Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Unwanted

†††

Patron
Revision had years worth of hype, and had a deal with Square-Enix before releasing the mod (info they hid carefully until the end). That explains why one is more mainstream than the other.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Revision is prime example of modding - so much work, so much changes, all shit.
Changed in level debatable and not in a good way.
Music is heavily watered down.
I'm no stranger to remixes, but those in Revision give me nothing.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
By the way, is there any chance this mod will come to Steam/GOG eventually?

No.

I've been listening to the Conspiravision remix, you should contact Alexander Brandon and integrate the new OST with GMDX as an option

So I'm stuck in a financial standstill. By law I am not allowed to work for quite some time (I moved to another country, the immigration laws are strict). On the plus side I have a lot of free time. If I were to open a patreon and pushed out more GMDX (or something else free and inclined), would codex bite?
I have been conceptualizing some new stuff. Believe me I've not lost my talent for good game design.

raz3r

Novice
Revision had years worth of hype, and had a deal with Square-Enix before releasing the mod (info they hid carefully until the end). That explains why one is more mainstream than the other.
That is true, I remember myself following the development religiously, in the end I was quite disappointed, I mean it's not like I wouldn't recommend it at all, any new reason to play Deus Ex is always welcome, the thing is... It ain't Deus Ex anymore.

Ash

Arcane
What are you thinking on specifically?

More of the same: stone cold incline refinements. The next version of the mod.
For some idea, I'll post just a few improvements I had in mind:

-Yet more AI improvements such as enemy NPCs are no longer give the impression that they're "psychic". Overhauled detection and tracking behavior.
-Take what I learned from doing Unreal Evolution's weapon design and apply it to DX (more polished weaponry).
-Hardcore+ is now a proper feature/mode, not just a minor add-on for hardcore mode.
-Option for alternate patrol routes (hand-designed alternate patrol routes picked at random so every playthrough is different).
-Improved enemy death animations.
-Improved performance.
-More QoL features
-more consequences for alarm panels being triggered.
-Then hundreds of the little details that all add up, as usual. Two examples would be destroying cameras results in elaborate effects rather than just shattering, and putting down dogs that are charging at you results in them sliding to a stop rather than immediately losing all velocity.

I have many more like this and more will come to me as I go, same iterative process as before.

Or the alternative, something else for some other game. But then you can't please everyone in that case as some people may not like that game. Everyone here clearly loves DX and this mod.

RobotSquirrel

Arcane
Developer
I've been listening to the Conspiravision remix, you should contact Alexander Brandon and integrate the new OST with GMDX as an option. By the way, is there any chance this mod will come to Steam/GOG eventually? I mean Revision is there and this is not, it's such a shame...

I already looked into converting it. It's pretty easy to do because you just re-encode the MP3/Wavs to the modtracker format then convert it inside of Unreal Ed.
I did this once with the PS2 intro music so I know its easy to do. Packaging it to a .u might be tricky though. The permission part is where it gets sketchy. But yeah when I heard about the new remixes I immediately jumped to your same conclusion as well.

Its not that the new remixes are better than the original. Tbh I don't think they are. But I thought having the option might be nice for changing up playthroughs if I run the game too many times over the span of a month.

raz3r

Novice
By the way I just got to Paris, I took up the map in the booth near the road block but the image doesn't appear, it happened with other images in Hong Kong as well I am quite sure, not a big deal but I thought it'd be good to let you guys know. Pretty sure this happened with version 8 as well.

Slaver1

Savant
I love this mod.
Yep. Thoroughly enjoying my playthrough as well with New Vision, HDTP & Helios Texture overhaul & DX11 wrapper and ReShade touching up the graphics.. About to go to Paris.

I didn't kill a single NSF member in my playthrough and I've been absolutely massacring Unatco and MJ12

CHEMS

Scholar
RSD version

Fucking great. I always liked this version because you could one shot someone in the back of the head with the tranq dart. Made sneaking around so much fun.
That's in prior versions of GMDX, I didn't change it. Anything else you liked (or disliked)? :P

Well... in the latest ones i couldn't do that even though i invested in the pistol skills. One thing i always felt wrong in Deus Ex was that using tranquilizing darts has that "delay" with enemies end up ruining your cover. I felt like i could do it in RSD but not in other versions. Other than that, you made a suberb work in the mod, man, keep that up. But yeah, one shotting baddies with the tranq dart in the back of the head was a huge thing.

Ash

Arcane
What "other versions"? OHKO tranq headshots was a very, very early feature of gmdx.

Divinity: Original Sin
Well, I decided to install Deus Ex again, and last time I played it was before the release of GMDX. Since then, I wanted to try it, but I awaited the full development of the mod.

Now I want to see how that helios texture overhaul will look on my end.

I've just checked, there's GMDX 9.03, the RSD 2.1, and an community version called GMDX 10.

I guess 10 is not endorsed at all, so I should stick with 9.03 or RSD 2.1?

I'm inclined to go with RSD 2.1 version, but two things elude me: The helios texture overhaul is compatible with RSD? And do I have to download 9.03 and apply RSD over it?

And this community GMDX 10... is it worth?

RoSoDude

Arcane
Well, I decided to install Deus Ex again, and last time I played it was before the release of GMDX. Since then, I wanted to try it, but I awaited the full development of the mod.

Now I want to see how that helios texture overhaul will look on my end.

I've just checked, there's GMDX 9.03, the RSD 2.1, and an community version called GMDX 10.

I guess 10 is not endorsed at all, so I should stick with 9.03 or RSD 2.1?

I'm inclined to go with RSD 2.1 version, but two things elude me: The helios texture overhaul is compatible with RSD? And do I have to download 9.03 and apply RSD over it?

And this community GMDX 10... is it worth?

GMDX vRSD Beta 2.0 has an independent installer, after which you can hotfix to Beta 2.1 (forgot to update the version number in the main menu of 2.1 though, of course). You can install the Helios Texture Overhaul if you want on top, following pretty much the exact same steps as with v9.0.3.

The """"Community Update""" is a big practical joke attached to some decent bugfixes. Many of their ideas are just removing GMDX features for supposed lore inconsistencies (lol), and the funniest part is that they've been pushed to walk back some of their reversions due to player complaints. Quite the cohesive design vision there, eh. Obviously I'm biased towards my own work and due to the bad blood that existed since the start, but I am pretty confident in saying that I've expanded upon what people like about GMDX rather than contracting its scope. After all, you can't go wrong with inventory rotation :)

Oh, just to answer the inevitable "when vRSD beta over" question: idk, been busy with other stuff and motivation to do map cleanup in UnrealEd is low. It's mostly feature complete, just needs that final bugfix pass. Appreciate the interest.

Ash

Arcane
Since everyone here seems to be going vRSD these days: I am at ~93% approval of it (which is really high) yet for me to recommend it over my work I would have to insist on some minor changes.
RoSoDude here has done a lot of great work with his fork. Here's the changelog for reference. Mostly all agreeable:

======================================== CHANGELIST ========================================
#### SKILLS/PERKS ####
-17 new and reworked perks to further differentiate skills, flesh out playstyles, and balance character builds. Examples:
-CONTROLLED BURN (Trained Heavy perk): An agent is trained with the use of the flamethrower, ensuring that the igniting fuel is not blocked by targets.
-SIDEARM (Trained Pistols perk): An agent's aim stability is not reset when swapping to a pistol.
-STOPPING POWER (Advanced Rifles perk): An agent can stop an enemy in their tracks with a shotgun blast, gaining bonus damage (+25%) when every pellet hits a single target.
-FIELD REPAIR (Trained Environmental Training perk): An agent can perform more effective equipment repairs with biocells (1.5x).
-SLEIGHT OF HAND (Trained Lockpicking perk): An agent is able to pick locks and perform acts of theft without arousing suspicion from onlookers.
-TURRET DOMINATION (Master Hacking perk): An agent can alter the IFF routines of gun turrets to make them target enemies or everything in sight.
-SECURITY LOOPHOLE (Advanced Stealth perk): An agent easily identifies the blindspots of modern security systems, evading camera detection for a longer period of time (+50%) and tucking the legs away from laser tripwires.
-Athletics skill now influences mantling reach in addition to swimming speed and stamina/breath
-Stealth skill now improves the player's ability to hide in darkness, with other benefits moved to perks
-Weapon skills now increase the player's maximum ammo capacity
-Minor balance adjustments to skill costs and effectiveness

#### AUGMENTATIONS ####
-Ammo Capacity augmentation replaces Energy Transference, passively increases all ammo capacities
-Run Silent now features half of Speed Enhancement's movement speed bonus while on the ground
-Ballistic Protection (Passive) no longer drains any energy, now provides up to 35% protection proportional to the bottom 100/80/60/40% of the player's energy bar
-Spy Drone can now be set in standby mode with no energy drain for long-term surveillance
-Power Recirculator and Synthetic Heart are now fully passive
-Minor balance adjustments to energy cost and effectiveness

#### WEAPONS #####
-Full overhaul of hitscan range mechanics to unify weapon accuracy stats and make range modification more valuable
-Full overhaul of projectile gravity mechanics for consistency and balance
-New laser mod behavior with simulated aim waver and recoil to make continued skill/mod investment worthwhile while still offering a clear and logical benefit to its use
-Added 0-1 points of damage variation so decimal increases in damage are not rounded down to nothing
-Assault Gun now fires in 3-round bursts rather than 5-round bursts
-Increased Sniper Rifle inventory size from 3x1 to 4x1 (vanilla) to reflect its potency and enforce more stringent equipment choices
-Mini-crossbow and GEP gun load one round at a time (like shotguns) to simulate an internal magazine
-Stun duration on riot prod/taser darts scales with half of weapon damage
-Sabot shells are now truly slug rounds and they, along with 10mm AP rounds, are more effective on a variety of armored targets and weaker against soft targets
-Rubber bullets deal more damage and receive proper bonuses from skills/augs/mods. The Sawed-Off Shotgun deals an extra 30% damage with rubber bullets
-Throwing Knives retooled as precision weapons with lower base damage but improved headshot damage, and a maximum of one knife can always be retrieved from any enemy hit
-Melee attack speed is halved when out of stamina
-Increased pickup counts for specialized ammo types (10mm AP, taser darts, rubber bullets)
-Reduced base max ammo capacities across the board, can be increased through weapon skills and the new Ammo Capacity aug
-Dragon's Tooth Sword now accepts damage mods, base damage reduced from 26 to 22
-Holding the fire button now causes melee weapons to attack continuously
-Numerous minor tweaks to weapon stats (accuracy/range/ROF/recoil)
-Bullets now penetrate breakable glass

#### EQUIPMENT ####
-Items can now be rotated in the inventory by pressing the Spacebar
-Removed all restrictions to swapping and dropping wearable items on the fly. Stacking behavior is now seamless and straightforward, and the last copy remains in the inventory when fully drained (disabled in Hardcore mode)
-Can now repair/recharge wearable equipment with the repairbot. Worth 3 biocells of charge
-Binoculars now come equipped with a rangefinder
-Secondary items expanded to include flares, binoculars, tech goggles, and medkits/biocells (with the Combat Medic Bag's perk), now always quickdraw

#### MECHANICS/SYSTEMS ####
-All new playthrough modifiers (crate/weapon mod/aug canister randomization, addiction system)
-All new opt-in addiction system for cigarettes, alcohol, and zyme:
-Use of each substance applies a temporary buff, but also makes the player prone withdrawal effects if they become addicted, temporarily curable by consuming more of the substance
-Using a substance adds to an addiction meter, and passing a threshold (50%) makes the player addicted to that substance
-The addiction meter goes down gradually as the player progress through the game but NOT with time
-Cigarettes temporarily improve aim stability, but hurt stamina in withdrawal. Moderately addictive.
-Alcohol increases torso max health, but reduces base accuracy in withdrawal. Slightly addictive.
-Zyme increases combat speed/strength and stamina regen, but reduces torso max health in withdrawal. Extremely addictive.
-Modified Hardcore hunger meter to decay more gradually as the player progresses through the game
-Stamina no longer regenerates while crouched and standing still to make stamina management matter to stealth players
-Mantling now requires stamina
-Refined the Heavy weapon movement speed penalty, with granular improvements from the Heavy weapons skill and Microfibral Muscle
-Auto turrets can now run out of ammo, firing routines refined
-Scrambler grenades now deactivate the player's augmentation system for a number of seconds equal to scrambler damage taken
-Maximum burn time with the flamethrower reduced from 40s -> 10s so it's at all relevant to gameplay
-Security cameras no longer react to unconscious bodies on Hardcore to uniquely punish dominant lethal stealth tactics
-Hacking alarm panels now allows the player to disable any active alarms in the area

#### DIFFICULTY ####
-Medbots/Repairbots now offer Inf/3/3/2/2 charges on Easy/Medium/Hard/Realistic/Hardcore (previously Inf/Inf/Inf/2/2)
-Revised lockpick/multitool effectiveness:
-10/25/40/75% on Easy (vanilla values)
-10/15/25/50% on Medium/Hard/Realistic (GMDX values)
-5/10/20/50% on Hardcore (previously 5/10/20/45%)
-Security cameras now have 10/15/20% hack strength and turrets now have 25/50/50% hack strength on <=Hard/Realistic/Hardcore
-Tranquilizer darts break when they hit the ground on Hardcore mode to disable dart farming
-Reloading resets the player's aim stability on Hardcore mode
-The player's ammo is now taken away at the start of the MJ12 prison escape and placed in the armory on Hardcore mode
-Some extra challenges and obstacles added to GMDX are now Hardcore exclusive

#### USER EXPERIENCE/OPTIONS ####
-Added a Weapon Model Selection menu for toggling weapon model replacements (vanilla/HDTP/FOMOD beta where available)
-Ported and polished lrosenth's Radial Augmentation Menu addon, which allows the player to quickly toggle augmentations on and off in real time with a slick radial menu (now supporting toggle and hold binds)
-Added a new menu option for Restricted Metabolism: The player can only eat/drink so much before getting full, and withdrawal symptoms occur twice as quickly (forced on in Hardcore)
-The "Perks" button on the Skills/Perks screen now dynamically toggles between "Perks" and "Info"
-Targeting reticles are now precisely sized to weapon accuracy for all resolutions/UI scalings
-Left click interact now equips weapons from in the world as it did in previous versions of GMDX
-Streamlined ammo cycling behavior (previously led to bad swaps and displayed bogus messages to the log) and added true real-time ammo loading from the inventory if the player has Real-Time UI enabled
-Spillover ammo remains in the world when the player reaches ammo capacity
-Ammo pickup counts and wearable charges are now displayed in the HUD, and pickup messages are refined for clarity and consistency
-Added number of uses remaining on repair bot and medical bot user interface on Medium difficulty and above (Inf/3/3/2/2 uses on Easy/Medium/Hard/Realistic/Hardcore)
-The hack timer is no longer set to 0 when exiting a computer terminal, instead retaining its value. Master level was counter-intuitively punished by taking 16x longer to fill up again
-The HUD no longer disappears when taking EMP damage
-Decline Combat Knives option now always deletes combat knives from looted inventories instead of only doing so 85% of the time
-MIB/WIB corpses now explode when killed from unconscious if the Persistent Corpses option is disabled (forced on in Hardcore)
-Added an blue indicator to show where the target item will go when swapping items of equal size

#### ENEMIES ####
-AI have more varied decision-making regarding how much they'll lead projectile shots
-SecurityBot4 (the MJ12 one that cloaks) now rapid-fires plasma bolts instead of bullets and rockets, can no longer strafe on its treads
-AI now fire four times as fast with the stealth pistol
-Death sound radius increased from 14ft to 21ft (was roughly 31ft vanilla) to punish overly dominant lethal stealth tactics. Remember, a nonlethal takedown is always the most silent way to eliminate resistance
-Reduced Military Bot rocket blast radius from 24 -> 15ft and damage from 240 -> 100 (still direct hit instakill with no Energy Shield)
-Changed some MJ12 Elites back to MJ12 Troops from Vandenberg onward (especially snipers and squads with MIBs) to smooth out the difficulty curve and enable more variety in nonlethal tactics
-Super MIB health on Hardcore reduced from 900 -> 850 to avoid cases like two Master-level sniper rifle headshots leaving them at 0.4% health
-Halved flamethrower damage threshold for MIBs to be set on fire
-Headshot capability added to Grays, x2 damage multiplier
-Decreased Gray hitcylinder radius by 30% to better accord with its model
-Decreased Gray health by 20% on all difficulties

#### LEVEL DESIGN ####
-Hardcoded the hacking skill requirements for all computer terminals to tightly control rewards for differential skill investment
-Added hidden goodies to several levels
-Added prod batteries and plasma ammo to lategame areas
-Rearranged augmentation canisters and weapon mods in several locations for improved balance and diversified character builds
-Added some Hardcore save points to levels with overly stringent checkpointing
-Liberty Island laser mod reinstated on Hardcore
-Added an Assault Shotgun to the locked armory in the MJ12 Sewers to allow perceptive players to choose between shotguns earlier (not "wasting" mods on a Sawed-Off by accident)
-Reduced Osgood and Sons' mirror damage threshold from 5 to 3 (to match AR/shotgun damage)
-Fixed some unsightly texture flickering and inconsistencies between geometry and destructible mover on the EMP generator in Osgood's and Sons
-Fixed AI chain reaction leading to Rooks being hostile to the player after killing the zyme dealer
-Moved the datacube with the basement password in the NSF Warehouse "Send the Signal" mission to the locked room
-Scattered additional ammo in the MJ12 Prison Escape to offset the removal of the player's ammo on Hardcore, removed plasma rifle trooper
-Removed illogical event trigger from MJ12 Prison Nanotech Lab alarm to release Greasels from containment (now activate manually with button/computer as vanilla)
-Fixed Flight Control Deck 1 inside door button opening a vent grating in the barracks instead of the adjacent door
-Fixed inconsistent textures between map loads in Hong Kong
-Added more 10mm rounds and buckshot shells to Hong Kong and Paris
-Smuggler's Assault Shotgun for 7500 credits on the 3rd Hell's Kitchen visit now comes with a full-auto mod pre-installed
-Rearranged some objects in the Brooklyn Naval Shipyard map so as to require crate stacking, skill/aug investment, and/or precise platforming for a mantling path over the main gate and side fence
-Added a special option to the security terminal in the Naval Shipyard ventilation area to turn off the fan from inside the facility
-Fixed non-functional shower faucets on the PCRS Wall Cloud upper decks and fixed their alignment
-Made the bouncers in the Club de la Porte de L'Enfer hostile if the player brandishes weapons like they warn
-Moved the Haz Lab storage key in Vandenberg to where it was in the pre-GOTY release version
-Added working fan speed control to the new Area 51 ventilation room, including reduced gravity
-Removed the forcefield generators in Area 51 Sector 4 on non-Hardcore difficulty, as Everett's message about Page's OTHER forcefield may confuse new players
-Fixed some misaligned/missing geometry and textures in Area 51 Sector 4
-Rearranged and replaced some augmentation canisters for better build variety and insurance
-Misc. added and improved doors and buttons to patch softlocks
-Misc. fixes to ATM accounts to equalize credit distributions and correct passwords
-Misc. fixes to PC accounts for consistency
-Misc. fixes to door pivot points

#### GRAPHICS/AUDIO ####
-Added support for individual vanilla/HDTP weapon models as well as the beta Stealth Pistol and Sniper Rifle from FOMOD (see new Weapon Model Selection menu)
-Refactored Cloak/Radar Transparency animated texture routines for efficiency, code clarity, and consistent effect stacking. Radar Transparency is now a solid (animated) texture.
-New sounds thanks to Markie Music (no relation):
-Security Robot 4 miniplasma bolt impact
-Withdrawal onset notice
-New individual dart loading sound for the Mini-crossbow
-New bullet ricochet sounds for hitting helmets with ballistic weaponry
-Tranquilizer darts will no longer play a flesh hit sound when hitting a robot, play a weak deflection sound instead

#### BUGFIXES/PERFORMANCE/MISC ####
-Fixed infinite wearable charge exploit
-Fixed a strong rightward and upward bias to projectile innaccuracy
-Damage done to the four "corner" wedges on the head will no longer count as torso damage for some unfathomable reason (GMDX fixed the multiplier, but still counted as torso damage like vanilla)
-Damage taken by the player now rounds properly, rather than just truncating during conversion to an int
-e.g. 9 damage from an assault rifle would always round down to 6/4/4/3 with active Ballistic Protection, but now rounds properly to 6/5/4/3
-Box of WP rockets in Sam Carter's cabinet in the second UNATCO visit moved back so the cabinet can be opened
-Fixed a bug where laser dots would remain on map transition
-Inventory overlap exploit fixed
-Removed a dirty dirty GMDX hack that associated a 3/10 chance to 15% complexity locks becoming 20% complexity locks, meaning that you could get two cabinet doors with different strengths where unlocking one would also unlock the other.
-Fire extinguishers now have a damage threshold of 3, so limply thrown pistols/combat knives etc. won't cause them to explode without the muscle augmentation (heavier thrown items will still work)
-Reduced two sources of randomization (position + velocity) from crate item spawning to hopefully cut down on the issue of items spawning outside of walls?
-Fixed the reload time on the minicrossbow doubling if you switched ammo types
-Moved headshot extraMult application outside of TakeDamageBase() in ScriptedPawn.uc to make behavior more robust and also ensure that headshot modifiers are reset when changing to a non-altered weapon
-Turrets will not fire if the player is beyond their maximum rotation (since they are now limited to 100 rounds each)
-Debug messages are no longer broadcasted to the player when installing the Combat Strength, Spy Drone, or Aggressive Defense System augs
-Random ammo pickup counts on pawns and corpses initialized on first map load, rather than on loot so as to not encourage savescumming
-Count transfers from pawn -> corpse as well as pawn -> weapon or corpse -> weapon for exploded pawns/corpses respectively; corpse -> weapon would previously result in 0 ammo due to a bug
-Most weapons drop 1-4 as before, Assault Guns drop 2-5 (was 1-5), hardcoded counts remain hardcoded
-Will not take effect if the player uses cheat commands to enter a map. Entering any area normally will rectify this.
-The homeless people by the burning barrel in the second Hell's Kitchen visit (relocated there by GMDX) now walk back to the barrel after fleeing in fear
-Binocular zoom is no longer reset when jumping, and hopefully zoom is also properly reset when using the GEP's fly-by-wire scope feature
-Reduced the delay before autosaving by 0.1s (smallest possible)
-Attempted a fix for the GEP Gun not making the inventory transfer in the MJ12 Prison level
-Made Hardcore save points unaffected by lighting so they can actually be seen with HDR lighting enabled (ClassicLighting=false in the D3D10 renderer)
-Reverted the pistol UI icons to their vanilla counterparts because they display better against dark colors
-Fixed the Radar Transparency visual effects using wrong or inappropriate textures on the stealth pistol, sniper rifle, and flamethrower
-Fixed Cloak and Radar Transparency effects not animating on the vanilla riot prod for some unfathomable reason
-Changed the behavior of bullet tracers so you still see e.g. water splashes when tracers are not visible
-Fixed the player view staying zoomed in if the player was using the GEP fly-by-wire feature and didn't deactivate the zoom before the rocket exploded
-Fixed the laser mod position not visually updating while using the GEP laser-guiding feature (intend to totally rework this, maybe in a later update)
-Fixed the robot alliance settings on the security computers in the Naval Shipyard only working one time each
-Added some seemingly missing code for related to new GMDX HUD features which should maybe cut down on crashes during game loads?
-Fixed not being able to pick up wearables from carcasses when at max copies but below max charge (now charges them to full, as with picking up from the world)
-Drastically reduced the degree to which items (weapons, pickups, and ammo) are knocked around by explosive damage so you have a chance of finding scattered loot
-Fixed triggers in the Paris Chateau map so you still get goal completed/Everett's datalink message/Nicolette staying behind if you hop over the maze wall instead of taking the entrance
-Fixed per-round loading weapons (Sawed-Off/Mini-Crossbow/GEP Gun) loading near-instantly if using the ammo icon in the inventory
-Cleaned up errors with minor game-crashing potential related to the following code:
-Turning off laser sight when reloading
-Player weapon dropping edge case
-Laser emitter turning off
-GEP Gun targeting
-Fixed inventory overlap exploit with weapon mods -- now they return to their original inventory position after application rather than to the nearest space
-Decoupled weapon range stats for NPCs and the player. Now weapon range can be altered indepenently without having to hack AI engagement distance or accuracy (this was some of my earliest code)
-Fixed an exploit on Hardcore mode where you could clip against an object while attempting to dolphin jump out of water to get limitless stamina for swimming
-Fixed a transparent square texture appearing when activating the laser mod on the pistol and then turning on cloak or radar transparency
-Weapon tooltip fixes:
-Renamed "Acc. Range" in weapon tooltips to "Eff. Range"
-Corrected rubber bullet damage stats
-Corrected rubber bullet and throwing knife headshot multipliers
-Fixed percentage displays rounding down 1% from actual values
-Added proper rounding for all decimal values
-Fixed the tenths place disappearing for numbers with two decimal places of precision when the tenths place was 0, e.g. 1.05 displaying as 1.5
-Fixed nominally incorrect accuracy formula in targeting augmentation display (overstating inaccuracy by 2x)
-Fixed the Rooks being overprotective of junkies/hookers in the Brooklyn Bridge map (would become hostile to player if they observed fleeing junkies/hookers)
-Fixed reworked +30% damage bonus for rubber bullets on the Sawed-Off Shotgun not actually going into effect
-Partially fixed an exploit that allowed the player to double activate Smuggler's laser trap, causing the robot door to close
-Restored autosaving in the Paris Cathedral map
-Added missing "some" to pickup messages for ammo types added in GMDX (e.g. You found some Taser Darts)
-Fixed some hazards in the EUAS threat detector being named "Flamed" instead of "Fire"
-Fixed Targeting aug displaying the weapon class name in code instead of the localized display name
-Addressed a potential oversight with mantling when changing keybinds
-Fixed stealth pistol full-auto jank (delayed second shot, clipped final shot animation). Now fires smoothly with a consistent ROF in full-auto
-Fixed duplicate config variables in GMDXUser.ini file ([DeusEx.DeusExPlayer] and [DeusEx.Human] vars were redundant with [DeusEx.JCDentonMale], now all vars only in [DeusEx.DeusExPlayer])
-Fixed pitch-dependent viewmodel rotation on some HDTP weapons
-Updated text descriptions:
-Added numerical detail to drug descriptions for the new addiction system, fleshed out by new UNATCO OPS file descriptions
-Added numerical detail to food descriptions (e.g. Heals 2 points)
-Restored Pistol, Combat Knife, Sword, Crowbar, Baton, Liquor, Wine, and Soda descriptions to vanilla
-Restored weapon mod drag message to vanilla
-Restored Datacube "It is blank" to vanilla "There's nothing interesting to read"
-Restored Water fountain "Your drinking limit has been exceeded, please come back tomorrow" to vanilla "It's out of water"
-Reworked Flare description to vanilla + new UNATCO OPS file
-Reworked Fire Extinguisher description to vanilla + new UNATCO OPS file
-Reworked Binoculars description to vanilla + additional note about rangefinder functionality.
-Reworked weapon range mod description to more clearly cover all projectile weaponry
-Reworked ballistic armor description to more clearly indicate draining with use and recharging
-Reworked Spy Drone description to remove noisemaker functionality and indicate the new standby mode as well as clarify the detonation energy cost
-Reworked Stealth Pistol description to vanilla + additional notes about its unique benefits
-Reworked Ballistic Protection, Vision Enhancement, Dragon's Tooth Sword description for clarity
-Reworked Mini-Crossbow description to indicate its new internal magazine
-Refined skill descriptions to account for new changes and improve clarity
-Capitalized "Low-Tech" and "Demolitions" in the Combat Speed description
-Uncapitalized "Bioelectric Energy Units" in item descriptions and log messages
-Renamed ONE-HANDED perk to AMBIDEXTROUS, simplified description
-Changed Athletics/Aqualung descriptions to reflect changes, corrected "imbedded" typo in Aqualung description
-Changed all mentions of "secondary weapon" to "secondary item"
-Added "40%" to the Speed Enhancement Tech Four description to specify the exact speed bonus
-Added exact bonuses to the Medicine skill description
-Added medkit healing amount to description
-Fixed biocell restoration amount with Biogenic perk in description
-Rewrote Hacking skill, Microfibral Muscle aug, and SONIC-TRANSDUCER SENSOR and SHORT FUSE perk descriptions for improved clarity and consistency
-Added exact ranges to Aggressive Defense System description
-Added exact damage bonuses to Combat Strength description
-Swapped the Combat Strength/Combat Speed aug icons so Combat Strength has its vanilla fist icon, while Combat Speed gets the new icon depicting the whole body (since it affects more than just melee speed)
-Fixed peculiar behavior with drug timers resetting during map transition
-Fixed exploit where players with Microfibral Muscle could cancel footstep sounds by attempting to power throw with nothing in hand
-Removed test code for NPC grenade throws that could spawn fire extinguishers
-Added protections to ensure alarm units and Area 51 cameras did not "heal" back hacking strength on map load
-Reworked difficulty modulation code for NPC stats to optimize performance and remove all edge cases with enemies healing on map load
-Unified mantling code across states, can grab slightly shallower ledges while jumping
-Explosions respect level geometry to a greater degree
-Fixed (loud!) stacking menu sounds when using ammo load buttons, and sounds no longer play when highlighting weapons with ammo (but not other items)
-Fixed Rebreather incrementing stamina/breath above 100%, allowing the player to store additional stamina
-Rebuilt Area 51 Sector 4 map to fix the death zone near the test tube where Page blows up the hallway (15_Area51_Page)
-Fixed crosshair user toggle being reset by hitmarkers, the new radial aug menu, and map loads
-Fixed the Security Bot following the player into the armory and causing crashing in the MJ12 Prison map (05_NYC_UNATCOMJ12Lab)
-Weapon tooltips now indicate the shot multiplier for multi-pellet weapons (x8 for buckshot and x3 for plasma)
-Corpses no longer spawn flies in sterile environments and underground bunkers
-Maps: UNATCO, MJ12 labs, 747, Versalife, Canal Road, Shipyard interior, Catacombs, Everett's, Vandenberg tunnels/comms, Ocean Lab, Area 51
-Fixed the UNATCO security bot on the Liberty Island dock turning against you if it sees the NSF security bot attacking you (the two now fight)
-The PS20 is no longer listed as variably lethal in the weapon tooltip
-Fixed Assault Shotgun double-firing with maxed ROF on full-auto after switching ammo types
-Fixed incorrect cloak/radar textures on the lockpick and nanokeyring viewmodel
-Fixed skin colors not updating on all vanilla weapon models and the multitool
-Fixed biocell recharge amount displayed in the log rounding down by one point
-Fixed "(NPC name)" missing from the frob display window when killing unconscious NPCs, e.g. "Unconscious (UNATCO troop)" -> "Dead Body"
-Fixed animal carcasses getting mislabled as "Dead Body" instead of "Animal Carcass" when kiling from unconscious
-Fixed log window appearing behind inventory windows due to new or delayed log messages with Real-Time UI enabled, now waits for inventory window close
-Fixed crosshair flickering on after hitmarkers when disabled by laser sight or user option, also an edge case changing the user option
-Hitmarker color is now always white when using laser sights, since IFF is otherwise disabled (also helps with seeing red laser dot)
-Fixed conversation bug allowing players to repeatedly increase their augmentation upgrade canister count even with a full inventory
-Fixed GEP fly-by-wire control not matching the player's Invert Y-axis setting
-Fixed loot window displaying the wrong amount of ammo picked up from bodies when the user is near full
-Fixed close-range tracers so zoomed weapons still consistently produce water splashing
-Fixed weapon tooltip implying ROF mods decreased weapon ROF
-Fixed weapon tooltips truncating base value in decimal rounding (e.g. 0.99 rounded to 1.0 displaying as 0.0)
-Fixed script log errors and logspam:
-Carts pushed by damage
-Reworked Synthetic Heart
-On hit blood spawning
-Piercing perk melee damage bonus to robots
-GMDX melee swipe
-Bullet decals from autoturrets
-Decline Combat Knives option for corpse looting
-Corpse looting
-GEP gun scope toggle
-Augmentation menu displaying added GMDX v9 aug slot
-HDTP weapon rotation fix
-HDTP NPC flamethrower fire offset fix
-Melee attack speed tooltip with Combat Speed
-Aug Canister Scramble debug logspam
-Difficulty modifier logspam
-GMDX fixes and balance changes for items transferred in conversation
-Secondary item quickdraw finish when out of ammo
-Secondary item equip tooltip
-Belt HUD ammo text for grenades

Some things I don't agree with per-se: for example ammo capacity aug is unexciting but gameplay-wise it makes perfect sense and that's all I could really ask for, yet these trigger me:

-Make new repairbot GUI an expandable window via button press, or dynamically expand/render based on what you have in your inventory. You said UI coding has unironically become a pleasure of yours so no big deal right :smug:
-Restore shell-by-shell loading of assault shotgun.
-Lock randomizers behind game completion.
-Lock weapon model toggles behind game completion.

There's also the problem that vRSD doesn't support all the languages GMDX did but it is what it is.

The rest is mostly golden and a few features even legitimately surprised me. "Why didn't I think of that?". I am slightly triggered by the removal of some MJ12 Elites, hardcore cameras don't spot unconscious corpses (just tranq 'em if there's a camera around, though I get what you were going for), and some other select pickings I've probably mentioned before (DTS requiring dam mods, though again I repect your intent), but otherwise it is a worthy successor. Quite proud.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
So have others started fucking with GMDX then?

I'm going to allude to the funny analogies made years back ITT:

Rosodude is like hiring that young well-meaning student babysitter to take care of your spawn. You are cautious, but believe you can trust they'll do the right thing for the most part.
That other fork is like a bunch of mentally impaired masked gunmen-manchildren kidnapped your baby and took it to their deranged rapedungeon located in their mother's basement and had their fucked up way with it. When it was released to the world some years later the trauma and brain damage was immediately apparent. Sadly a lost cause.

Last edited:

RoSoDude

Arcane
Some things I don't agree with per-se: for example ammo capacity aug is unexciting but gameplay-wise it makes perfect sense and that's all I could really ask for, yet these trigger me:
-Make new repairbot GUI an expandable window via button press, or dynamically expand/render based on what you have in your inventory. You said UI coding has unironically become a pleasure of yours so no big deal right :smug:
-Restore shell-by-shell loading of assault shotgun.
-Lock randomizers behind game completion.
-Lock weapon model toggles behind game completion.

-I legitimately think it's best to have it all in one window. No new players have reported confusion with it, particularly since you won't see the slots filled unless you have the items for it. Hiding it risks players never finding this valuable feature. Dynamically expanding is a maybe, I guess.
nXRzY4v.png
-Already reverted to Assault Shotgun per-shell reload prior to Beta 1.0 due to complaints (as much as I disagree)
-Yeah, all playthrough modifiers will be locked behind game completion in the next version, or at least by final release (I wanted to let beta testers have full access to all new features)
-Eh, I think it's okay to let people mess with the options a bit here, since there are legitimate reasons to dislike many of the HDTP models, or disagree with my defaults

As always appreciate the endorsement for the mod, and the help over the years with it. There were bound to be a few things we disagree on (considering that's what prompted me to fork v9 in the first place), but our design goals are at least 93% aligned as you say.

Ash

Arcane
I legitimately think it's best to have it all in one window. No new players have reported confusion with it, particularly since you won't see the slots filled unless you have the items for it. Hiding it risks players never finding this valuable feature. Dynamically expanding is a maybe, I guess..

Every single UI feature I added is subtle/"hidden"/at risk of being overlooked. All of them. Even those that probably shouldn't be such as right click inventory shortcuts and the perk system. With Deus Ex there's a lot to learn and overcome as is, let alone all the stuff GMDX adds, now vRSD too, so much config, and the barrier for new players to get over with the shit graphics, old school mechanics (which are of course great but unforgiving) and the deceiving emptiness of liberty island. so the player installs the game which may or may not have been testing of their patience as-is, goes through all the config, comes across this weapon model toggle window and now they have found themselves fiddling with all the different models (and minor bugs with rendering when toggling in-game, if still present?) on the Liberty Island docks for 20 minutes before they've even started the game. At some point they tell themselves "ok lets actually play the game now, these all look like shit anyway" and they have a weird mish-mash of all the different models, some which visually change based on weapon upgrades, others which do not... Of course this doesn't apply to everyone and some may drool at the thought of having a toggle for every possible feature, but I disagree with highly modular design in most contexts as you know, and I do not think it's something a new player should be concerning themselves with.

This is my thought process behind the three complaints I have (randomisers, toggle, repbot gui): UX design. If they were hidden away they'd be following GMDX design principles. The alternative is a unmistakably mod-like experience when I was striving for a definitive one.
Deus Ex was difficult for many to get into back in the day even with an old school mindset. Alongside making things look and play better, being cautious not to add information overload all at the start was a goal of mine. I've still not managed to encourage a single person I know IRL to play and stick with Deus Ex, though I stopped bothering about a decade ago but making the mod never made anyone reconsider. It's a shame so many still overlook or give up when trying such a wonderful game. Thankfully many wrote to me saying "GMDX got my GF/dad/whatever to finally play DX and for that I am grateful". Makes it sort-of worth it.

If none of this matters to you which it very well may not then that would be understandable.

Also regarding important information possibly being overlooked: right now the repairbot interface is rendered starting with your equipment stuff. At the bottom is bioenergy recharge, which is more important than your new system. The new hierarchy and information dump obscures it I believe.

Edit: stuff and more stuff

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The """"Community Update""" is a big practical joke attached to some decent bugfixes. Many of their ideas are just removing GMDX features for supposed lore inconsistencies (lol), and the funniest part is that they've been pushed to walk back some of their reversions due to player complaints. Quite the cohesive design vision there, eh.
I decided to read the changelog. Gotta love how they list every single change to any map (including liike: moved a light 2cm to the left so it aligns better with the texture) before any gameplay changes.

But the gameplay changes are weird. Some of them I don't even really understand like:
Reverted karkian minimum health from 10 to 50.

But ok. Then there's random stuff like making greasels not jump and not shoot triple shot any more. And things that sound like jokes:
Reverted the death/knock out sounds to original versions as other sounds were bad for gameplay, sounded bad, were stolen, or racist.

I can be something of a lore purist sometimes, so I will admit it bothered me a little in GMDX when the lategame MiBs start using superspeed/cloaking/etc. If MJ12 can mass produce those, why even bother with the Dentons? At the same time, it does make the lategame way more challenging, which is good.

This is still a really weird thing to package all together for a modmod. I guess DX modding isn't that good at being modular, but still. Should at least have the decency to do bugfixes separate from other changes.

Ash

Arcane
The MiBs were my only lore boundary crossed from memory, and even then it's more just a mandatory retcon in my mind. My justification was to be that in response to JC's outsmarting of the mechs and many MJ12 troops and commandos, Page had them augmented even though it will result in death via the body's rejection of the nanites, with or without the MiB's knowledge of this fact, but I do not consider myself qualified to write anything worthy of Pacotti and Co and just didn't bother. Whatever the case ultimately something was needed to be done with late game, gameplay in a video game is way more important than some lore established in one in-game book excerpt, and game designers typically adapt lore to suit gameplay, not the other way around. Nonetheless intending to be an as faithful as possible effort I left all the writing and consistencies alone to the 99.9th percentile. It's not originally my work and it is deserving of respect, so I tried my best to respect it. But as anyone with any sense would see, something had to give. A solution was desperately needed to the late game problem. Did my solution have to raise questions? Possibly not. Has anyone done better? No. And they probably wont, but I invite anyone to try.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
The MiBs were my only lore boundary crossed from memory, and even then it's more just a mandatory retcon in my mind. My justification was to be that in response to JC's outsmarting of the mechs and many MJ12 troops and commandos, Page had them augmented even though it will result in death via the body's rejection of the nanites, with or without the MiB's knowledge of this fact, but I do not consider myself qualified to write anything worthy of Pacotti and Co and just didn't bother. Whatever the case ultimately something was needed to be done with late game, gameplay in a video game is way more important than some lore established in one in-game book excerpt, and game designers typically adapt lore to suit gameplay, not the other way around. Nonetheless intending to be an as faithful as possible effort I left all the writing and consistencies alone to the 99.9th percentile. It's not originally my work and it is deserving of respect, so I tried my best to respect it. But as anyone with any sense would see, something had to give. A solution was desperately needed to the late game problem. Did my solution have to raise questions? Possibly not. Has anyone done better? No. And they probably wont, but I invite anyone to try.
Indeed. And as far as lorebreaks go, it's not that big. Iirc it doesn't really contradict anything in the primary story, just makes some of the instrumental goals of the villains inconsistent. I'd wager that most of the people who played the game won't even notice.

Eidos broke the same part of the lore with their mech augs. I'm not sure whether to see this as condemnation or sanction.

Stuff like MJ12 troops using thermoptic camo was great though. Feels very strange that they didn't in hindsight.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom