Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
If you're only interested in CRPG and strategy games - or only from publishers that respect their customers rights - you may as well skip doing research and buy the game from GOG.
Their catalogue is way thinner than what Steam has.

Azdul

Magister
If you're only interested in CRPG and strategy games - or only from publishers that respect their customers rights - you may as well skip doing research and buy the game from GOG.
Their catalogue is way thinner than what Steam has.
From my wishlist - games that are missing from GOG are also missing from Steam. With an exception of few Gary Grigsby titles - where Steam still has few games not available on GOG.

Few times that I've bought a game from Steam when it was not available on GOG - there was actually a very good reason why GOG rejected / was not offered particular title.

However - I fully admit that I'm a weirdo when it comes to videogames.

I'm impatiently waiting for final version of bug-fixed Daggerfall (Daggerfall Unity) - a game that I've bought in 1996. I've recently finished first Icewind Dale. When it comes to Eye of Beholder - I've seriously considered spending few months fixing ScummVM versions - before giving up and buying a MIST to experience definitive AGA versions.

When it comes to Oblivion - I've started contributing to OpenMW to allow it to handle compressed ES4 files - before some Russian (Kuzya) had improved the original engine enough to meet my standards. Unfortunately Kuzya stopped his project around 21st of September 2022 ;) - so maybe it's time for us to step up and make open source OpenOB.

None of these projects would be possible when digital platforms like Steam bow down to publishers - and original game is protected by layers of DRM years after its original release.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Front Mission titles are Japanese console-style turn-based strategy mech games set in a dystopian war torn near future scenario. It's fair to say they play like Fire Emblem or Final Fantasy Tactics with mechs, although that's a gross oversimplification. The story and themes were cool, with a strong 80s anime vibe supported by beautiful art from Yoshitaka Amano (of Final Fantasy fame).

Square Enix murdered the franchise a long time ago. They tried to turn it into a third-person shooter with mechs (Front Mission Evolved) and then made a weird spin-off set in the FM universe (Left Alive) that seemed like a failed attempt to rip off Metal Gear.

It's worth noting that this remake is developed and published by a Polish company.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I wonder when Alien Logic from SSI will be available on GOG (prolly fucked up like it was on myabandonware).

For Reference:

I thought I had a box of this. Guess not. I'd like a longer review but not those 2 hour plus playthroughs.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh yeah! That's a much better release. Veil should have also been 5.99 imho but w/e. I doubt it is much different than the abandonware it was a few years back.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I remember The Summoning being deleted from abandonware sites quite often before
wonder why

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Highly recommend you guys pick up F.E.A.R: Platinum.
It's on sale right now.
Awesome shooter and pretty good expansion packs too!
Gotta replay it for sure.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Awesome!
When are we gonna celebrate Nigger History Month and BLM?

What happened to the comment section?...
Damn racist DRUMPF supporters!

Some choice replies on their Twitter post about it. Oh, and their news link in the forum got locked 'cause it was causing a stir. These days all you have to do is trigger one rainbow puff muffin and they declare martial law.

In GOG's case, as I've said before, this feels like a slap to the face of a customer base that's seeing their model going down the drain. There is no reason to get stuff at gog anymore other than some select dos games.

racofer

Thread Incliner
Anyone using GOG that doesn't have all their offline installers backed up is using it wrong.

Zero point on using GOG over Steam if you still rely on their servers to have access to "your" games.

Anyone using GOG that doesn't have all their offline installers backed up is using it wrong.

Zero point on using GOG over Steam if you still rely on their servers to have access to "your" games.
Personally I hate their installers. In most case I just download the stuff and pack it with 7zip for archiving purposes. Most of their old games are lousy optimized anyway so I still have to tinker with their settings (or use a custom DOSBox to replace theirs) after installing to get proper results.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom