Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition - GTA 3 trilogy remaster

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
The rain effect in these remasters is the worst I’ve seen in any video game ever and that’s just the icing on the shit cake. Levels of incompetence that shouldn’t even be possible.

ferratilis

Magister
the-office-michael-scott-main.jpg

https://screenrant.com/cyberpunk-2077-take-two-criticized-unpolished-bugs-glitches/amp/
Cyberpunk 2077's Unpolished Release Criticized By Take-Two Owner
Cyberpunk 2077's disastrous launch has led to Take-Two CEO and Rockstar Games owner Strauss Zelnick to respond, noting games shouldn't be rushed.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
You can still purchase keys for Vice City on Kinguin and have them work on the RockShit launcher. I picked up a copy of Vice City for $7 from there just to ensure I have access to it.

toughasnails

Take-Two and Rockstar's attitude is p weird in all honesty. So much money and work is initially pumped into these games' development, they achieve such success and become p much bona fide pop-culture items, and yet they don't appear to give a fuck what is done with them once the development is done and they pass to the next thing. Every new port of these games was worse than the last, culminating in this. They don't seem to care what the team porting them does, what is cut and changed, as long as it runs and can be sold.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
I don't get how these companies operate to be honest. They just shit all over their biggest and most important franchises that hold their entire companies afloat. They're not struggling financially so just give them the time they need.

It's like with actiblizz, they gave all that love to dead properties like crash, spyro and even tony hawk for fucks sake. But let Diablo 3, Warcraft III (and now wow) get thrown out there to die?

My only guess is that there's some bizarre corporate backstabbing involved. A way for these bigwigs to poison the well between shareholders and these larger, semi independent developers as a way of gaining even more control. I mean look at blizzard now, they're completely subservient to Kotick and at his mercy.

Probably something similar here, didn't one of the Houser brothers leave a while back?

Endemic

Arcane
Take-Two and Rockstar's attitude is p weird in all honesty. So much money and work is initially pumped into these games' development, they achieve such success and become p much bona fide pop-culture items, and yet they don't appear to give a fuck what is done with them once the development is done and they pass to the next thing. Every new port of these games was worse than the last, culminating in this. They don't seem to care what the team porting them does, what is cut and changed, as long as it runs and can be sold.

They make too much money from GTA Online/RDR/sports franchises to care, I guess.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
They're too big to fail. Just call up your local representative and ask for a bailout if you're facing bankruptcy. You thought corporations have to provide services or products that people want in order to stay afloat?

Ghulgothas

Arcane
There will never be another Grand Theft Auto release of note or quality as long as GTA Online keeps providing them all their revenue. RDR online doesn't even come close to the earnings GTA online rakes in.

mogwaimon

Magister
I don't get how these companies operate to be honest. They just shit all over their biggest and most important franchises that hold their entire companies afloat. They're not struggling financially so just give them the time they need.

It's like with actiblizz, they gave all that love to dead properties like crash, spyro and even tony hawk for fucks sake. But let Diablo 3, Warcraft III (and now wow) get thrown out there to die?

My only guess is that there's some bizarre corporate backstabbing involved. A way for these bigwigs to poison the well between shareholders and these larger, semi independent developers as a way of gaining even more control. I mean look at blizzard now, they're completely subservient to Kotick and at his mercy.

Probably something similar here, didn't one of the Houser brothers leave a while back?

yea it was Dan Houser, I think, that left to form his own company shortly after RDR2. Sam Houser is still one of the presidents at Rockstar though.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Imagine the kind of remasters we could be getting if publishers put in the kind of effort that fucking EA of all things did with C&C Remastered. Instead we get billion dollar companies like Rockstar/Take2 shitting out this with little to no care put into the product.

Speaking of, what is the actual definitive way to play GTA3/VC/SA these days? The old versions on Steam? Any mods that add in cut content and cut music?

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Imagine the kind of remasters we could be getting if publishers put in the kind of effort that fucking EA of all things did with C&C Remastered. Instead we get billion dollar companies like Rockstar/Take2 shitting out this with little to no care put into the product.

Speaking of, what is the actual definitive way to play GTA3/VC/SA these days? The old versions on Steam? Any mods that add in cut content and cut music?
Steam Version, with the corresponding true Definitive Edition Project patch. All of which are made and maintained by people who actually give a shit.
https://www.definitive-edition-project.com/

III , Vice City, San Andreas.

They've also got patches for the Stories games, as well as Chinatown Wars. By far the simplest way to fix-up all the old GTA games on PC.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
This definitely isn't ready but something worth putting on your radar. Haven't touched it but I've heard good things about https://openrw.org/ for GTA3 if you're willing to compile it.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
They've also got patches for the Stories games
That's another thing. What the hell is preventing an official port of the Stories games to PC? If they included something like that in this "Definitive Edition" then at least they'd be doing something new that is worth having outwith emulating the PSP/PS2 versions of them. To this day I've never played Vice City Stories, and I've played Liberty City Stories on my PS2 ages ago and that's it. I should probably emulate VCS with this fan patch thing you linked.

Ravielsk

Magister
That's another thing. What the hell is preventing an official port of the Stories games to PC?

Probably a mixture of laziness and IP bullshit. I read somewhere that rockstar/take two do not fully own the rights to the stories games due to how they were produced. So they would need to strike up a deal and accept ever so slightly lower profit margins which in this day and age is simply not an option.

ferratilis

Magister
When they stop earning 2.5 mil a day from GTA Online, they'll maybe think about bringing those games to PC. Maybe.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom