Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
They've been spamming me with those for a long time, but in their infinite wisdom they seem to be completely random so I'm yet to see one that would apply to a game I'm even remotely interested in.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, the games seem to be rather random, but it's more baffling to me that they don't say what the price is. Wasteland 3 is on discount. Ok, great, what's the discount? Discounted from what? They want me to click the link from their ad, log in to my account, apply the code, so I can see what the discount is? When they want to sell me something? Who came up with this and why?

ds

Cipher
Patron
Yeah, the games seem to be rather random, but it's more baffling to me that they don't say what the price is. Wasteland 3 is on discount. Ok, great, what's the discount? Discounted from what? They want me to click the link from their ad, log in to my account, apply the code, so I can see what the discount is? When they want to sell me something? Who came up with this and why?
Marketing twats came up with it. The idea is that if you already have put in the effort to add the game to your cart you are more likely to just buy it even if you find out that the discount is mediocre whereas if the discount is known but not impressive you are more likely to just ignore the mail. If you use GMail or another big email provider then just mark it as spam and let their sender reputation suffer until they get the hint.

JC'sBarber

Literate
Apparently Metal Gear Solid 2 was on GOG but was delisted for some reason and unlikely to return thanks to MGS Master Collection on Steam :argh:
It was removed because of some copyright issues with the live action footage, and supposedly the removal was only "temporary". Yeah, my ass.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Marketing twats came up with it. The idea is that if you already have put in the effort to add the game to your cart you are more likely to just buy it even if you find out that the discount is mediocre whereas if the discount is known but not impressive you are more likely to just ignore the mail. If you use GMail or another big email provider then just mark it as spam and let their sender reputation suffer until they get the hint.
I'm not really bothered by the emails, they go to the tab for ads/offers and I have this address mostly for stuff like GOG and other shops. If that's their sales strategy, they failed completely because I didn't bother following the link, if I saw what the price was and the game was interesting to me, I might have. I've never seen this strategy before (BIG DISCOUNT, PLEASE BUY SOME SHIT, WHAT'S THE PRICE? I DUNNO, IT'S A MYSTERY), and with how short people's attention spans are now, they expect the customers to do the work and engage with their spam, only to find out what the price is? Ok, I guess I don't understand marketing. :keepmymoney:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom