Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition - GTA 3 trilogy remaster

Zeem

Learned
About the mods... These types of mods has always existed for GTA, some team convert the map to the newest engine, they show a video, fans are in awe, they get their 15 minutes of fame on gaming sites, they might earn some good cash via Patreon etc.

But that's as far as these mods go because you also have to recreate everything else and that's easily 8-10 years of work for a small team, converting the map is the easy part. A team that also will have key people leaving (because life) and usually that's how it just dies eventually. I've seen hundreds of these mod projects for various games and i've been a part of a few too (including one for GTA).

Not saying R* is right to take them down, i despise them and will never support them, but you probably shouldn't hold your breath for any of these mods to ever come out either.
One of these mods did get a full release - namely porting GTA 3 to Vice CIty's engine. It was called GTA: Liberty City IIRC.

mkultra

Augur
About the mods... These types of mods has always existed for GTA, some team convert the map to the newest engine, they show a video, fans are in awe, they get their 15 minutes of fame on gaming sites, they might earn some good cash via Patreon etc.

But that's as far as these mods go because you also have to recreate everything else and that's easily 8-10 years of work for a small team, converting the map is the easy part. A team that also will have key people leaving (because life) and usually that's how it just dies eventually. I've seen hundreds of these mod projects for various games and i've been a part of a few too (including one for GTA).

Not saying R* is right to take them down, i despise them and will never support them, but you probably shouldn't hold your breath for any of these mods to ever come out either.
One of these mods did get a full release - namely porting GTA 3 to Vice CIty's engine. It was called GTA: Liberty City IIRC.

You're probably right about that, been so long since i was in the modding community for these games. Might have been an easy transfer because of the engines used..

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
All I know is there's a raging debate which woman at the studio is better; Doomer Artist or Hipster Marketer.

chose-your-fate.jpg

Alphons

Cipher
This was a lazy pump and dump by Rockstar, but if you actually got baited into preordering/ buying, then you're a grade A retard.

Flashy trailer loaded with nostalgia and no actual gameplay 3 weeks before release, OGs removed from every store, modders sent C&D, developers responsible being some nonames that already fucked up previous remakes (10th anniversary edition) instead of one of Rockstar's studios, gifs and images instead of actual footage plus no actual information beyond buzz words like "improved gameplay".

Riskbreaker

Looking forward to seeing what the (delayed) "professional" reviews will look like. The trend that I've seen in some articles about this launch (not all of them, Kotaku of all places lambasted RS both for the quality of this remaster and for their treatment of the modding community) is talking about "fan outrage" and "player claims' from a distance, the article's writer saying nothing about their or their colleagues' experience with the game.

Alphons

Cipher
Looking forward to seeing what the (delayed) "professional" reviews will look like. The trend that I've seen in some articles about this launch (not all of them, Kotaku of all places lambasted RS both for the quality of this remaster and for their treatment of the modding community) is talking about "fan outrage" and "player claims' from a distance, the article's writer saying nothing about their or their colleagues' experience with the game.

PCGam*r

IMG-20211113-183652.jpg

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

He makes a good point about all three games looking the same. I never played 3 before but somehow the blue tint filter always stuck in my mind. When your game makes such a strong visual impression, you don't really need all the fancy technical stuffs to hide the flaws.

ferratilis

Magister
ferratilis What exactly does that mean?

re3/reVC was the popular reverse-engineered open source engine that not only brought GTA 3 and VC to homebrew Switch and Vita versions, provided much better performance on PC and Linux, but also fixed bugs that existed since launch, namely the notorious 30 fps tick rate bug, and some others. Thanks to this project, the original version runs much better on homebrew Switch, for example, compared to Definitive edition.

However, Take-Two sued the guys behind the project and issued a take-down notice. If they really used re3 for Definitive edition, this is the scummiest move a gaming company has ever made.

Jigby

Augur
I sincerely doubt that they are using that :) Still, what a shitshow

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom