Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition - GTA 3 trilogy remaster

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
You can still pirate the original games in all their glory right?
I have the original on DVD for PC - the Steam version had music removed, but no bugs fixed. I think I paid $4.99 for it at Target about 10 years ago, but you can also buy the same game < $10 on eBay. I'd encourage picking up a physical copy and avoiding the drama.

ferratilis

Magister
Also, check out Eneba. You can pick up the original Steam releases for around 5 bucks each.

SpellSword

Novice
Sem_titulo.png

Is that the actual in-game footage? That's terrible!

I was wondering how Rockstar can not be embarassed to their core about how bad this remaster is but then I remembered every other re-release of every GTA game past their original release on PS2 has been filled with bugs, glitches and broken visuals so they must just really not give a fuck about their legacy at all. The PS3 & Xbox 360 re-releases of III/VC/SA are all pure garbage and everyone has known this for a while.

My conclusion is that they neither care about any form of legacy or even how their current release will effect future sales.

Many developers appear to view their customer base as hungry pigs and their latest release is simply more slop for the trough.

The question on whether people will continue to eat what they've put in front of them doesn't seem to cross their minds.

I see no personal pride in many modern titles that are released as part of a long running series.

It all boils down to a lack of respect though.

A lack of self respect for those building it.

A lack of respect to those buying it.

A lack of respect for the previous works.

And of all the companies currently creating games Rockstar should know:
99159-grand-theft-auto-2-playstation-back-cover.jpg

ADL

Prophet
Also, check out Eneba. You can pick up the original Steam releases for around 5 bucks each.
If you wanna get rich buy a couple hundred of those CD keys and sell them when they're out of circulation. I did that for the Deadpool game and flipped $5 keys for $102 a piece on G2A. It's gone up since then. Unbelievable how much people will pay for delisted Steam games. OG Mafia was going for insane amounts of money when that was delisted too. Capeshitters paid for my last couple years of games.
https://www.g2a.com/en-us/deadpool-steam-key-global-i10000006276005

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hilarious thread guys, keep posting those pics. Can't believe what I'm seeing here, and everything surrounding it makes the whole thing extremely bizarre, like it's some kind of weird meta joke. Can only guess David Lynch made this remaster.

Curratum

A friend told me this was originally intended to release as a "remaster" on mobile devices, but since it was running on UE4 anyway, they decided to release it on PC too.

Not sure if true, someone less lazy can fact-check it. Still, absolutely hilarious thread! :D

Holy fuck, can you imagine what they're going to do with Red Dead Redemption remaster? :lol:

At least it's a good reminder for me to play, what appears to be the real Definitive edition of GTA:SA, the PS2 version.

ADL

Prophet
At least it's a good reminder for me to play, what appears to be the real Definitive edition of GTA:SA, the PS2 version.

Let's be real here. The old games are very irritating to play now. It was in dire need of a major upgrade, esp controls and shooting among other few annoying stuff that even mods can't address untill there's a complete overhaul in a modern engine.

That's what this remaster does!

I understand all the anger as expected with every R* game but putting aside all the criticism about poor launches then the main game is certainly worth picking up (at least, SA) once all the bugs and technical issues get fixed, and modders come up with all the goodies that makes it even better than their older versions.
But they won't because they're being cunts towards modders and why would you spend time improving a broken, incomplete remaster when you know that it's just a matter of time until they're sending private investigators to your home?
"So I just got a pair of PIs at my door claiming to be sent by Take Two, handing me a phone with a person somewhere in the UK or US or whatever to 'discuss how to cease my activities with regard to Grand Theft Auto', that 'they know what happened before with Activision and want to not get the lawyers involved at this time', however they 'have tested their legal standing already and are quite certain of their point' and 'aren't willing to accept any solution other than ceasing my activities'.
https://www.pcgamer.com/take-two-reportedly-sent-private-investigators-to-modders-home/
Fuck that shit man. If you insist on modding, put your effort towards something that doesn't have someone attacking passion projects exactly like yours every six months. Fixing this broken remaster and porting over work done previously in the RenderWare engine and getting it to an acceptable state is probably harder than making your own game. No wonder modding is such an obscure thing when anyone with half a brain can download Unity/Unreal/CryEngine or even GODOT and make their own thing and sell it.

The only way I would ever feel comfortable spending my time modding a Rockstar game going forward is if I lived somewhere with a government that would wipe their ass with a legal request from the UK or the USA which is practically nowhere these days so things ain't gonna change until someone with a whole lotta patience, a whole lotta money and nothing to lose stands up to their harassment and sets the precedent that tells these assholes to fuck off in the way that Bleem v Sony allowed emulation to go undisputed.

mkultra

Augur
Is this why there hasn't been a Cyberpunk expansion a year later?

Correct. CDPR gave Rockstar's korean team the job to continue CP but all they've been doing is spending a year on this crap. We can only hope this was kind of a learning tool for them and that their continuation of CP will be their master work.

Alphons

Cipher
But they didn't improve anything.

Your "improved" shooting

Oh wow, you have to aim before the crosshair appears! And there's an outline when you aim at someone!

Driving is the same, graphics are a downgrade, old bugs are still present along with a bunch of new ones, a whole bunch of radio songs got cut.

But hey, modders that were sent C&D by Rockstar's legal team MIGHT improve it in the future!

Last edited:

Lizard

Learned
Is this why there hasn't been a Cyberpunk expansion a year later?

Correct. CDPR gave Rockstar's korean team the job to continue CP but all they've been doing is spending a year on this crap. We can only hope this was kind of a learning tool for them and that their continuation of CP will be their master work.
63e99645c92a3e0b025f137b23c814218576e4eb4e47f56441844d531abb64a6.jpg

1996b58c9ef5a0d477d9d35fe780f1ab0a95172bb9902c0d2b822a4894dcca6f.png

Ah, yes very Korean.

Last edited:

Azdul

Magister
The only way I would ever feel comfortable spending my time modding a Rockstar game going forward is if I lived somewhere with a government that would wipe their ass with a legal request from the UK or the USA which is practically nowhere these days so things ain't gonna change until someone with a whole lotta patience, a whole lotta money and nothing to lose stands up to their harassment and sets the precedent that tells these assholes to fuck off in the way that Bleem v Sony allowed emulation to go undisputed.
Even if you're on the right side of law - you would have to defend your case in court against mega-corporation with huge legal team, just like guys from RE3 project will have to do.

At this point it's probably better to publish the mod anonymously on P2P - as Take 2 will be after you anyway. You may as well add features that people want - like restoring removed music tracks, adding ability to play offline, or removing the need to purchase the game.

ferratilis

Magister
If you wanna get rich buy a couple hundred of those CD keys and sell them when they're out of circulation. I did that for the Deadpool game and flipped $5 keys for $102 a piece on G2A. It's gone up since then. Unbelievable how much people will pay for delisted Steam games. OG Mafia was going for insane amounts of money when that was delisted too. Capeshitters paid for my last couple years of games.
https://www.g2a.com/en-us/deadpool-steam-key-global-i10000006276005
Not a bad idea. I recently wanted to buy Duke Nukem Manhattan Project and was shocked by the price. There's probably someone out there who will pay this price.
mWUCbSb.png

mkultra

Augur
About the mods... These types of mods has always existed for GTA, some team convert the map to the newest engine, they show a video, fans are in awe, they get their 15 minutes of fame on gaming sites, they might earn some good cash via Patreon etc.

But that's as far as these mods go because you also have to recreate everything else and that's easily 8-10 years of work for a small team, converting the map is the easy part. A team that also will have key people leaving (because life) and usually that's how it just dies eventually. I've seen hundreds of these mod projects for various games and i've been a part of a few too (including one for GTA).

Not saying R* is right to take them down, i despise them and will never support them, but you probably shouldn't hold your breath for any of these mods to ever come out either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom