Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Cool, that's the one General game I've never played.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
What about giant gay Kaiju's that fuck buildings to death. It ain't a game...... yet.

So that is why the west coast esp san francisco is full of mega gayness. EVIL GIANT GAY KAIJU is fucking everything. Pheromones pervert the weak. Prolly spreading aids too....

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Anyway, let us see what you're missing.
Those sounds are just ............. FUCKING AWFUL!!

vs.

AMERICA!
ipEDC6q.png

GOG's games have long felt castrated. It used to be that current games weren't getting the full treatment, with delayed patches and all (if the game ever got patched actually) but now even older games are getting less love. Sadly it's not just GOG's responsability. Night Dive et al started to "align" GOG and Steam's versions of games and there's little reason to stay at GOG considering most Steam games are DRM free already, you can use offline mode and you'll get patches in time and etc. These days, GOG's only perk are getting native widescreen support and/or 4gb patches preapplied. And that's it.

hayst

Educated
GOG's games have long felt castrated. It used to be that current games weren't getting the full treatment, with delayed patches and all (if the game ever got patched actually) but now even older games are getting less love. Sadly it's not just GOG's responsability. Night Dive et al started to "align" GOG and Steam's versions of games and there's little reason to stay at GOG considering most Steam games are DRM free already, you can use offline mode and you'll get patches in time and etc.
Haven't personally noticed GOG get worse in this regard but Steam has certainly gotten better. Used to be nothing old ever worked out of the box. Ever since they started to work with Codeweavers on Proton they've easy been the compatibility leaders in at least the Linux space.

GOG's games have long felt castrated. It used to be that current games weren't getting the full treatment, with delayed patches and all (if the game ever got patched actually) but now even older games are getting less love. Sadly it's not just GOG's responsability. Night Dive et al started to "align" GOG and Steam's versions of games and there's little reason to stay at GOG considering most Steam games are DRM free already, you can use offline mode and you'll get patches in time and etc.
Haven't personally noticed GOG get worse in this regard but Steam has certainly gotten better. Used to be nothing old ever worked out of the box. Ever since they started to work with Codeweavers on Proton they've easy been the compatibility leaders in at least the Linux space.
Well if you use Linux Steam is definitely kinder to you than GOG. A huge chunk of their overlapping games are fully functional on Linux while that's not the case with GOG. GOGs' problems are more subtle and have been increasing with time but off the top of my head I can mention the following:

-As I said, outdated patches. Some critical cases were the games weren't even patched at all.
-Missing DLCs for games that are available on Steam too.
-Multiplayer and online functionalities are often not included or reserved to Galaxy users only.
-Games with nudity have to be patched manually, while Steam offers it right from the start.
-GOG themselves are starting to offer little bits of content for CDPR games that are only available if you play the game through Galaxy.

hayst

Educated
Well if you use Linux Steam is definitely kinder to you than GOG. A huge chunk of their overlapping games are fully functional on Linux while that's not the case with GOG. GOGs' problems are more subtle and have been increasing with time but off the top of my head I can mention the following:

-As I said, outdated patches. Some critical cases were the games weren't even patched at all.
-Multiplayer and online functionalities are often not included or reserved to Galaxy users only.
-Games with nudity have to be patched manually, while Steam offers it right from the start.
-GOG themselves are starting to offer little bits of content for CDPR games that are only available if you play the game through Galaxy.
Galaxy is weird. Feels like it was suppose to be the solution to downloading bigger games off of GOG but it's also so antithetical to what I like most about the platform. That getting pushed just feels like they don't understand the appeal of their service.

Galaxy is weird. Feels like it was suppose to be the solution to downloading bigger games off of GOG but it's also so antithetical to what I like most about the platform. That getting pushed just feels like they don't understand the appeal of their service.
The client remained as one of the all time most voted items in their wishlist. It was asked by the community, and they provided it. I'm quite sure that it was required as a business item for major companies to keep publishing newer games on the platform, even though I don't think it actually does any tracking that I know of. One thing's for certain though, it's still broken as fuck and no progress seems to be made on it.
I think I've mentioned it before but I'm on the verge of ditching GOG now. It's not worth it outside a few DOS releases and all, but yeah, I don't really feel like making another purchase in that site.

Lucumo

Educated
I think I've mentioned it before but I'm on the verge of ditching GOG now. It's not worth it outside a few DOS releases and all, but yeah, I don't really feel like making another purchase in that site.
It's only really worth it for the DRM-free part but everything else is awful. The forum software is terrible. The forum users are mostly miserable which reflects the overall state. The GOG team is incompetent and their attitude to everything is probably the worst part of it. They also repeatedly broke promises. The releases can be unsupported, partly broken, pre-(fan)patched etc. Add to that political bias (screwing over their Russian and Belarusian users) and the verdict is a definitive negative.

Last edited:
It's only really worth it for the DRM-free part but everything else is awful. The forum software is terrible. The forum users are mostly miserable which reflects the overall state. The GOG team is incompetent and their attitude to everything is probably the worst part of it. They also repeatedly broke promises. The releases can be unsupported, partly broken, pre-(fan)patched etc. Add to that polticial bias (screwing over their Russian and Belarusian users) and the verdict is a definitive negative.
The gold box games are on Steam now. Slowly but surely the whole reason of being for GOG is fading away... The issue is that Steam is not only big but also willing to accomodate. Ironically, Steam has proven to be a pc first platform much more than GOG ever has.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Except I don't want steam on every computer. That shit just asking me to update is fucking annoying. My next laptop will be a steam computer but not my current one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom