Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Azdul

Magister
I for one welcome the relegitimization of abandonware. Gog were and are a bunch of grifters ready to sell out the hobby first chance they got.
You won't be able to play some games in 10 years if publishers won't see the reason to sell DRM-free version.

Some games are probably lost forever - because they were never cracked - and DRM stopped working - so Steam just delisted them. For some uncracked games DRM was never updated to deal with modern OS or hardware.

When it comes to game preservation - GOG can be replaced by DRM-free competitor - like Zoom or Itch.io - but it will not be replaced by 'abadonware', pirates or Steam.

When it comes to open source game preservation projects - nobody is going to spend months disassembling and fixing some obscure old game if it cannot be legally bought.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
Managed to avoid being annoyed by the Galaxy 2.0 client in my time playing BG3 and System Shock Remake because I used Playnite as a frontend but I had to unfortunately touch it again tonight and yeah... How has it remained this shitty for this long?

Managed to avoid being annoyed by the Galaxy 2.0 client in my time playing BG3 and System Shock Remake because I used Playnite as a frontend but I had to unfortunately touch it again tonight and yeah... How has it remained this shitty for this long?
Do you need to have any sort of client running in the background like with Steam and EA or Ubisoft games?

ADL

Prophet
Do you need to have any sort of client running in the background like with Steam and EA or Ubisoft games?
Depends on DRM/dependencies. More of a case-by-case basis than a blanket yes or no but if you have something closed and it needs it to run, it will open it for you.

So it really is a good alternative to Galaxy, huh... does it detect updates and everything? can I add alternative .exes like in galaxy, for modded games and all?

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
So it really is a good alternative to Galaxy, huh... does it detect updates and everything? can I add alternative .exes like in galaxy, for modded games and all?
I was actually describing Galaxy lol, my mistake. But I think it applies to Playnite too.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Prolly can’t slap her ass or heal her by titty groping. That’s more a jap game feature.

“Bad dialogue” said:
“Doc she’s dying!”

“Stand back! These fingers are in full healing massage mode…. ACTIVATE!!”

“Uuunnnngggghhhh!!”

“She’s cumming to…. Ya saved her doc!”

“All in a days work.”

(Swats that sweet ass)

“Now get back out there TITTY-TWAT! Them zombies need slaying”

Zoo

Educated
It is must be some curse, because all of the clients are shit beside Steam. They all seems more abandoned than so called abandonware video games, even if they are mandatory. Publishers are evil.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It is must be some curse, because all of the clients are shit beside Steam.

GOG Downloader wasn't shit, it did what it was supposed to do (provide an automatic downloader for your GOG library with support for pause/resume/etc in case your internet connection sucked and the browser wasn't adequate).

As i wrote before, there is no reason for GOG (or any other game store) to waste money and time on a launcher, they should focus on improving - and fixing the various bug of - their site. At most they could provide a web API for library management/downloads/etc that the various open source launchers/downloaders could use instead of trying to roll their own.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Virtually every time someone has problems on GOG, they mention using Galaxy. Does this mean Galaxy is immensely popular with the GOGers, or that Galaxy is the root of their problems?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I’ve never used Galaxy. I just download directly into my offline library. You’ll be notified if a game has a patch or file added. Usually it’ll be a little blie dot and your game menu will state how many are “updated.” When you visit the game in your library it takes that individual notification away whether you dl it or not. As seen, 275 games have an update that i haven’t visited.
IMG_0003.jpeg

IMG_0004.jpeg

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You’ll be notified if a game has a patch or file added.

That is one of the bugs i had in mind in my previous post - the blue dot does not always appear. Technically it isn't really a bug as AFAICT it relies on someone from GOG's side to manually mark a game as updated, but that is really the wrong approach and the games should receive that mark automatically whenever the files change. As it is sometimes the offline download files do get updated but there is no such notification.

Also it'd be nice if the blue dot disappeared when you finished downloading all files instead of just expanding the game info.

There's also the issue that some games, when they get updated, don't get a patch installer. You have to install the game all over again if you're not using Galaxy. I dunno if this was changed tho.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom