Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

spekkio

Arcane
Don't worry, guys.
One day all Fallout games will be back.
As a 1+2+FT+3+3:NV pack.

:smug:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I have to agree that I find it rather apt that the pulling of the Fallout titles is done by a user named "JudasIscariot".

Can't we send him a pouch of 30 silver pieces with the Fallout Boy sewed on the pouch?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
GOG interview: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/...amer-resistance-to-drm-is-stronger-than-ever/

Wired.co.uk: You've previously spoken about sales not devaluing games and pricing needing to reflect value—how did you settle on the winter sale prices? There are some hefty discounts there.

Rambourg: That's something that we struggled with. There's no doubting that big game discounts generate a lot of revenues, but it's also true that we're teaching a whole generation of gamers that their hobby is worth roughly the same as an iPhone app. Many gamers are getting games in bundles, and they're paying less than 99 cents per game! This is good for gamers in the short run, because they amass huge collections, but it's not good for the industry in the long run, because we will eventually reach the point where we can't sell games at full price because gamers know that the title will be 70, 80, or 90 percent off soon enough.

On the other hand, that's the market we're in. You adapt or you die, and this is something that has definitely proven to be good for our growth in the short-term, even though we can see that it definitely impacts the sale of games at full price outside of discount periods.

Wired.co.uk: What has GOG got lined up for 2014?

Rambourg: We'll have some big site changes in 2014—we are working hard this very moment to make them public sooner rather than later in the coming year. Also, we have two major projects underway, both of which should be huge news for our users and the community. I can't go into much detail—I'd have to kill you—but it's going to be awesome.

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
What do people think about the 'Runaway' adventure games? They're on sale... I remember trying the first one but thinking it was terrible years ago.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
GOG interview: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/...amer-resistance-to-drm-is-stronger-than-ever/

Wired.co.uk: You've previously spoken about sales not devaluing games and pricing needing to reflect value—how did you settle on the winter sale prices? There are some hefty discounts there.

Rambourg: That's something that we struggled with. There's no doubting that big game discounts generate a lot of revenues, but it's also true that we're teaching a whole generation of gamers that their hobby is worth roughly the same as an iPhone app. Many gamers are getting games in bundles, and they're paying less than 99 cents per game! This is good for gamers in the short run, because they amass huge collections, but it's not good for the industry in the long run, because we will eventually reach the point where we can't sell games at full price because gamers know that the title will be 70, 80, or 90 percent off soon enough.

On the other hand, that's the market we're in. You adapt or you die, and this is something that has definitely proven to be good for our growth in the short-term, even though we can see that it definitely impacts the sale of games at full price outside of discount periods.

It's up to publishers and developers to make games that people want to buy without waiting for sales.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
It's up to publishers and developers to make games that people want to buy without waiting for sales.
Especially when their backlog is full of "myst buy" titles.
Not to mention people with less money who propably never bough in full price.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
The sale is over. :(
Indeed, I didn't even know it was a sale. Yesterday I went to purchase the things in my cart and I found out that they had doubled in price...
I'm the guy who cancelled cable when they tacked on a $2.00 sports surcharge, so yeah, my nose will be on the floor while my face can go fuck itself.

Shannow

Waster of Time

Well, the majority of their portfolio is Old Games. Of course a >10 year old game will not be worth more than a "current app". The simple fact that there is still a demand for those games shows that the devs did a decent job.
The challenge for GOG, I think, is not so much "teaching" customers that constant sales of those games damages the industry (mainly because it's nonsense. Most dev studios don't exist anymore and GOG got the rights for peanuts :roll:) but teaching customers that there's a difference in price between a new indie game and a game from the early nineties.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
They got partnership with curse.com.
Some gaming site like raptr/xfire/playfire? The hell is that?
Last time, years ago tried Xfire but saw no reason to stay.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

xfire essentially used to be the game overlay/multiplayer friend finder before steam got cool with the kids.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
There's no doubting that big game discounts generate a lot of revenues, but it's also true that we're teaching a whole generation of gamers that their hobby is worth roughly the same as an iPhone app.

You poor, deluded man. I hate to break it to you, but the majority of games released today are worth no more than iPhone apps.

Name

Cipher
There's no doubting that big game discounts generate a lot of revenues, but it's also true that we're teaching a whole generation of gamers that their hobby is worth roughly the same as an iPhone app.

You poor, deluded man. I hate to break it to you, but the majority of games released today are worth no more than iPhone apps.

You are deluded. Games should be free. There is no sense to pay for some virtual digital things to play or waste your time. That's also the only way to completely eliminate piracy. Boxed games however can ask for money, since there are goodies, and discs, and stuff. For the collector in your heart. And when you are downloading digital games, you are already paying for your bandwidth, and electric bill. So even that it's not that free.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

You are deluded. Games should be free. There is no sense to pay for some virtual digital things to play or waste your time. That's also the only way to completely eliminate piracy. Boxed games however can ask for money, since there are goodies, and discs, and stuff. For the collector in your heart. And when you are downloading digital games, you are already paying for your bandwidth, and electric bill. So even that it's not that free.
What the fuck? :lol: I hope you are being sarcastic.

Name

Cipher
After visiting it I still don't know what it is about. No really, wtf
JudasIscariot

I read that they start as Nexus for MMO like WOW. Now they are also expanding, Project Eternity Wiki is hosted there, along with The Vault after problems with Wikia.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The Fallouts have been pulled from GOG: http://af.gog.com/news/removed_from_catalog_fallout_1_2_tactics?as=1649904300

All your Fallout is belong to Bethesda. :hero:

Their twitter just tried explaining why the games were pulled from GOG and Steam:

https://twitter.com/Bethblog/status/418874134056017920

We have to remove existing publisher info, legal text, etc.

Not sure that's all there is to it, but that's the semi-official explanation at least.

They also say their first priority is getting the games back on Steam: https://twitter.com/Bethblog/status/418877286989840384 (and evade any direct response about the games ever being available on GOG again).

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Stupid Bethesda, SELL REDGUARD AND BATTLESPIRE THERE. Don't you like money??

Heck, they could even remove the free Arena and Daggerfall downloads from their site and put them there. I'm sure plenty of people would buy them anyway.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Heck, they could even remove the free Arena and Daggerfall downloads from their site and put them there. I'm sure plenty of people would buy them anyway.
I know I would. I hate having all my digital downloads scattered across 100s of sites, so GOG if possible and Steam if there are no other options

Cassidy

Arcane

Any cent given to Bethesda is a cent for Decline. If they think their oldschool games have no market value, everyone else wins. And even if they tried to develop a new oldschool CRPG, the end result would inevitably turn into shit considering the quality of their staff.

Why do you want to help Bethesda? Are you a race traitor?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

I'd loooove to see Battlespire and Redguard on GOG, but that'd require Beth to fix the compatibility/stability issues, at least some of the bugs, etc. Unfortunately I just don't see that happening - Bethesda's focus is clearly elsewhere (i.e. on big AAA bucks). Heck, they didn't even include those games in the Totally Complete Elder Scrolls Anthology...

As for Arena and Daggerfall, pulling the free downloads from their site would be a dick move (not that I think Bethesda is incapable of such a move, of course) - however, they could distribute it for free on GOG too. GOG does have a fair share of free games, after all. That would be good, because as stony3k said, having most of your digital downloads available in one place (or two) sure is convenient.

I doubt it would be too much effort to make them compatible with modern systems, Redguard and Battlespire aren't that ancient. Guess they just don't think anyone is interested.

Most people already do, I imagine. The average gamer probably doesn't have the patience or the need to wait until the game he wants to play has a huge discount (i.e., when everyone played it already). And since he doesn't have a huge backlog like the hardcore gamer, paying 10-20 more bucks for a game isn't a big problem.

Also, the DLC model has already trained people to accept it's okay to keep spending money on the same game over a long time. They just have to learn to offer shit that people actually want to buy immediately, instead of zero-effort milking like character costumes.

:Flash:

Arcane
I doubt it would be too much effort to make them compatible with modern systems, Redguard and Battlespire aren't that ancient. Guess they just don't think anyone is interested.
With Redguard it being not so ancient is one of the main problems. Redguard is one of those strange Windows/Dos Hybrids that are almost impossible to run on a modern system. It uses a Windows installer, Shockwave Flash to display Videos, but is at its core a Dos Program. It uses the Dos way of communicating with soundcards, but a Windows configuration program that lets you choose your sound card and Port / IRQ / DMA. It's the only game I know of that does this.
Some people got it to run under Dosbox, but the game will always crash at some point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom