Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic remake from THQ Nordic

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Before we can trust you, you'll first need to pass the TEST OF FAITH. Can you handle that?

Prepare yourself for a visit in the Old Mine, a dangerous place full of vicious creatures. Descend to the bottom and find Ian - he's your man. Tell him that Diego sent you. If you come back alive with the supplies list, we can talk about you joining us.

That's all you need to know... for now. Oh, and before you leave, ask Graham for a map. What are you waiting for? Get going!

Gothic 1 Remake is coming to PC, PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S.

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
The mine is basically 1:1 with the original design compared to what I remember from replaying it earlier this year, so... that's good?

ferratilis

Magister
That trailer means absolutely nothing until we see the combat. The fact it looks more polished and with better voice actors already removes a lot of the charm that the original had.

Sykar

Arcane
That trailer means absolutely nothing until we see the combat. The fact it looks more polished and with better voice actors already removes a lot of the charm that the original had.
I loved the German voice acting!
"Jetzt geht's zur Sache"
"Ich glaub, ich hau dir mal aufs Maul. Das ist genau das was du brauchst!"
"Für den Anfang reicht erstmal ein ordentlicher Schluck Bier."

Salvo

Arcane
I'm not against a remake per-se, the trailer already delivers much more than the old demo on the atmosphere

Ravielsk

Magister
Did anybody even ask for this? Make Gothic 4 and make it good instead.
They cannot. Modern industry will not even attempt to make a game unless you can prove it is guaranteed to sell several millions and Gothic simply due to its age cannot guarantee anything close to it. So they make remakes as a way of gauging the public interest in the particular IP.
It always makes me worried when the devs are showing everything but the gameplay. In game development the gameplay loop should be the first thing you create even if its only in a greybox because that is the thing that decides how you make everything else. Flexing with one(for all we know pre-rendered) environment does not inspire any kind of confidence, not to mention it leaves nothing to actually propagate the game on social media because there is nothing to even discuss about it(as is evident from this thread). Even if the gameplay is not on point its better to get the feedback on it now and fix it before release than hide it until a week before launch and then despair how you cannot afford to fix it because it would cost too much.

I remain somewhat optimistic but this smells of a fuck up in the making.

notpl

Arbiter
https://mobile.twitter.com/AlkimiaGameDev/status/1562356833033003008
Apparently, they now also got Kai Rosenkranz on board of the remake's production.

At least soundtrack will be worth downloading. Cheers!
Kai wasn't just the composer for gothic 1, he was a designer on several elements. Piranha Bytes was barely a dozen people when they made Gothic 1, involvement from any of them is a hopeful news. I mean, look at the games PB has been putting out since he (and many others) left.

Fargus

Arcane
https://mobile.twitter.com/AlkimiaGameDev/status/1562356833033003008
Apparently, they now also got Kai Rosenkranz on board of the remake's production.

At least soundtrack will be worth downloading. Cheers!
Kai wasn't just the composer for gothic 1, he was a designer on several elements. Piranha Bytes was barely a dozen people when they made Gothic 1, involvement from any of them is a hopeful news. I mean, look at the games PB has been putting out since he (and many others) left.
He is one of my favorite composers and i'm not surprised he is all around talented guy and done some other work on the game. Of course i'm not sure what the remake will be and i don't really care, teaser was enough to repulse me.

But if Kai writes music for it i might even buy soundtrack on steam separately.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
If by teaser you mean that vertical slice that was so bad it made me join the codex, I wouldn't judge anything based on that. Nothing from that is being used as far as I know.

Fargus

Arcane
I'm a crusty old gothic fanboy and i doubt they can possible remake it in a way that would satisfy me. Personally i dont think it needs a remake. A remaster would be welcome though.

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm a crusty old gothic fanboy and i doubt they can't possible remake it in a way that would satisfy me. Personally i dont think it needs a remake. A remaster would be welcome though.
All I want in the original games is for the hero's ponytail to not look like someone stuck a wooden plug in his head. That's it. That's all I want.

Fargus

Arcane
I'm a crusty old gothic fanboy and i doubt they can't possible remake it in a way that would satisfy me. Personally i dont think it needs a remake. A remaster would be welcome though.
All I want in the original games is for the hero's ponytail to not look like someone stuck a wooden plug in his head. That's it. That's all I want.
There should be a mod for hq face models somewhere, but i never used it. I play gothic in mostly vanilla state with some bugfixes and different head for nameless hero.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Huge infodump (interview with Kai Rosenkranz)

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldofgot...i_rosenkranz_giving_details_about_the_remake/

At the beginning of the development it was stated, that Alkimia thought about reusing the old voice lines instead of voicing the game all over again. Has something changed in that regard?
Kai: Yeah, Reinhard stated today that we'll most likely be recording new voice overs, but with the original voice talents (where possible). Keep in mind that the actors are now 20+ years older - some even sadly passed away -, so there may have to be some recasts.
I imagine it'll be a mix of different approaches. Mostly re-recording of the original actors, some of the original audio files remastered, and some new voices.

Is the map going to be expanded?
Kai: The world will mostly be the same as in the original. There were some places that fell short of their potential in the original game, so we can easily expand those without changing the map. Also, some areas will be scaled up just a little. That's necessary for the increased visual detail to have enough "room". There may also be some new small places here and there, the rest will be pretty true to the original.
Definitely pretty authentic remakes of the originals. I've seen some new ones today.
Don't let the teaser mislead you in this regard. The original shapes, color palette and silhouette will be very similar, but what's new is the variations within certain armor levels (i.e. shadows, templars, etc.). Since there was no mass production, each piece will look a lil different. Some will be missing a part or have a handmade substitute, and things like that. But they'll still be recognizable.

What was up with the Orc models in the trailer?
Kai: I think the problem was also the pose, not just the model. They looked too upright because they stretched up to reach the wheel handle. So they missed their typical silhouette, which was more... ducked? But it's still WoP and actually to early for a trailer. We just had to include them otherwise the mine would miss something important.

What about abandoned mine and orcs city ?
Kai: Good question. We shall see.

And what about the design docs that Phoenix Tales found? The cut-content of the alphas?
Kai: Stuff like that is super interesting and super relevant for us. Any "loose ends" and unfinished pieces in the original are exactly what we need to integrate new content properly.

Anything to say about the mine?
Kai: The mine itself (layout, model, materials) is pretty final except some lighting choices, everything else (especially "living" things): still work in progress. Also, the mine as shown in the teaser is in a state before the actual game (gate open, some NPCs missing), so there are some changes because of that.

I assume there will be an attempt to finish a lot of stuff as well, like fleshing out the bandit camp not far away from the troll guarding the focus stone or the rogues in the cave that were doing something with alchemy stuff?
Kai: Exactly!

Will the Soundtrack be released as part of a deluxe edition or separately? and is there any chance the previous game's Soundtrack will get released?
Kai: That's too far away in the future and not decided yet. But I hope the soundtrack will be made available one way or another.

Did you do OST to Gothic Playable Teaser?
Kai: No, I came on board after the teaser. But I thought the music was very atmospheric.

Will we hear new tracks in remake?
Kai: Hell yeah

Kai, what about acrholos?
Kai: I played it and I loved it.. Happy to say we have one key team member of Chronicles of Myrtana on board.

What about old, unreleased tracks from the days of G1? Will they be included this time?
Kai: Not sure. Should they?

Will the music be recorded in a live orchestral environment for the game?
Kai: I was planning to record some tracks/ elements with a live orchestra, but many people claim that the artificial sound is part of Gothic's musical identity. If that's the case, I can save that money and put it into some more tracks instead.

So waiting to hear reworked old camp theme. It's best one in gothic 1 i guess
Kai: I extended it to about 7 minutes. Lots of nice old camp flair.

Salvo

Arcane
They hired an Archolos modder lets gooooo

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom