. Until the results of the Kickstarters can be finally judged, they will remain so.

That I don't disagree with. I had some hope for an incline around 2009-10, but it turned out to be mostly false. The indie devs are doing a pretty good job, though.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
The blame's on me, I thought you were involved since Infinitron framed it so.

He was involved in asking me to post about it. :M
I really enjoy these threads. This thread doesn't nearly match the 2008 one when we gave Fallout 3 RPGotY tho'.

Also Hobo Elf, we've always had a hybrid RPG category.

Grunker There's always a lot to debate, and I do have my thoughts on it. But I'm not comfortable speaking for other people in this thread, since I wasn't involved and because it's somewhat likely my involvement with GameBanshee is only going to decrease in the coming time. Sorry.

eklektyk

Erudite
nah ...they need to make budget cuts coz part of dorito purhase needs to be paid by them this year ... economy crisis and what not...

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
After meticulously studying the suckage of the GB list and the consequent justification for the choices, I can say that the problem lies with GB not playing the good games/ enough, and afterwards saying hey we didn't include them because well we didn't complete them seven times. Game of Thrones and Dark Souls deserved more playtime, especially for a (formerly?) good (for what it is) website.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Darksiders II is the only 2012 game I have played. And it wasn't because I felt like playing an RPG. I was actually disappointed by reduction of the zelda-like stuff that appealed to me in the first game in favour of shit fights to show off your equipment power. All those waves of samey enemies which I could smash my MASSIVE NUMBERS against by were hardly entertaining. Especially when some bosses were just bigger versions (including the fucking last one). A shitty gaming year for me, though I do intend to play grimrock and FTL at some point.

SearchEngine

Learned
BTW, the irony between the Codex getting on GameBanshee for its decline while one of the advertisements for the Codex is for a Call of Duty commercial.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Yeah and we all know how people around here like to suck on that CoD cock.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom