Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
So I should play the game?

Like all Spiderweb games, tho quality will get worse the further you get. Just don't expect awesumh games throughout, the first 10 - 15 hours are probably the best part of the game.

Vogel is very prolific, that's fore sure

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
If you get it cheap, buy it and play at least the starting city, which sadly has some of the best parts of the game. The rest isn't terrible, but a bit of a missed chance

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Since it's 4 yes to 3 No, I will play it.

So later then, till I am back to bitch about it.
If you like action rpgs and have enjoyed other spider games,they get it. If you hate such shit,then it is not for you. Where the game shines the most is the writing and its interactivity,do all the side quests.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
tl;dr: In GreedFall, the gameplay stops being interesting way before the story ends.

I did enjoy and finish all Spiders games - except this one.

I think the other games benefitted greatly from their reduced scope. Spiders' budget contraints forced them to make their games a lot more concise, shorter, and that's why they worked.
But GreedFall still feels like a budget approach in many aspects - yet you have a rather large open world filled with way more content. But that content isn't really that good.

In other words, the gameplay will start to bore you before you are even close to finish the game. I saw everything the game had to offer, gameplay-wise, in the first 20 hours or so (when the last big combat ability of my char unlocked). And I enjoyed that part.
But the game was far from over and I really wasn't eager to repeat the same gameplay for 20 more hours or so without anything new just to finish the "meh" story.

Also, that fake native accent has to be one of the most ridiculous things in gaming since a while.
Makes every native sound like a complete dumbass.

So I'd agree with those who said that you should get it on a cheap sale, play the first 20 hours or so, but no need to finish it.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I was really annoyed by how railroady that game was in terms of quest choices. The game wants you to play the benevolent saviour that comes across the seas to liberate the locals from their torment. A lot of quests force you into combat into men from your own faction, factions you might already be allied with at this point, defending the natives. When it comes to fighting natives the game always tries to give you options to solve stuff peacefully. I heavily dislike when a game barrs of the "evil" path like this, makes the choice of being good matter much less.

For me the game is like Jade Empire. Acceptable RPG mechanics, decently fun combat, game is much elevated by the original setting.

Last edited:

Bloodeyes

Arcane
I have this on ps4. I didn't get far in it. Almost immediately my first companion made a gay come on to me. I'd asked him if he gets lonely or something and BAM out of left field he's asking to bum. Then I meet another companion who turns out to be a white guy with Maori facial tattoos. He looked freakin' terrible. I was getting serious bad vibes from the game by this point.

Once I arrived in the new world I met this guy and he was the worst thing I have ever seen. This game is so fucking cursed. It's like they were trying so hard to make the natives not be an obvious allegory for any real world ethnicity they just made them as random as possible. I mean what in the actual fuck is that accent? How am I supposed to see siding with these fucking freaks as the good option? He's like an anthropomorphic Wilson from Cast Away only retarded. That's the point where I stopped playing. How are these incompetent lunatics still selling games?

Silverfish

Arbiter
Also, that fake native accent has to be one of the most ridiculous things in gaming since a while.
Makes every native sound like a complete dumbass.

See, I was huge fan of UHF when I was younger, so I loved that every native sounds like Emo Philips.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
I was really annoyed by how railroady that game was in terms of quest choices. The game wants you to play the benevolent saviour that comes across the seas to liberate the locals from their torment. A lot of quests force you into combat into men from your own faction, factions you might already be allied with at this point, defending the natives. When it comes to fighting natives the game always tries to give you options to solve stuff peacefully. I heavily dislike when a game barrs of the "evil" path like this, makes the choice of being good matter much less.

Modern game development in a nutshell. Wonderful how they call it 'divergent gaming experiences.'

By divergent, they actually mean every choice leads you to the same place.

Certain death!

Serus

Arcane
Patron

Modern game development in a nutshell. Wonderful how they call it 'divergent gaming experiences.'

Certain death!

Hey, this is a GREAT movie. I know that your examples has nothing to do with its quality but i can't stress how much i think it is great. Also it has a really good (and weird) dungeon. More like an adventure game rather than crpg.
Also, an exemple of real choice and consequence from the same movie:
https://youtu.be/l0K5T0AqVlY?t=86

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

Certain death!

Hey, this is a GREAT movie. I know that your examples has nothing to do with its quality but i can't stress how much i think it is great. Also it has a really good (and weird) dungeon. More like an adventure game rather than crpg.

Never head of it before, but I dig this kind of weird stuff. Seems like a bit more serious Dark Crystal? I will be watching this tomorrow.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Saw review of this game (hell no I be playing this shit, but I like long-assed reviews of stuff I'll never play). Thing that really bugged me off is how repulsive all people in this game are. I don't mean bad facial animations or weird face models. Faces are more or less realistic, but somehow very repulsive, like bad wax figures.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

Certain death!

Finally got around to watching it this evening, absolutely incredible movie. Bowie is a perfect cast for Jareth and the tricks have aged like wine, as practical effects tend to do. Thanks for the recommendation, this is one of those movies that really are a font of ideas.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Yeah, I never played a Spiders game before so I expected a lot more choice and consequence. Siding with the colonists against the native heathens would have been a fun role-playing approach, and I really wanted to tell the religious faction to fuck off. No matter what I did though I was friends with everyone.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron

Yeah, I never played a Spiders game before so I expected a lot more choice and consequence. Siding with the colonists against the native heathens would have been a fun role-playing approach, and I really wanted to tell the religious faction to fuck off. No matter what I did though I was friends with everyone.

I have played only Faery: Legends of Avalon from Spiders before, and that was an incredibly strange game. Pretty much the same vibes as the labyrinth. Gameplay was standard JRPG fanfare, nothing interesting there. It has choices regarding the order you want to tackle the content in, but no story choices. I would recommend that one for the novelty, I heard their other rpgs are more mundane.

I have expected much more from this game by roleplaying standards after hearing all the hype that they are the "New Bioware". Like different natives inspired by different cultures like the Aztecs, Incas, Mayas and Indians, not just one mush of them all. I expected complicated infighting between all factions, and you in the middle a bit like Expeditions : Conquistador.

Still I will keep Spiders on my radar, I feel like they have heart. Maybe when they finally get a budget after the success that was Greedfall they will produce an excellent game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Still I will keep Spiders on my radar, I feel like they have heart. Maybe when they finally get a budget after the success that was Greedfall they will produce an excellent game.

I finished Greedfall, so it wasn't that bad. Just didn't live up to the hype. Combat and atmosphere were pretty good. I hear Technomancer or whatever it's called was about the same quality, and the sci-fi setting would probably make me enjoy it a little more. I definitely hope they keep improving.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

As long as gaining a budget doesn't mean they also start chasing big budget trends.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

I finished Greedfall, so it wasn't that bad. Just didn't live up to the hype. Combat and atmosphere were pretty good. I hear Technomancer or whatever it's called was about the same quality, and the sci-fi setting would probably make me enjoy it a little more. I definitely hope they keep improving.

Technomancer was shorter, had less filler content, more interesting party members, story that rivalled some of the great B movies of the 80s. All in all it was simply a better game. If you can stand Spiders game design you should definately try it out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom