Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

MerchantKing

Learned
This little field is my friend.

9OsDzcF.png

Zoo

Educated
It is must be some curse, because all of the clients are shit beside Steam.

GOG Downloader wasn't shit, it did what it was supposed to do (provide an automatic downloader for your GOG library with support for pause/resume/etc in case your internet connection sucked and the browser wasn't adequate).

As i wrote before, there is no reason for GOG (or any other game store) to waste money and time on a launcher, they should focus on improving - and fixing the various bug of - their site. At most they could provide a web API for library management/downloads/etc that the various open source launchers/downloaders could use instead of trying to roll their own.
I doesn't consider the old GOG Downloader as a full-blown client, but the downloading speed for Steam has been always faster. Certainly, it was not a great problem, because good old games are tiny.

As a lazy fuck, I actually use Galaxy nowadays, I don' hate it, but it has issues, and it seems mostly abandoned. Which clients I really hate are the mandatory clients of publishers, but I very rarely use them.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I doesn't consider the old GOG Downloader as a full-blown client

Well, what i implied was that there is no need for a full-blown client since the entire point of GOG is being DRM-free. Remove that and it is just a much worse version of Steam.

About Steam speeds, AFAIK Valve has a much bigger CDN than GOG so it makes sense, but that isn't really a client thing, it'd be the same with web-based downloads (unless they screwed up something horribly with the client but i doubt they wrote their own download code anyway, most likely they use whatever network functionality the framework they use to make their client uses).

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I take it the 5 ordeals from the other company will NEVER hit GOG?

Hell, why not the original 1-5 released (multi-platform package)? Then eclipse can have fun with these releases.

I’m one who’d like to see the entire series released even the Japanese ones translated and ported without emulation and have QOL. $30 though….. tough sell imho.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Thinking on this Wizardry Remastered and what GOG does offer from Digital Eclipse has me wondering where The TMNT Cowabunga Edition is or The Street Fighter 30th year anniversary Collection or Megaman Legacy Collection and hell what else? GOG got shat on again I guess.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Eclipse

I dunno, maybe some of these are uh…. Not mentioning. Some like these and maybe they are good:

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
*checks the gog forum *
first post was made in Octover 2017... took them a bit to catch up
and still partialy in Potato - text only, even though retail version had amazing voice acting

negator2vc

Scholar
Anyone know if Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered
is censored in any way for "modern audience"?

I read the release post but let's say I don't exactly trust GOG these days :(
And I don't want to pay for the remastered just to get the original as a "gift"
if I end up playing the original game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom