Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Google Stadia - "a game streaming service for everyone"

None

Scholar
Google really is just a glorified ad company at this point, aren't they?

Shit studies are shit. Academics write dumb shit as much as anyone else. You can tell the difference between a button and a mouse click and the rest of my points don't even relate to the study.

Here's another study:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX31kZbAXsA

Guess what? It actually tests a fucking video game. Trying to shoot someone running through the double doors on dust2. Turns out 60 FPS is bad even though that's "only" 16ms latency.

X0QiUCP.png

Codex Year of the Donut
Shit studies are shit. Academics write dumb shit as much as anyone else. You can tell the difference between a button and a mouse click and the rest of my points don't even relate to the study.

Here's another study:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX31kZbAXsA

Guess what? It actually tests a fucking video game. Trying to shoot someone running through the double doors on dust2. Turns out 60 FPS is bad even though that's "only" 16ms latency.

X0QiUCP.png
You don't even understand the difference between reaction time and latency

Also, this entire argument is hilarious.
"n-n-no it won't be adopted, .01% of the market won't use it!"
most of the market uses fucking consoles that render at <30 FPS.

You don't even understand the difference between reaction time and latency
Slower frame updates add latency whether its computed on your system or on a foreign server. What are you whining about?

Also, this entire argument is hilarious.
"n-n-no it won't be adopted, .01% of the market won't use it!"
most of the market uses fucking consoles that render at <30 FPS.

I'm sure a bunch of nigger faggots want the market to adopt it to make money, and consoletards won't notice the difference. What's your point? Non-retards can notice the difference, that's mine.

Codex Year of the Donut
Slower frame updates add latency whether its computed on your system or on a foreign server. What are you whining about?
Again, you don't even understand what the study was testing yet you attempted to critique it. You would have known this if you actually read it before you decided to butt in with your enlightened information.

Again, you don't even understand what the study was testing yet you attempted to critique it. You would have known this if you actually read it before you decided to butt in with your enlightened information.
Cool story bro. Wrong, and study is still shit.

Codex Year of the Donut
I'm sorry I was wrong rusty, you can fuck my wife now that I realized what a gigantic retard I am instead of backpedaling more.
I accept your apology but there is no need to cuck yourself like that.

Codex Year of the Donut
"Thin clients" suck for regular office work, why did anyone expect them to work for games?
because they work fine for 99% of situations

funny part of this thread is I know some people on the codex beat bloodborne using the playstation streaming service
It has 14 7 day free trial. I used it to play BB and God of War. Despite service and servers being in london and me being in poland both my stream and picture quality was really great. 14 days is enough to finish BB. Though PSnow doesn't have BB with expansion only base. Latency was barely perceptible.

I'm not sure how much more latency-sensitive you can get than that without entering e-sport territory.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'm confused. I thought latency was NOT wanted and higher FPS was wanted? I hear of players that can tell the difference of resolutions with ease, descipher sound nigh flawlessly, see how latent or unresponsive gamepads/keystrokes/mice are, and how poorly or well online software works via their connection vs software on their hardware.

Fascinating if you are one of those performance autists. Those are the type of people I want detailing issues in all performance so long as they can convey the issues to the rest of us rabble.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
It's official:

https://www.theverge.com/2022/9/29/23378713/google-stadia-shutting-down-game-streaming-january-2023

Google is shutting down Stadia, its cloud gaming service. The service will remain live for players until January 18th, 2023. Google will be refunding all Stadia hardware purchased through the Google Store as well as all the games and add-on content purchased from the Stadia store. Google expects those refunds will be completed in mid-January.

:hmmm:

Does it make GeForce Now the only player left in this field?

Finally, some good gaming news.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I told the morons that it was going to fail and they didn't believe me. So I give a hearty, "Fuck you I was right! Fuck you I was right! Fuck you I was right!" chant to those morons.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Google say they are shutting down Stadia and refunding all payments done through their store.... bit what about ingame purchases?
If I bought a game on Stadia, and paid $20 for microtransactions in the game, these didn't go through Google's Play Store. So they won't be refunded. Yet my account will be terminated, and I will no longer be able to access these goods I purchased. Seems like legal fuckery could go down.

And yes, I know its all licenses, and you don't actually own the sword your character wields. But the license is being terminated by a third party, effectively. The license between me and Ubisoft over that pink gun is being terminated by Google. And apparently Ubisoft only learned about it through the news, same as me. Is this okay, legally?

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Google say they are shutting down Stadia and refunding all payments done through their store.... bit what about ingame purchases?
If I bought a game on Stadia, and paid $20 for microtransactions in the game, these didn't go through Google's Play Store. So they won't be refunded. Yet my account will be terminated, and I will no longer be able to access these goods I purchased. Seems like legal fuckery could go down.

And yes, I know its all licenses, and you don't actually own the sword your character wields. But the license is being terminated by a third party, effectively. The license between me and Ubisoft over that pink gun is being terminated by Google. And apparently Ubisoft only learned about it through the news, same as me. Is this okay, legally?
You already gave them the money. Why would they care if their pink sword stops existing!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'm surprised they are refunding anything. Looks like thy're being bitches and folding up. Might be very much shit but they offered it and now folding shop? I thought google was constamtly making gains like FB no matter what shit blew their way. Fucking pussies.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom