Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Deus Ex GMDX: Deus Ex Advancement Mod v9 Released!

JohannDaart

Novice
Damn, I really forgot how amazing DX is...

I feel that still to this day, it puts to shame many games.

For example, the third mission (Statue, Castle, then the third is NYC city) has such great level design and layers of content.
The map is vertical, sewers-floors-roofs.

Seriously, its better than many current games. Not even mentioning the whole scenario, because it just mops the floor with modern bs.

Ash

Arcane
What's the gain of playing vanilla for a first playthrough?

Easier to play I guess

GMDX should be a lot easier to get into and play.

-Default Keybinds follow modern conventions rather than based on ancient layouts that takes ages to rebind.
-New Autosave system.
-Kenties launcher included for GUI scaling, easy setup etc
-Defaults to DX10 renderer which avoids numerous common install problems.
-And of course the mod polishes up the game itself in thousands of ways, thereby making it easier to get in to.

Now of course it adds complexity/inaccessibility to a new player by requiring install, but my goal was to make installation as simple as possible; I automated most of it. The user only need follow these four steps: https://gmdxmod.com/download-gmdx/

Geee it seems that safe is removed in ash's mod,shame it was nice ester egg. Also i have some bug that crashes the game if you use a scope zoom.

change renderer.

that said,i am curious if there is a key for the locker in the break room in unatco hq.

No key.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Now of course it adds complexity/inaccessibility to a new player by requiring install, but my goal was to make installation as simple as possible; I automated most of it. The user only need follow these four steps: https://gmdxmod.com/download-gmdx/
The installer, starting the game etc (and autosaves) is really useable. I can't tell you how often I've lost more than an hour of progress in deus ex by forgetting to save, especially when I was younger. And as you say, deus ex vanilla is a bit tricky to install these days since you need to figure out what render to use and other such things.

The inaccessibility the mod adds though is more in the game itself. Deus ex never really had a good tutorial, so I could see some people having more trouble due to things gmdx adds since it's more stuff that is not explained (well) in game. But by modern standards, most of dx or gmdx isn't very exotic or things experienced gamers won't have seen elsewhere (or won't immediately grasp like NPC's throwing flares into dark areas) and it is perhaps hard to believe inexperienced gamers will seek out a game more than two decades old.

Ash

Arcane
The mod's tutorial includes refinements and an extension to explain notable new mechanics and the like. It also includes minor additions to explain important vanilla mechanics that were originally unexplained, like how takedowns actually work (some melee weapons are slient takedowns, others loud. Get in close and aim for the correct bodypart/s). Complete with practice hologram. Kind of needed for new gamers post the cinematic awesome button takedown.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
It's not per se. If you're going hardcore mode then gmdx is for sure more difficult. If you're playing anything lower then it's more grey. There's many ways in which the game is harder, and many in which it is easier. Not getting RNG headshot instakilled by pistol dudes all the time early game, for instance. Having more tactical options and build choices than ever as another example.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I'm glad there is a GMDX v10 that rectifies all the mistakes and bugs from the original mod. A mod for a mod ffs.
facepalm.png

Ash

Arcane
Except that is not what it is, and the original mod doesn't actually have many bugs at all, the people behind that """v10""" travesty just have a very broad and twisted definition of what a bug actually is.
Not one person in this thread has stated GMDX is buggy, I wonder why that is?

Also that fork was technically stolen from me against my wishes. In the readme I requested people wanting to mod the mod ask my permission (and they would have been denied. I know who they are). So they stole it, made a bunch of claims, superseded the versioning, and here we are.

Last edited:

JohannDaart

Novice
What I've noticed about balance in GMDX:

I have both Electronics and Lockpicking at Advanced and it seems that I'm running around with 9 Electronic Tools and I constantly don't have enough Lockpicks, even if I'm usually trying to find all possible keys for the doors.

Ash

Arcane
They are actually reasonably balanced:

1. I did perhaps make a mistake by making lockpicks on average more well hidden, which contributes to this perception among some players. So really be thorough.

2. You have 9 multitools and zero lockpicks, but this can easily be because of your usage:

-Lockpicks are for gaining access to blocked off content, or shortcuts.
-Multitools are for gaining access to blocked off content, OR disabling a security threat.
-remember you can alternatively destroy most things that can be lockpicked or multitooled.
-It is often smart to find an alternative means to using a lockpick or multitool. You can only be liberal with them with skill mastery by design.

The important thing to ask is are you using multitools to disable security threats and the like, or are you saving them just for keypads? This is quite common player behavior. This is often what creates the perception of a lack of balance between the two skills in players, in combination with my mistake of making certain lockpicks well hidden. Multitools distribution is based around 50% use on keypads, 50% use on security systems. Lockpicks on the other hand are designed around 100% opening doors. Did I approach this wrong? I don't think so. I think it is a vanilla design problem as a result of the multifunctional use of multitools that I maybe should have tried harder to rectify somehow. It was just never noticed vanilla because the balance of these two trees was broke (advanced and master were unnecessary and ludicrously expensive - lockpicks and multitools were rather abundant making going past trained redundant) .I mean, I did try to address it in part by making security systems much more relevant: cameras spot corpses on hardcore, alarm panels actually do something now and are pressed much more often, turrets have greater range on higher diffs, but it is still not enough to encourage many players to hack an alarm panel or a turret. In many cases it can be wasteful. The wireless strength perk is another attempt, hacking at range is extremely useful for security systems, but it is a advanced perk so you're nearing being able to be liberal with multitools in general at this point. I also reduced the hack strength of most security systems (cameras are set to 15% universally, when vanilla they ranged wildly based on location and could go up to 90%).

Last edited:

JohannDaart

Novice
I'm not complaining Ash, just giving feedback from playing GMDX for the first time.

I am trying to find all possible codes, passwords, hackable consoles, before using lockpicks/tools.
I am a hoarder in games and I usually prowl around the maps for loot. Kills a bit of fun, but this OCD is stronger than me.
Yet, while having Electronics at Trained (not Advanced, I've made a mistake), Lockpicks at Advanced, Hacking at Advanced, I'm at Lockpick scarcity and Tool abundance.

I also think it depends on the stage of the game and build.

Until meeting Lebedev in 747, I had problems with Lockpicks.
But I'm not using a GEP gun at all or LAMs for destroying locks.

Now after visiting HQ and Hell's Kitchen, I have 5 Lockpicks.
Then I guess, because I'm going for DTS build with LowTech at Master, being able to destroy a lot of locks, I will have abundance of Lockpicks.

I actually doubt if a perfect balance of lockpicks/tools is possible, because of how Deus Ex is designed, with various systems and solutions meshed together. It's a bit of a mess.

So if in vanilla, they remedied this problem with throwing a lot of lockpicks and tools at a player, then me running out of lockpicks in GMDX makes it more interesting ;)

RoSoDude

Arcane
For reference, there are 163 lockpicks spread across the game, and 158 multitools (as of GMDX v9). So definitely balanced in raw count, just perhaps not in how easy they are to find, nor how relevant they may be for your playstyle. Multitools have a much broader use case, but players often choose to be stingy with them, vs lockpicks which are used frequently.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
In my current playthrough with GMDX (just got back to Hell's Kitchen after the hangar), it's actually the other way around, I have like 7 lockpicks and only a couple of multi-tools.

JohannDaart

Novice
In my current playthrough with GMDX (just got back to Hell's Kitchen after the hangar), it's actually the other way around, I have like 7 lockpicks and only a couple of multi-tools.

Just out of interest, do you use GEP/LAM/TNT to open up doors/locks?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Just out of interest, do you use GEP/LAM/TNT to open up doors/locks?
No, I kinda save scum. I pick a lock just to see what is inside, if it isn't worth it I reload. I'm terrible, I know. I also have max lockpicking + the perk which lets me open anything with one lockpick. But it's worth noting that it's not worth lockpicking most of the time. It usually leads to a multi-tool (or combat ammo), which I found are less useful than lockpicks because there's usually a way to circumvent lasers and cameras.

JohannDaart

Novice
Uhh, this lockpick situation is tough.

Upon getting out of
MJ12 prison
and going through UNATCO HQ, in Sam's armory there's a 4x lockpick cabinet. Alex closet is 4x tools or 2x lockpicks while the code 2001 is not working. Hidden compartment in Alex room is also 2x lockpick. On Level 2, insiside storage, there's 2x chimney...

At Advanced Lockpicking, without DTS, without blowing things up, that's 10 lockpicks needed to get the loot? Ah there's also 2x Lockpick cabinet inside conference room.

Ash

Arcane
Yes. You're still half way in your lockpick skill progression. Untrained -> Trained -> Advanced -> Master -> Locksport or whatever I named that perk. Don't expect to get it all if you've not invested it all. Well. you can still get it all or nearly all, but it involves using explosives, multitools, and other methods.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Uhh, this lockpick situation is tough.

Upon getting out of
MJ12 prison
and going through UNATCO HQ, in Sam's armory there's a 4x lockpick cabinet. Alex closet is 4x tools or 2x lockpicks while the code 2001 is not working. Hidden compartment in Alex room is also 2x lockpick. On Level 2, insiside storage, there's 2x chimney...

At Advanced Lockpicking, without DTS, without blowing things up, that's 10 lockpicks needed to get the loot? Ah there's also 2x Lockpick cabinet inside conference room.
:hmmm:
Ahhh lockpicks are the easiest thing get past lol,just blow up the locked doors and keep your lockpics for doors you can't blow up. That is why the RPG and lambs are the most useful,and there is plenty of them in the game. Also there is plenty of TNT boxes to move around and use them as improvised lockpick :lol:

JohannDaart

Novice
Ahhh lockpicks are the easiest thing get past lol

Yeah, after getting DTS it became ez ;)

Is the Quick Stop shop in HK the only "shop" in HK? (one of the two in the game, other one being in Paris?). I thought that I could get full auto mod in HK.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom