Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Died again at lvl 35, had a great run as a Vines spamming shaman. Who the fuck thought that random oneshot is a good idea for a game with HC mode...? (Bone Pit)

Hate shit like this.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Died again at lvl 35, had a great run as a Vines spamming shaman. Who the fuck thought that random oneshot is a good idea for a game with HC mode...? (Bone Pit)

Hate shit like this.
Hardcore is better once you have already completed the game at least on the first difficulty and know what is coming, and can therefore prepare for it better (by keeping necessary resistance items, knowing when to pull back, etc.). There is basically nothing that can one-shot you on normal if you have decent resistances. The most dangerous things are DoTs and bursts of chaos/vitality damage (which is what the guy in the bone pit does).

Sothpaw

Learned
I wonder how the survival mode is going to be? I feel like there's an opportunity there to make a really fun side mode that will test your characters after you clear ultimate with them. Make the waves random with a % chance for loot that scales with how many waves you clear and it could be a nice complement to farming SOT and BOC.

Also really glad the game sold so well (361K copies so far per Steamspy). That should keep a small team like Crate motivated and funded for a while.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Been getting some crashing lately, screen will just freeze.

When I press control-alt-del I will just get my white windows mouse cursor which I can move around and stuff, but the rest is black.

Is there a way to recover from a crash like this? I now reboot manually.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I wonder how the survival mode is going to be? I feel like there's an opportunity there to make a really fun side mode that will test your characters after you clear ultimate with them. Make the waves random with a % chance for loot that scales with how many waves you clear and it could be a nice complement to farming SOT and BOC.

Also really glad the game sold so well (361K copies so far per Steamspy). That should keep a small team like Crate motivated and funded for a while.
Hopefully they get some more programmers and fix the engine.

Hardcore is better once you have already completed the game at least on the first difficulty and know what is coming, and can therefore prepare for it better (by keeping necessary resistance items, knowing when to pull back, etc.). There is basically nothing that can one-shot you on normal if you have decent resistances. The most dangerous things are DoTs and bursts of chaos/vitality damage (which is what the guy in the bone pit does).

And where's fun in that? I played plenty of games on hardcore, Diablo-likes too. None of them had shit like that, must be either a bug or fight mechanic. In one case it's forgivable in the other it's just dumb.

DDZ

Patron
I would love to have some cooldown timers to show if a skill is on cooldown, would save me a whole bunch of pot using.

Sothpaw

Learned
I would love to have some cooldown timers to show if a skill is on cooldown, would save me a whole bunch of pot using.

The cooldown is shown on the ability icon. Unless you need to see the numbers in seconds that is.

DDZ

Patron
Numbers in seconds would be the nicest, but what I actually want it for is for cooldowns of skills that happen on a certain HP level.

Can't remember if my Turtle shield popped, healing belt procced, etc.

Renevent

Cipher
Some of those do have that...you see them pop over over your skill bar on the left. Not sure about turtle shell, but Blast Shield has a cool down for instance.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Numbers in seconds would be the nicest, but what I actually want it for is for cooldowns of skills that happen on a certain HP level.

Devotion skills I believe don't show the cooldown, but other skills that activate on certain conditions with a cooldown (Blast Shield, Menhir's Will, etc.) do. I'm pretty sure skills like that from items do as well.

Sothpaw

Learned

Pretty sure the healing belt (Alchemist's Belt) shows the proc cooldown right over your action bar.

Where are the most multiplayer games?

GOG Galaxy, Steam, (dunno if Humble Bundle has its own component)?

made

Arcane
Where are the most multiplayer games?

GOG Galaxy, Steam, (dunno if Humble Bundle has its own component)?
The game has been on steam early access for months (years?) while it only came out on GOG yesterday. You do the math yourself, nerd.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I think both versions will work together in MP.
They are not using Steam servers for MP matchmaking.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So I grabbed the game yesterday from GoG just to have some aRPG fun for the weekend. I know absolutely zilch about it so I thought imma get some quick build tips but jesus h. christ there's A LOT to read on the interwebz. It's like a masters degree study program.

Has the codex collective any quick tips for me? The basic dos and don'ts? Like I've read magic chars are not recommended for complete noobs is that true? I fancy going for some shooting pistol dude, is that viable?

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ehhh. I wouldn't mind random forum posts that much and just play what sounds fun to you. Most things work well enough through the first and even the second difficulty. The biggest fuck ups that arent reversible are attribute and mastery level assignment, but even with those it's not usually the end of the world.

By hovering over things in your stat window gives a pretty good picture of how stuff works and http://www.grimdawn.com/game.php is has a lot of good, and factual instead of random retards frothing on the GD forums, info as well.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
So I grabbed the game yesterday from GoG just to have some aRPG fun for the weekend. I know absolutely zilch about it so I thought imma get some quick build tips but jesus h. christ there's A LOT to read on the interwebz. It's like a masters degree study program.

Has the codex collective any quick tips for me? The basic dos and don'ts? Like I've read magic chars are not recommended for complete noobs is that true? I fancy going for some shooting pistol dude, is that viable?
Most things work in Normal/veteran, and through Elite, just do whatever seems interesting to you. A dual-pistol character is actually pretty powerful, if you combine a firestrike Demolitionist with Occultist (Nightblade works too).

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Arcanist/Demo dual pistol is pretty fun too. Fuckton of damage types from Fire Strike and Iskandra's. A glass cannon, but if you're not on hardcore that doesn't matter that much.

I stalk the night
Patron
... A glass cannon...
Not at all if you build it right. Blast Shield, Vindictive Flame, and Sphere of Protection can combine to make you very tanky. It just doesn't synergize as well as Occultist imo.
True. It does need pretty heavy investment in physique though to complement that mitigation, due to the low phys/health of arcanist. I just liked to build it as a glass cannon, as the damage it does is just ridiculous.

HARD WAY BEST WAY.

Love em vines shamans with big ass two handers tho. Roughly 800 DoT ticks (vines + falcon proc) and 5k brutal slam hits at lvl 30.

After dying yesterday to a fucking bone pit spirit, I went for the same build and had roughly the same stats, but decided to skip it and see what else is there. Nothing came even close to taking half of my hp, let alone all of them in one hit. Prob was bugged last night or somesuch. Otherwise lack of visual cues and oneshots combined is just too much, especially considering that it's just some random ass ghost. Gonna check it on normal at some point, still mildly butthurt though.

Amn Nom

Learned
The basic dos and don'ts?
Wouldn't recommend melee for your first char unless you like learning mechanics the hard way. Anything ranged will clear faster and easier.
I can second this. Went Blademaster for my first run and it was trial by fire for sure relative to something else ranged.

My advice is use the respec feature. I had to change my build a few times until I found something that worked.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom