Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

George Ziets opening a new RPG studio - Digimancy Entertainment

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
George Ziets is not afraid to use his Codex account, that alone gives reason for hope in his future game

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Yes, but George's beatific character means that his elan vital has not been squandered. By all measurable means save wisdom, he's like 26.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
You guys love blowing each other's trumpet to the point where it's just 100% unreliable information.

- "Oh Colin is soo good"
- "No stop it, YOU're so good!"

And then Nu Torment comes out and it's a complete trash.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In other words, system bloat

It's very possible, and to be honest, that was one of my first thoughts (after the initial excitement over the possibilities...). I'm interested to see what Digimancy come up with, and how it turns out. Edit: Especially since George is fully aware of what system/feature bloat will do to a game.

Last edited:
My comment was tongue-in-cheek, but while the games are different, they're still both about managing a community and facing challenges and events as they happen, with some input from members of that community. Sure, KoDP has no TB combat gameplay, but if it's hybridized with FO, what do you think would happen?
Uh... what? That's literally not what anyone is talking about. George pretty explicitly said he wanted to make a KoDP clone set in the Fallout universe, not a hybrid of the two. I don't even know where you pulled TB combat from. The only mention he made of combat was "raiding other tribes" which... is exactly how combat works in KoDP. Also, it's been a while since I played it, but my memory of Dead State is that its base management/crises systems were the best part of the game (even with the multitude of characters with the personality of a wooden plank), so if we're arbitrarily throwing Dead State into the mix, yes, it's best features were functionally present in KoDP.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
I wonder if Digimancy's remote model was an aid to him getting the contract. Lots of tech products have suffered massive delays thanks to the shut downs. I figure there has to be executives that see a studio already setup for remote work and led by real talent and want to a: See if this is actually a viable studio type (Several buisness people have already commented the Wuhan Flu may lead to tech companies going to remote working) b: Avoid a product drought (very hard to start any projects during this crap, and not starting new products will result in bad things down the road).

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
You guys love blowing each other's trumpet to the point where it's just 100% unreliable information.
"In hopes of an objective assessment of MRY's colleagues' talents, I placed great stock in his posts praising them in vague, grandiose terms."

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yes, but George's beatific character means that his elan vital has not been squandered. By all measurable means save wisdom, he's like 26.
To be honest i don't see MCA or Sawyer as spend really. Both of them still have some milk in them. Sure Sawyer is shit at coming up with fantasy settings and world building,but give the game a project that he likes like Darklands,and he will deliver good game.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
To be honest i don't see MCA or Sawyer as spend really. Both of them still have some milk in them. Sure Sawyer is shit at coming up with fantasy settings and world building,but give the game a project that he likes like Darklands,and he will deliver good game.
What's Sawyer supposed to be good at, in your opinion?

He can't make systems, which he has proven with poes 1 and 2.
He can't write, which he never even claimed he could.

It is gone... a hollow, dead thing.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
sawyer is a good project manager
Delivering irrelevant boring shit on time is only one of the responsibilities of a manager. Finding/assigning right people for the jobs is another, which he absolutely sucks at. Which is why his games are bad.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
He saved nwn2 and new vegas
Saved from what? They're shit.

less buggy
Whatever. People who complain about bugs is like complaining about typos in a book. I'll still enjoy a good book even with typos, and a bad one with flawless orthography will still be bad. A monkey can fix typos and bugs given some time and resources. This is like cleaning the toiler after Kojima went number two there. It's an "important" job, sure, but whatever.

Delterius

Arcane
Saved from what? They're shit.
not being made and not leading to mask of the betrayer
Whatever.
you can't enjoy a book that never survived to be on print, hence the need for project managers that don't suck

On a technical note, it is consensus that both PoEs were successful. They work, they don't particularly suffer from cut content and they are quite good looking. These aren't things that Obsidian regularly achieves. Everything that was on the drawing board was well implemented. The problem is what was drawn up in the first place. Obsidian was never a Rockstar tier studio and what 'talent' they had either lost its edge (tbh MCA isn't who he used to be) or got de-ownered to death.

Sawyer works as the team autist not the ideas guy. He's getting old enough that he sees something like MoTB as too experimental and risky and his own weird ass tastes as too niche to be popular among... normal people.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
since I enjoyed both Pillars of Eternity

not really we have some of those
Torment: Tides of Numenera
now that is a surprise since no one else did, especially not its creators

What do you mean by "especially not its creators"? Do you have a source, since this sounds rather interesting.
I don't but I distinctly remember Brian Fargo saying 'yes I did in fact funnel all my funds to wasteland, especially those of the numenera kickstarter' to himself at a cocktail party.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
since I enjoyed both Pillars of Eternity

not really we have some of those
Torment: Tides of Numenera
now that is a surprise since no one else did, especially not its creators

What do you mean by "especially not its creators"? Do you have a source, since this sounds rather interesting.
I don't but I distinctly remember Brian Fargo saying 'yes I did in fact funnel all my funds to wasteland, especially those of the numenera kickstarter' to himself at a cocktail party.

You're mistaking that for Obsidian and their budget for Tyranny.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom