Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Even though it's still August GOG started an Autumn sale for some reason

Also Hero of The kingdom 2 is free on their main page
It's so their sales don't overlap with Steam's.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Even though it's still August GOG started an Autumn sale for some reason
Climate change.
maxresdefault.jpg

Anyway, you guys pick up anything worthwhile from Gog recently?

Gog was never "that" great, it lived on people's good will and while they still had it, they got burned during what was probably their most vulnerable moment. The issue with GOG is that a storefront that's solely dedicated to old DOS games isn't viable. They admitted it themselves when they started accepting newer games. Then they backpedalled on that too. Then they've had controversy after controversy with botched game releases, weird issues with DRMed stuff in their games, etc etc etc. Buying a game in GOG sets you for a time of uncertainty because you'll never be 100% sure if you're going to get all of the updates for that game. And it's kida weird to realize how many delisted games I've accumulated in my account, which is probably the sole reason why I haven't purged it yet.

Paladino

Novice
Time to put the incapable scum that has run this once-great company into the ground on menstrual leave... permanently!:smug:

The problem with incompetent people running things is that the chances of them closing shop are probably higher than dealing with the problem and kicking the parasites out.

I like GOG in the sense that they are a DRM-free outlet and many games would never have a DRM-free version available if GOG didn't exist (and I would never play those games otherwise). So I'll always support them with those releases if the games are interesting to me.

Vyadhis

Learned
Gog was never "that" great, it lived on people's good will and while they still had it, they got burned during what was probably their most vulnerable moment. The issue with GOG is that a storefront that's solely dedicated to old DOS games isn't viable. They admitted it themselves when they started accepting newer games. Then they backpedalled on that too. Then they've had controversy after controversy with botched game releases, weird issues with DRMed stuff in their games, etc etc etc. Buying a game in GOG sets you for a time of uncertainty because you'll never be 100% sure if you're going to get all of the updates for that game. And it's kida weird to realize how many delisted games I've accumulated in my account, which is probably the sole reason why I haven't purged it yet.

This is why I've never seen the site as an alternative to steam. I just use it for really old games I can't acquire elsewhere and plan on putting on m-discs in the future. Stuff like the OG Icewind Dale, BG1+2 because eventually they will be delisted which really defeats the original purpose of gog. I don't see them as saints of game preservation like others do but hey its nice to have all these offline game installers. GoG will probably go under earlier than steam but by then I'll have everything worthwhile backed up. Recommend other people do the same.

Paladino

Novice
Stuff like the OG Icewind Dale, BG1+2 because eventually they will be delisted which really defeats the original purpose of gog.

I'm not following. Technically, any game can be delisted from any digital store. Why will those be delisted in particular? And how does that defeat the original purpose of GOG?

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I for one welcome the relegitimization of abandonware. Gog were and are a bunch of grifters ready to sell out the hobby first chance they got.

Vyadhis

Learned
Stuff like the OG Icewind Dale, BG1+2 because eventually they will be delisted which really defeats the original purpose of gog.

I'm not following. Technically, any game can be delisted from any digital store. Why will those be delisted in particular? And how does that defeat the original purpose of GOG?
Ok
It defeats the purpose of gog.com because their original purpose was to preserve old games.

They probably will not get delisted but I have this paranoid delusion due to my intense dislike for Beamdog that they will convince gog.com that people only play the EEs and to take the OGs down. Its already bullshit you have to pay beamdog to get the originals.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
but I have this paranoid delusion due to my intense dislike for Beamdog that they will convince gog.com that people only play the EEs and to take the OGs down. Its already bullshit you have to pay beamdog to get the originals.
You and me both, brother.
With this trend of remasters and remakes, yeah, who can know what the future holds in store.

Ok
It defeats the purpose of gog.com because their original purpose was to preserve old games.

They probably will not get delisted but I have this paranoid delusion due to my intense dislike for Beamdog that they will convince gog.com that people only play the EEs and to take the OGs down. Its already bullshit you have to pay beamdog to get the originals.
But this already happened. You can't buy the originals directly and it was indeed a move Beamdog made.

Paladino

Novice
Ok

With or without EEs, you would be paying Beadog anyway since they are the ones with the license. And because GOG sells DRM-free copies, we can backup the originals that are fortunately made available with the purchase.

The purpose of GOG (which I'd argue is not preservation) is not being defeated, specially in this case, when they are the only digital store where you can still get the original game. And if tomorrow you can no longer get the original with a purchase, it won't be GOG's fault either, since it's a decision from the licensor.

Vyadhis

Learned
Ok

With or without EEs, you would be paying Beadog anyway since they are the ones with the license. And because GOG sells DRM-free copies, we can backup the originals that are fortunately made available with the purchase.

The purpose of GOG (which I'd argue is not preservation) is not being defeated, specially in this case, when they are the only digital store where you can still get the original game. And if tomorrow you can no longer get the original with a purchase, it won't be GOG's fault either, since it's a decision from the licensor.
Oh I totally forgot about beamdog owning the license! That really sucks but hey whatever. You're right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom