Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Grand Theft Auto VI - PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X/S (Fall 2025)

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
GTA IV driving was the best, so were the cops and the wanted-star system. Sadly, the game is unplayed because the story/writing sucks ass.

GTA V not only has story/writing but the gameplay itself is dumbed-down. Complete failure.

dsndo

Educated
GTA driving physics have always matched the tone of the narrative and were designed with the map and its roads in mind. GTAIV cars were relatively slow and had sluggish handling but required more skill in navigating the grid-like structure of a city map like Liberty City. Long straights were limited mainly to the bridges connecting the boroughs and the long Algonquin avenues. Chases were at lower speed but were more tense as the cars were closer to one another and constantly jostling for position. A poorly taken corner could result in the chase being over before it really got going. PIT maneuvers were more viable and accumulated damage on cars actually mattered. A car with its tires shot out became virtually undriveable. It had car chases clearly inspired by films like Ronin.

GTAV on the other hand had a much more different tone. Inspired by Hollywood trash like the Fast&Furious franchise GTA5 driving was all about putting gaudy supercars through over-the-top set pieces. Driving skill became secondary. GTAV cars can weave in and out of traffic effortlessly and stop on a dime. A collision with another car at top speed is a minor inconvenience, you'll be accelerating back to 100 Mph within 2 seconds. Driving over grass or gravel is barely noticeable. What's important is the car is going fast at all times to make the player feel like a skilled driver. If you are never punished for making a mistake than you can't have a sense of accomplishment when you evade a police manhunt against all odds. The Forza Horizon series suffers from the same sickness.

I hope GTAVI can find a balance between the two. BeamNG has a pretty good driving model that actually presents the driver with different challenges depending on what car you're driving and in what conditions. GTA Online stagnated in their car design because you can only make a car go faster and handle better enough before it stops resembling a car and starts becoming a rocketship with wheels. It was no surprise to me that GTA Online eventually started producing literal motorcycle rocketships because they couldn't design anymore cars that could outperform their previous DLC offerings. Ideally, your car collection in GTAVI should be a thoughtfully curated collection of vehicles with their own strengths and weaknesses that you have to carefully consider before selecting them for a particular race or mission. Not just 12 Lamborghini knockoffs that look cool.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
San Andreas: Peaceful Protest George Floyd Edition.

black-lives-matter.png

Those are most of your beloved gaming companies, by the way.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I hate this retarded series. From a fun 2D game to boring 3D corporate crap. It looks like such a stupid kids game when I look at it now. Maximum speed in a car is about 20mph. It's all the engine can handle and they are so desperate to fill the world with more litter and leaves in the gutters and shit that it will never get faster. It should be as fast as a racing game so maybe crashing at 80 mph might actually look and feel like something close to realistic for a change... But it will never be like that. It will be Simpsons Hit & Run forever, just updated graphics and music for the latest generation of dudebros.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
GTA VI has the chance to trigger the Trumpist on an unprescedented scale.... but it will probably blow it by playing safe and cater to the "unpolitical gamer" demographics.
you wouldn't like it because gta is known for relentlessly making fun of *everyone*

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
GTA VI has the chance to trigger the Trumpist on an unprescedented scale.... but it will probably blow it by playing safe and cater to the "unpolitical gamer" demographics.
you wouldn't like it because gta is known for relentlessly making fun of *everyone*

On the contrary, that's my kind of game exactly.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Modron

Arcane
Any reason the DS version is superior to the psp version?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom