Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic remake from THQ Nordic

Honestly modders did a way better work with graphics

CWY4-33U8AAkhSK.png

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
They already stated that the combat we saw won't be in the game. It won't be exactly like the original, but it won't be anything like the demo. There's no way it can be worse than the demo. The explosion bullshit won't be in the final game. They are going so far as to use the original recordings of all the dialogue so I don't think they'll be changing anything in the story. I don't think they've said anything about the dialogue wheels but I personally doubt they will be in, especially if the dialogue isn't changing.

The point is. Gothic is all about freedom and immersion. This devs thinks that Gothic is just a generic action console game. No amount of feedback can change the design philosophy of a studio.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
They always do. Remember when Abrams said he was a big Star Wars fan? I am amazed by how people constantly keep falling for the same marketing tricks.

Yep. Gothic fans would never see Gothic 1 and think "you know what a Gothic remake really needs? Dialog wheels, handholding, low lethality, consequenceless explosions on the trade exchange zone and for honor combat"

It is pretty sad how old games when upscaled look better than most new games. While the new games look the same shitty way even if in 20k resolution.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
They always do. Remember when Abrams said he was a big Star Wars fan? I am amazed by how people constantly keep falling for the same marketing tricks.

Yep. Gothic fans would never see Gothic 1 and think "you know what a Gothic remake really needs? Dialog wheels, handholding, low lethality, consequenceless explosions on the trade exchange zone and for honor combat"

It is pretty sad how old games when upscaled look better than most new games. While the new games look the same shitty way even if in 20k resolution.

I believe that it is truth for the RPG genre. But not so much for other games. For example, BF5 looks gorgeous. Warthudner too. Project CARS too. The unique problem of bf5 is the femlae afrocybernazis, but the game looks gorgeous non the less. With RPG's, modern RPG devs don't attempt more to make the game mechanics and game visuals in line with the fantasy that they are trying to convey. For example, compare to armor on Diablo 2 with the carnavalesuqe "armor" of Diablo 3. Creedfall has way amazing armor design cuz it is not "carnavalesque". Armor looks like armor in that game.

And the armor on the remake?

GothicRemake13.jpg

source https://thenocturnalrambler.blogspot.com/2019/12/gothic-remake-playable-teaser-feedback.html

Looks AWFUL. A armor doesn't need to look historically accurate to be cool. Dark Souls 2 Faraam set is amazing and non historical accurate https://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Faraam+Set

Derringer

Prophet
UE4 is an ugly turd of an engine with lighting worse than engines made before it, even pre-baked shit.

It still looks like shit. Their fancy engine ruins the atmosphere because it isn't able to reproduce the style. Modders have demonstrated how you can squeeze out every last bit of the old engine, make it look more "modern" but still keep the original distinct aesthetic style. And the "quality of life enhancements" to make the game "more accessible" will ruin the experience. Gothic was all about the feeling of being thrown into a den of murderes and thieves and about surviving there. There was not the slightest handholding, the welcoming present was a fist in your face and nobody cared for you at all. A fucking tutorial completely ruins that experience. To die often was also part of the experience because the colony is supposed to be a murderous hellhole. And now: slow, easier, accessibe combats... I really wonder what the creators of the original game think about this pile of shit.

typical user

Arbiter
As far as I know the developers who released remake demo stated they were working on a different game before the publisher forced them to relabel it as Gothic.

They said they will throw away everything and start from scratch because the player feedback was "we want a remake with better controls and more content but not this". Almost everyhing they have shown was wrong, from graphic design, UX, gameplay systems to even story-telling.

Israfael

Arcane
I press X to doubt anything will change, it's not that the bulk of modern "gamers" even remembers what Gothic is (and if they do, they know that it's an old jankware game made by the devs of Risen 2/3)

mkultra

Augur
I press X to doubt anything will change, it's not that the bulk of modern "gamers" even remembers what Gothic is (and if they do, they know that it's an old jankware game made by the devs of Risen 2/3)

I think it will. Gothic games has a large fan base, if they get it right it can sell well enough and that's the idea, not to appeal to the masses like the failed Gothic 4.

Do i think everyone will be happy, no, but not exactly 100% of PB fanbase were happy with ELEX either, even if i think they really nailed almost everything in that game.
THQ Nordic (publisher) do seem to get things right, take Desperados 3 for example. If they are really smart they make the game mod friendly and the community can work
out what they don't like..

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I an only praying to Beliar that they will not remove the original Gothic from steam/gog. Nobody deserves this remake. I would't recommend it even for my worst enemy. Is worse than arcania cuz "This game wouldn't be worth your money even if it shipped with booze and hookers. Yes, it's that bad." source
Bro I hated that demo as much as you if not more but the final game probably won't have anything in common with it. It's way too early to be saying stuff like this

Guys who think that low lethality "get bite by a wolf 3x in the neck" is great and that dialog wheels is great

this is so unfair you guise don't you know the devs said they're the biggest fans of the original gothic

"We are the greatest fans of the originals! Trust us, when it comes to Gothic you won't find anybody who would do it better. We love every inch of the original games. (We just haven't ever played them)"

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I an only praying to Beliar that they will not remove the original Gothic from steam/gog. Nobody deserves this remake. I would't recommend it even for my worst enemy. Is worse than arcania cuz "This game wouldn't be worth your money even if it shipped with booze and hookers. Yes, it's that bad." source
Bro I hated that demo as much as you if not more but the final game probably won't have anything in common with it. It's way too early to be saying stuff like this

Guys who think that low lethality "get bite by a wolf 3x in the neck" is great and that dialog wheels is great

this is so unfair you guise don't you know the devs said they're the biggest fans of the original gothic

Alex Kurtzman is the greatest Star Trek fan you know.

Harthwain

Magister
There have always been niggers in Gothic.
Truth to be told - the current climate is such that it's very easy to see an agenda even if there is none. It's sad how gaming as a hobby got poisoned by pointless politics (in no small part thanks to gaming media trying to force their point of view on developers and publishers) rather than being focused on letting games to be games and making them fun. I often look back at games made in the past and think "that would be considered woke had it been released today" and I had no such thoughts playing these games back then.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
There have always been niggers in Gothic.
Truth to be told - the current climate is such that it's very easy to see an agenda even if there is none. It's sad how gaming as a hobby got poisoned by pointless politics (in no small part thanks to gaming media trying to force their point of view on developers and publishers) rather than being focused on letting games to be games and making them fun. I often look back at games made in the past and think "that would be considered woke had it been released today" and I had no such thoughts playing these games back then.
Mostly agree but there's a difference. 20 years ago there was a dindu in Gothic and...that was it. Nobody thought much of it because there wasn't much to think about. Thorus or Saturas happened to be black so incidentally anyone barely noticed.

If Gothic was made today by a Californian developer they would make sure EVERYONE NOTICES. There'd be a sidequest where a bunch of Old Camp raysis would plan to whack Thorus for being black and you'd have to stop them. No, not a side quest. A main quest. The entire game would be about that.

Cpt. Dallas

Learned
If Gothic was made today by a Californian developer they would make sure EVERYONE NOTICES. There'd be a sidequest where a bunch of Old Camp raysis would plan to whack Thorus for being black and you'd have to stop them. No, not a side quest. A main quest. The entire game would be about that.

You forgot the stronk barbarian wahman, a mandatory companion, more annoying than Mud, and her quest to free Gomez's sex slaves, er empowered sex workers. (who were noticeably absent in the remake's intro movie)

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

You forgot the stronk barbarian wahman, a mandatory companion, more annoying than Mud, and her quest to free Gomez's sex slaves, er empowered sex workers. (who were noticeably absent in the remake's intro movie)

Not only that. Xardas will probably teach dark magic to the woman sex slaves and the womans will learn circle 6 faster than anyone else. And be the first one to discover the 7th circle of magic while the misogynistic fire mages tries to burn then at the stake and Innos will be revelated to be a woman and will punishes the fire magicians for his misogyny and Beliar will gonna be the bad guy because he believes on gender roles. Saturas will not be a great archmage of water who happens to be black. He would have a long woke story and the game will be about how fire mages are fascists and how the fascism corrupted Innos teachings, how the blacks send to the penal colony was victims of systemic racism and Bezi(nameless hero) would be black too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom