Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Google Stadia - "a game streaming service for everyone"

Codex Year of the Donut
If you don't notice the input lag in a fps at 45ms latency to Stadia/GFNow you should check a medic. (or stop exaggerating for effect)
My roundtrip delay on GeForce Now is <25ms, meaning it takes about 10-12ms for my input to reach the server.
screenshot.png

abija

Prophet
Same thing applies, even at 10ms. Fire something like quake champions, if it's still free. You can't track, you can't flick. It's worse than first generation lcds.

Last edited:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Plus, GeForce was doing this shit back in 2014! I bought a Shield Tablet for this exact purpose and it was great. I actually beat Ornstein and Smough for the first time on my Shield tablet in my office, streamed from my home computer 45 miles away on a tuesday morning before anyone else was at work and I had the internet all to myself. Was pretty fucking cool.

It was never about the technology. It was -- and is, and always will be -- about the games. It's that simple.

I am getting confused responses to this post. What, exactly, are people finding troubling about these few brief sentences?

Codex Year of the Donut
It appears that most expert-level tournament gamers can't detect input delays below ~48ms despite them thinking they all have superhero powers that let them detect delays of even 2ms
https://cogsci.yale.edu/sites/default/files/files/Thesis2017Banatt.pdf
If you can detect a 10ms delay then that would indeed qualify as superhuman.

Also, funny part from the article: a few non-video game players managed to crash the test software because it took them too long to detect the input delay.

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
It appears that most expert-level tournament gamers can't detect input delays below ~48ms despite them thinking they all have superhero powers that let them detect delays of even 2ms

Also, funny part from the article: a few non-video game players managed to crash the test software because it took them too long to detect the input delay.

Must've been Polygon journalists.

abija

Prophet
But it is not 10ms. It's 2 * 10ms + at least 1 game frame + encoding latency + whatever latency is already in your setup.
Anyone would notice instantly if they'd tried to track a target at 30 and 60 fps, which is a lower difference than best case stadia scenario.

Codex Year of the Donut
But it is not 10ms. It's 2 * 10ms + at least 1 game frame + encoding latency + whatever latency is already in your setup.
Anyone would notice instantly if they'd tried to track a target at 30 and 60 fps, which is a lower difference than best case stadia scenario.
Have you actually tried testing to see if you notice it?

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The real thing they were testing:
the EVGP group was overwhelmingly white and overwhelmingly male, whereas the NVGP group was neither mostly white nor mostly male

abija

Prophet
Yes I played QC on GFNow. Noticing is not even debatable.

Btw, from some random aim trainer video on youtube: https://imgur.com/ifTjWxY. 33ms average to notice new target, aim and click. Academia studies showing their worth yet again...

Codex Year of the Donut

Btw, from some random aim trainer video on youtube: https://imgur.com/ifTjWxY. 33ms average to notice new target, aim and click. Academia studies showing their worth yet again...
That's not testing input delay, it's testing how fast you can respond to stimuli.

by the way, that game isn't even available on geforce now.

Dexter

Arcane
If you actually think the round trip of sending your Input signal from your keyboard and mouse to a Google server, which then sends your data to a game server, the game server acknowledges your Input, sends data back to the Google server, the Google server encodes Live video of your gameplay and streams it back to you at home only takes 10-20ms you got much larger problems than exaggerating about "Game Streaming" and gotta go in for that Mental Health check exam, retards. If you're talking about a ping to www.google.com that sounds like a likely scenario, not otherwise.

It's almost like what you are saying is a physical impossibility and you're talking out of your ass on top of forgetting about experience reports for even best-case scenarios posted in this very thread not very long ago:
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...rvice-for-everyone.126618/page-4#post-6057599
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...vice-for-everyone.126618/page-18#post-6415749
https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...vice-for-everyone.126618/page-19#post-6416445

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
If you actually think the round trip of sending your Input signal from your keyboard and mouse to a Google server, which then sends your data to a game server, the game server acknowledges your Input, sends data back to the Google server, the Google server encodes Live video of your gameplay and streams it back to you at home only takes 10-20ms you got much larger problems than exaggerating about "Game Streaming" and gotta go in for that Mental Health check exam, retards. If you're talking about a ping to www.google.com that sounds like a likely scenario, not otherwise.
I thought you'd like streaming, you seem to be a fan of failed technical experiments in gaming like VR

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

If you play competitive shooter games on GFNow, then you deserve the bad experience. It is fairly obvious that it is not suitable for competitive games. Thankfully most of the games don't fall into that category.

abija

Prophet
I already said that. Argued with "no noticeable input lag" bullshit. And it's not about competitive, you notice it the instant you turn the camera around.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I already said that. Argued with "no noticeable input lag" bullshit. And it's not about competitive, you notice it the instant you turn the camera around.
What I can say about my own experience, that you can notice it, but it is not something most people can't get used to. I felt something is a bit off when moving the mouse for example, but it's not like you move the mouse and then you have to wait for a second, or even tenth of a second to register.

People are playing games on sub 30 fps which looks more jarring IMO, so a slight input lag can be overcome.

I'm not advocating that this is the perfect gaming experience, but saying that game streaming is dead and will never take off just because of a small input lag is just wrong.

tritosine2k

Erudite
I already said that. Argued with "no noticeable input lag" bullshit. And it's not about competitive, you notice it the instant you try to DRAG the unresponsive camera around.

fixed
I'm not advocating that this is the perfect gaming experience, but saying that game streaming is dead and will never take off just because of a small input lag is just wrong.

asset streaming with local rendering is best of both worlds, and a necessity because draw distances in current "high-end" AAA games are abysmal ,stupefying.

Codex Year of the Donut
Maybe the service just isn't as good in Europe because the companies running this are based in USA and have put more effort into working with US ISPs*?
I honestly can't notice any input lag, I already posted proof that I have extremely low latency. Stadia had noticeable stuttering when the scene changed dramatically(e.g., quick camera movement) likely due to delta-compression keeping it stable in regular scenarios, but the same didn't happen on GeForce Now. Not sure what else I can say.

I'm not shilling for the service, I have no intention of using either of them and I hope streaming games never becomes mainstream. But my experience shattered my belief that it wasn't technically feasible to create a playable experience for anything other than slow/turn-based games.

* - When I have my VPN on and connected to a nearby server, my latency with streaming increases by 4-5x and the delay is definitely noticeable. I suspect there's some sort of ISP peering going on here.

tritosine2k

Erudite
Stuff like this will kill it , especially with TAA off , and they want to dial that back because too much detail is lost:
pierre-afoumado-screenshot00009.jpg

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I tried GeForce Now and had no latency. Way better than I expected. I have not tried Stadia, but given that it's Google - the project is no doubt managed by a team of antifa trannies and worth fuck all. When was the last time Google made anything that wasn't half broken?

Decado

Patron
Codex 2014
I've wanted to try Breakpoint, but I know it was buggy as shit upon release. It is any good?

tritosine2k

Erudite
I've wanted to try Breakpoint, but I know it was buggy as shit upon release. It is any good?

IDK, I just searched some image with "foliage" and remembered Clancy's had some , because that's a notoriously hard case with constant bitrate, eg. grass blades turning into moss and what not (or even creatures like dreaded macroblocking slime ). This stuff shares a lot of drawbacks with TAA/DLSS , and that's one of prime evils now . Cyberpunk turned up sharpening between patches trading one ill for another -now it has horrible frame coherence ( you can disable after 20 min research...) .

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom