Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I think GMDX replaced the sniper with a pistol guy. A fine decision, especially since it didn't make much sense that the only sniper on the map was located on ground level...

Unwanted

†††

Patron
In the first mission, is it normal for GMDX, that the "sniper NSF" soldier in the dark alley, near the statue entrance, doesn't drop the sniper rifle?

I think GMDX replaced the sniper with a pistol guy. A fine decision, especially since it didn't make much sense that the only sniper on the map was located on ground level...

It's mostly a balance thing, since you get offered a sniper by Paul at the beginning. As it was before, the smart thing was going for the GEP gun and then take the sniper from that enemy, having the best of both worlds.

Pretty sure the guy has a sawed-off instead of a pistol, so he is still more dangerous compared to the rest of the goons that side of the map.

Another nice touch is the removal of the freebie crossbow on the unatco corpse by the base and, more importantly, the crossbow you pick from the start comes with a free accuracy? upgrade.

Still the worst of the three picks for most runs, but the choice is no longer laughably slanted. I can see myself going for the crossbow if I was doing a min-maxed pistols only playthrough or something, to save on that mod slot.

RoSoDude

Arcane
I should also (or just otherwise) give it +1 range upgrade or something, seeing as how I've reworked projectile gravity mechanics. Having a range modded crossbow makes a big difference early on for nailing headshots.

JohannDaart

Novice
Thank you guys for info about Sniper Rifle :)

It turns out I mostly forgot the game, which is very nice, because it feels like I'm enjoying it for the first time ;)

Do you guys think it's possible to finish the whole game without using Rifles and Heavy weapons?

I don't feel like blasting my way with explosives, assault rifles, shotguns or rockets... As a Thief player, it turns out my playstyle defaults to Baton + Pistol/Crossbow.
So instead going for Pistol+Rifle skills, I could go all-in into Pistols+Low-Tech.

But I've seen some screenshots with some bad ass enemies (MJ12/MIB) on higher levels - is it possible to deal with them with upgraded Pistols or Low-Tech?

Unwanted

†††

Patron
But I've seen some screenshots with some bad ass enemies (MJ12/MIB) on higher levels - is it possible to deal with them with upgraded Pistols or Low-Tech?

You can, although the robots will be harder and you'll have to either sneak past them or use augs, plan accordingly.

RoSoDude

Arcane
Thank you guys for info about Sniper Rifle :)

It turns out I mostly forgot the game, which is very nice, because it feels like I'm enjoying it for the first time ;)

Do you guys think it's possible to finish the whole game without using Rifles and Heavy weapons?

I don't feel like blasting my way with explosives, assault rifles, shotguns or rockets... As a Thief player, it turns out my playstyle defaults to Baton + Pistol/Crossbow.
So instead going for Pistol+Rifle skills, I could go all-in into Pistols+Low-Tech.

Absolutely viable. Normal pistol now accepts silencer, can become a pocket sniper. AP rounds can help vs robots, cameras, or helmeted enemies. Save some LAMs and EMP grenade for bigger bots. Spy Drone will also be a help.

Really, nearly any build concept (within reason) is viable in GMDX. Though Hardcore rightly requires a bit more metagaming.

JohannDaart

Novice
Thanks guys, I will keep Sniper Rifle in my equipment if it gets too tough, but I will try going through the game with Pistols and Low Tech :)

From previous posts in this topic, it seems that:
  • Normal Pistol is better to be upgraded towards mini-sniper (Silencer, Scope, Laser, Damage, Accuracy, Range mods?)
  • Stealth Pistol is better to be upgraded towards mini-assault rifle (Clip Size, Rate of Fire mods?)
Is there a way to keep Laser sight "always on"?

Thanks guys, I will keep Sniper Rifle in my equipment if it gets too tough, but I will try going through the game with Pistols and Low Tech :)

From previous posts in this topic, it seems that:
  • Normal Pistol is better to be upgraded towards mini-sniper (Silencer, Scope, Laser, Damage, Accuracy, Range mods?)
  • Stealth Pistol is better to be upgraded towards mini-assault rifle (Clip Size, Rate of Fire mods?)
Is there a way to keep Laser sight "always on"?

Glock and SP have the same rate of fire, but the former has better damage, accuracy, and range, while the latter has better mag size, lower recoil, and accepts the full-auto mod (this dynamic based on suggestions from yours truly.) So indeed, that is how I would develop them, except I would prioritize putting the laser sight on the stealth pistol for CQC head popping, and of course the recoil mods which you have omitted. Then when you get the full-auto mod it will basically turn the weapon into an SMG. Or you can go the other way and try to mod the weaknesses of the respective weapon out, but if you are going to be maining pistols, it would be much better to specialize them as you will probably get enough mods to upgrade anything anyway.

Personally I bind the laser sight toggle to a mouse side button so I can flick it on/off on the fly, as the situation demands.

covr

Prophet
Patron
I will play Deus Ex for the first time in my life today. Bought it on GOG for 1 dolla. GMDX is currently installing. I hope it is as good as you guys say.

Ash

Arcane
RoSoDude suggestion for a optional playthrough modfier: random patrol pause times. Iterate through and add a random range of -2.5 to +1.5 seconds to each Patrol Point's wait time (I can't remember the var name), if existing time is >2.5. Will add diversity to stealth playthroughs in particular without much effort on your part, and hopefully won't break anything.

Was one idea I had for a next version (which is unlikely to happen).

Wunderbar

Arcane
covr GMDX adds new features such as vaulting, and slightly alters levels to compensate for player's expanded mobility.

covr

Prophet
Patron
Does it make game worse or better? Because I want to play the best possible version of the game with no intention of replaying it in the future.

Ash

Arcane
Ignore and go right ahead with the mod. As much as people back this mod, only I truly grasp just how much of a better time will be had from the years of subtle polishing up I did. The game is a legend but believe me it had a lot of objective flaws, for example the toolbelt (switching weapons) forgetting the positioning you had whenever you put away a weapon, or nightvision goggles/augmentation now lets you see in the dark when originally it did nothing, or newly added inventory hotkeys/shortcuts that cuts inventory screen navigation time by two thirds, or attempting to pick up corpses but you simply can't because your inventory is full is now fixed by simply double-clicking, or numerous weapon mods originally doing absolutely nothing in certain contexts. These are the types of things I'd do in a day, now times it by five years with very few breaks.

Last edited:

Raskens

Learned
Patron
Does it make game worse or better? Because I want to play the best possible version of the game with no intention of replaying it in the future.

It makes the game better. The only thing I didn't like was the mantling, because It removed the usefulness of the microfibral muscle augmentation. However, you can turn it off in the menu.

Ash

Arcane
Btw are you aware the function of the muscle augmentation was instead shifted over in focus to throwing objects at people (like in all the sequels) instead because of this? ...and because it's a shitton of fun and should have been present vanilla of course. With the aug installed and carrying an object, left click = power throw, right click = safely drop the object to the ground. the damage dealt depends on a simple factor of object mass and augmentation upgrade level, as well as hit location.

MMuscle2.gif

This is an example of a less-objective improvement that gmdx features, but only the most...unusual of fans would oppose it. It is the logical conclusion of the muscle augmentation, thematically-fitting, present in all the sequels for whatever that is worth (not a lot), very fun, and lastly optional...about the only argument possible would be one of balancing, which wouldn't be that persuasive when the mod is generally agreed to be overall more balanced than vanilla. The one bad thing that comes to my mind is that it makes use of explosive barrels trivial, but even that can be perceived as either a bad or good thing. How does the above gif not scream fun? Trivialized; it makes bots less threatening when throwable explosives are present, but on the other hand AI is generally improved, resources more tight on higher difficulties and so on, so what is the end result really? Rhetorical question. the many pros clearly outweigh the one/few cons and honestly the airfield level in particular was always a total pain in the ass, you seriously lacked tools to deal with them and would likely meet many frustrating deaths if you wanted to engage in combat or exploration (sneak past them and head straight for the hangar was the clear optimal strategy in this case). One of the hardest maps in the game otherwise and its an early one. It's also not that much of a game changer: vanilla you just had to pick up the barrel, set it down then shoot it. Cumbersome, but it was more challenging to do and ideally demanding of weapon skill investment for whatever that is worth...As if weapon skills need that further value (they don't).

As for mantling, again another thing that is not quite an objective improvement with zero downsides, yet again the many pros clearly outweigh the few cons. All else fails disable it in the options menu.

Basically the features of the mod can be summed up as follows: 70% objective improvements, 29% they're mostly improvements and if you disagree you have shit taste or miss the point. Remaining 1% is where I may or may not have fucked up and actually did something that results in a lesser experience.

:smug:

One more thing, just because there is mantling doesn't mean box stacking is redundant. Box stacking is often combined with mantling to reach even higher. It still plays a role, just a lesser one. Furthermore mantling does not get you to any elevation that vanilla jump aug + stacking could not, it just makes it easier (and arguably more fun).

Last edited:

Raskens

Learned
Patron
Btw are you aware the function of the muscle augmentation was instead shifted over in focus to throwing objects at people (like in all the sequels) instead because of this? ...and because it's a shitton of fun and should have been present vanilla of course. With the aug installed and carrying an object, left click = power throw, right click = safely drop the object to the ground.

Well, I always attempt to ghost the game as much as possible, so throwing objects doesn't make it useful for my playstyle. I can see it being balanced if you are playing it as a FPS or a hybrid character.

Raskens

Learned
Patron
On another note, does any of the GMDX versions adjust how much xp you get for certain actions? I always end up with an abundance of xp at the end which I can only spend on combat skills because I've already maxed out the stealth skills.

Ash

Arcane
Well, I always attempt to ghost the game as much as possible, so throwing objects doesn't make it useful for my playstyle. I can see it being balanced if you are playing it as a FPS or a hybrid character.

In which case mantling is massively useful to make the silent running vs speed enhancement choice not screw stealth players hard, and you should also allow yourself to enjoy mantling since the AI are a lot harder now and therefore make traversal of maps in stealth more difficult (but of course, you also get numerous new stealth features like better leaning, stealth skill which also help there).
Also, mantling doesn't make box stacking redundant. It just changes the base elevation range. Of course this means any vanilla specifically-designed knee-high stacking challenge is redundant (which I tried to sensibly account for if possible), but instead new ones at higher elevation open up, some also designed specifically by me, but many are emergent design. You can combine box stacking and mantling to more easily reach new heights as a stealth player, one that ideally doesn't take speed enhancement (which vanilla every build and playstyle should take speed aug without exception - it was objectively better even for stealth).

Last edited:

RoSoDude

Arcane
It's worth noting that Microfibral Muscle wasn't really worth upgrading past Tech One in vanilla either. To associate an arbitrary unit to the mass variable, the base lifting capacity is 50 kg, while Tech I/II/III/IV of Microfibral Muscle allow the agent to lift up to 100/150/200/250 kg. However, nearly every object in the range of 50 kg to 250 kg is no heavier than 100 kg, so the first rank is sufficient to lift most everything. The only relevant exceptions for grabbable physics objects are the large crate (150 kg), the Hong Kong couch (200 kg), and the road barricade (200 kg). The White House-themed cabinet (125 kg), office desk (200 kg), and red couch (200 kg) would apply, but AFAIK they're completely unused.

Interestingly enough, Microfibral Muscle did actually affect throw velocity in the vanilla game, but to such a subtle degree that pretty much no one noticed since throwing wasn't terribly viable in the first place (1.25/1.50/1.75/2.00 multiplier). So GMDX's power throw not only gives new value to upgrading the augmentation, but also in a manner that I'd regard as compatible with the original design intent. But, you know, 100/150/200/250% more fun.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
On another note, does any of the GMDX versions adjust how much xp you get for certain actions? I always end up with an abundance of xp at the end which I can only spend on combat skills because I've already maxed out the stealth skills.

GMDX does offer approximately 10% more xp because of the inclusion of the perk system and stealth skill. Some skills are also made cheaper, more accurately relative to their actual value (e.g demolitions doesn't cost tons despite doing next to nothing vanilla). But what exactly is your definition of a "combat skill" or a "Stealth skill"? All but one skill is not beneficial to stealth and that is heavy weapons. Now if you're going ghost, then yes not much is relevant to you but this was always the case. In fact you miss a significant portion of the game's content going ghost. I only recommend that style of play on your fifth playthrough at least. It's a legitimate playstyle nonetheless but shouldn't be given the same weight it has in say Thief. Ghosting leads to missed conversations/NPC interactions, limited/redundant build choices, limited exploration which is frankly ridiculous when exploration in Deus Ex is so fun, and much more.

edit: stuff

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom