Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Gothic Remake Gameplay Trailer

jaekl

CHUD LIFE
Patron
MAKE YOUR OWN GAME, YOU LAZY FUCKERS!!

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Things are going in the right direction regarding the art style. Realistic enough, not overly saturated, and the dark interiors are great. I love the atmosphere already, I hope they won't screw it up.

They seemed to recreate that dangerous dark forest at night feel very well. That is essential.

The original soundtrack of Kai Rosenkrantz is used in the trailer which I massively approve of. He's a great composer with a unique style, I love all his game sountracks. Instantly recognisable and his music was very important for establishing the tone of the game. I do hope they will either keep the entire original soundtrack, or only make very conservative adjustments to it. There are very few other composers like him (Adam Skorupa and Paweł Błaszczak who did the Witcher 1 OST come close, though).

I'm excited for this and will definitely play it. Seems like a worthy remake/reimagining!

Lexx

Cipher
They need to show how they improved uppon what we saw in that terrible demo. Graphics don't mean much as long as that shit isn't changed.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
They need to show how they improved uppon what we saw in that terrible demo. Graphics don't mean much as long as that shit isn't changed.
Sure, but graphics are important, and that seems to be on the right path at least. So I'm cautiously optimistic. Never played the demo myself.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
they dropped the women into the Zone along with the other supplies.
Old Camp Barons are in control of the largest mine in the valley so they get whatever they want including ocasional cocksleeve or two.

Already then I was wondering - in the long run, wouldn't this whole land turn into, first, a village cut off from the world, and then an incestland (Few women plus their concentration in the hands of the strongest males equals a small gene pool)?

I'm not slavic enough to like a game with broken controls, but do they still have this ipainting with naked girls?
It plays fine with a gamepad. The first game especially. Also ok with just the keyboard, without touching the mouse.

I thought playing Gothic with a pad was unkosher.

Fargus

Arcane
Already then I was wondering - in the long run, wouldn't this whole land turn into, first, a village cut off from the world, and then an incestland (Few women plus their concentration in the hands of the strongest males equals a small gene pool)?

Storywise this place wouldn't even exist in the long run. But it's a prison colony first and foremost. They are not sent there to procreate but to dig ore. King just sends more retards to replace dead ones because the ore must flow.

Only local Pablo Escobar can afford to have female sex slaves.

Thalstarion

Novice
I really just want upgraded visuals. That's it. The tone, aesthetics and grit absolutely need to be preserved. No sanitisation or watering down of bad things happening as part of the original world-building.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
I have good hope about this remake, given the wooden feel of some animations, kek.

But in reality I expect decent (and hope for), but not perfect game with some new things in it it and filling the void of chapters 3-5, because let's be honest, that was usual problem with Gothic games. Start always felt the best, with all the stuff to explore and challenges.

About atmosphere I believe that they will be able to preserve it and keep it up - there is very specific feel to Gothic and it shouldn't be that hard. I hope for much more stuff to do in gameworld itself.

As for mechanics... It will be hard to beat Gothic 2 mechanics, especially with different animations for weapons based on your PC's skill level and so on and it gives me the most of thought. Magic, at least, looks fun.

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I felt a sense of dread when the trailer mentioned "expanded crafting options".
I mean given the fact only thing you could craft in Gothic was UNFINISHED SWORD via smithy, the fact of "expanded crafting" can mean anything. :lol:
Oh, that's right. I was thinking about Gothic 2. Maybe they are just porting the more advanced smithing options from Gothic 2 into the remake. That could be fun.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I have good hope about this remake, given the wooden feel of some animations, kek.
I noticed that, but I'm one of those people who don't mind games to look like games. I don't need much better animations like this to enjoy a game. I think the models are otherwise very nice -- no kiddie aesthetics and rainbow colour palette in sight.

In complete agreement with the rest of your assessment.

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
It *is* a village cut off from the land. It's a penal colony, so they just need to top up the numbers with more convicts if their numbers diminish. It's a male prison; you're not there to have fun or procreate but to work in the mines for the king as punishment.

It's all about survival -- that's the premise of the game. You're a nobody trying to stay alive and make the best of a shit situation.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
It *is* a village cut off from the land. It's a penal colony, so they just need to top up the numbers with more convicts if their numbers diminish. It's a male prison; you're not there to have fun or procreate but to work in the mines for the king as punishment.

It's all about survival -- that's the premise of the game. You're a nobody trying to stay alive and make the best of a shit situation.

Assuming that the supply of prisoners would be preserved. Which is not obvious with an orc invasion.

However, even if this were the case, over time there would be a division between those born in the colony and the new ones, and the new ones would often suffer from the genetic diseases I mentioned.

Perhaps there would even be constant breakdowns in power, because new prisoners would always be better than those born locally.

La vie sexuelle

Learned

Only local Pablo Escobar can afford to have female sex slaves.

We need Tropico with sex slaves!

Vulpes

Scholar
Why would Gomez Jr. bang his sister when his dad can get him a mail-order bride?

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Why would Gomez Jr. bang his sister when his dad can get him a mail-order bride?
I always thought there were very few of these women, especially compared to men. Even if Gomez Jr. has a wife brought in, his sisters will be the wives of other prisoners, perhaps even several of them, which is the reason for narrowing the gene pool. Think about Pakistan.

Perhaps only planned and rational genetic policy would help here, but I wouldn't expect it from a prisoner.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom