Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Holy cow, the fire strike/grenade demolitionist is a complete steamroll compared to the soldier. The only drawback is the fact that I cannot find any cool devotion trees for him, while for the soldier they were pretty obvious.

Did anyone experiment with how the default attack passive proc skills work in tandem with default attack active skills like cadence? Info on the official forums is pretty conflicting.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
I'm using Grenado/Fire Strike/Flashbang/Mortar for my current char. Got an Epic helmet that lets me shoot 3 fireballs with 400-750 damage on proc (15%), and went with Imp, Kraken, and Wraith. Planning to get Ulzuin's Torch and something else to buff Lightning and Aether eventually

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
rKn9Md.png

SxtG5W.png

R08gZh.png

Man, suddenly got so easy when I got to level 50 and finally was able to equip some of my gear.

As you can see I have not put a single point into spirit so far, also not sure what my second class is going to be, if any. I have been putting 3 phys / 1 cun stat distribution, which means I can't wear any good rings or amulets, should I start putting some points into spirit?

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I have been putting 3 phys / 1 cun stat distribution, which means I can't wear any good rings or amulets, should I start putting some points into spirit?
The consensus seems to be that to be really viable in Ultimate you need to put everything in Phys and mostly pick defensive Devotions. Devotions are less of a problem because you can respec them, but stat points are set in stone.

DDZ

Patron
Yeah that's what I heard too, but as a full mastery soldier I already got a bunch of extra phys anyway.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Uh, well if all the damage you take is Lightning or Fire, I guess yeah.

DDZ

Patron
It doesn't expire, so I get hit once by either and I have a shitload of retaliation for free, I like.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Holy cow, the fire strike/grenade demolitionist is a complete steamroll

How does fire strike work? Do you need a melee build for that? Coz I wanna switch from my Blackwater build into something else but I've building myself as a caster - Demo and a bit of Arcanist (Flash Freeze is awesome with BWC).

Anyone any tips?

DDZ

Patron
You just use it as default attack, works with ranged extremely well, dual pistols.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You just use it as default attack, works with ranged extremely well, dual pistols.

Problem is I got 240 Cunning and 550 Spirit. Fire Strike (or Grenado, also something I was considering) is physical damage tied to Cunning. Hm, I guess I'll stick with my Flash Freeze and go for full Grenado for single target dmg, while pumping Cunning.

Gentle Player

Arcane

Problem is I got 240 Cunning and 550 Spirit. Fire Strike (or Grenado, also something I was considering) is physical damage tied to Cunning. Hm, I guess I'll stick with my Flash Freeze and go for full Grenado for single target dmg, while pumping Cunning.

Don't put any points in Cunning! Fire Strike Sorceror is most powerful with Spirit as most of his damage is Elemental.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Don't put any points in Cunning! Fire Strike Sorceror is most powerful with Spirit as most of his damage is Elemental.

Sad-Dawson-Meme-28.png

B...but Fire Strike only ads dmg to weapons? And pistols are physical damage? I don't get it. :lowerlipquivering:

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
All of Fire Strike's modifiers add Spirit based damage to it. Flame Touched will add Fire damage to your attacks. Iskandra's will convert physical damage to elemental (1/3 Fire, 1/3 Cold and 1/3 Lightning) and add flat elemental damage as well. Components with conversion can be applied to the pistols and there are also pistols that have damage or conversion that scales of Spirit on them.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Fires strike itself and its first modifier in the tree add shitton of physical dmg, Flametouched's modifier does as well so these skills are perfectly viable for cunning physical build. That's why I was asking before whether it's true that you need to 100% specialize to remain viable, in fact most skills combine physical dmg with another component, sometimes even a couple at a time.

gestalt11

Arbiter
Holy cow, the fire strike/grenade demolitionist is a complete steamroll

How does fire strike work? Do you need a melee build for that? Coz I wanna switch from my Blackwater build into something else but I've building myself as a caster - Demo and a bit of Arcanist (Flash Freeze is awesome with BWC).

Anyone any tips?

FS works with anything the only thing the transmuter does is require 2H. Althougher certain AOE effects are single target for melee.

For a FS build it is often the case that people either take the first two and go for physical + weapons damage or concentrate on the last two (static strike and brimstone) and only put 1 and 1 in the earlier skills. One is cunning the other is spirit.

In the end though many Ultimate builds do mostly physique anyway. Iwouldn't base a build around which stat so much as what bonuses you want. For example Thermite Mine works great for SS+Brimstone FS build but its not much good for the physical damage FS builds. And you want vastly different equipment and offesnive devotions (witchblade for SS+brimstone, maybe assasin's mark for phys) etc.

Extra Cunning and Spirit are nice for what they do but past equipment reqs highly specializing in either one is not really worth losing the survivability. They just don't pack enough extra punch to glass cannon it up like that. Not saying you can't do a bit of glass cannon but that is more about skills/eq/devotions.

If you highly specialize in one you may get something like +100% more damage than someone who invested just enough for gear, but that is 100 added onto something like 600. Its nice sure but its just like 12% more damage or so. Its not enough to save your ass by killing really fast.

Last edited:
I'm getting my shit kicked in as a Lvl 15 Battle Mage spamming sky shards and missiles while whacking away with a green 1h axe and shield.

Putting all character points into Cunning WTF it's not doing a goddamned thing.

Can't get past Depraved Sanctuary with the purple boss mob and his minions... Kiting and spamming sky shards isn't working.

Ivan

Arcane
dump all attribute points into Physique. You get plenty of spirit through Devotion and contributing toward the mastery belt.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I'm on fort Ikon right now with my Witchblade and I will give the game some time before finishing, the high points so far were on act 1 and 2, act 3 as soon as you get to Homestead is boring as fuck. I had an overload of samey looking plains, samey looking forts and samey looking ruins, the setting is really well done but visually, Grim Dawn is alot less diverse than Titan Quest was. The first two bosses had some nice backstories but the act 3 three major bosses felt very generic and killing them wasn't as nice as killing the first two. I would cut half the areas of Act 3 as they are pointless and only focus on one boss with a decent backstory.

The sudden focus shift the game story takes from the Aetherials to the cult of C'thon felt unecessary, the cult of C'thon barely got any lore more than "We are crazy blood cultists!" and somehow it was boring to fight them, they should be expansion fodder. Maybe the cult approached you claiming to help defeat the Aetherials but they backstab you and you take your vengeance on an expansion, right now, I'm feeling "eh" and without much reason to care.

I don't like too how plenty of times NPCs send you to kill shit alone that their fucking armies can't. Some guy that barely knows you just see you and after rescuing you from death, just send you to single handly kill and undead horde and right after that " You go kill the fucking guy that is sending those undead armies, alright?Easy shit tha any nobody that barely escaped being hanged can do." I know that Diablo 2 clones are about killing shit and earn better and better loot to kill shit and to many, story is optional on those sorts of games but Grim Dawn has a post apocalyptic theme to it and a pretty good setting that could be used on more interesting ways, you being asked to do shit that whole armies can't without any care for hiding you are playing a game is disappointing and lazy, epic heroics and a post apocalyptic setting felt weird to me.

On Diablo I, you are only one of the many adventurers that seek money on the Cathedral, people don't place too much faith on you and they have no clue what is inside, on Diablo II, you seek a lone wanderer while being guided by some crazy old dude.

The setting is pretty cool, the lore well written, the story is some cobbled together shit where no care was placed on, the low variation on the enviroments can induce boredom especially on later acts where the epics are dialed up and the story gets less and less interesting, theorycrafting a build is pretty fun. Grim Dawn is a run of the mill Diablo clone, I don't know if I can say it is better than Titan Quest as a game, it is more interesting as a setting though. I found Torchlight 2 gameplay to be more engaging.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Yeah Act 3 gets pretty redundant. Areas that go on forever killing the same monsters over an over again. I'm lvl 54 and about to go into the final dungean for the first time but I'm pretty burned out. 35K kills will do that to you. I can't imagine what the kill count is for the lvl 85 ultimate guys.

Well I did see the 1,000,000 kill achievement so I'm guessing its around that.

DDZ

Patron
Final dungeon at 54? Jesus Christ how did you manage that? My soldier is 53 and I am almost in act 3 elite. And I did everything on Veteran except bounties, like explored every inch of the map.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I'm getting my shit kicked in as a Lvl 15 Battle Mage spamming sky shards and missiles while whacking away with a green 1h axe and shield.
Shields aren't really useful until you're 30+ and have enough DPS. Use caster off-hand in act 1.

Putting all character points into Cunning WTF it's not doing a goddamned thing.
LOL. Go into Physique or (if you feel like dying a lot on Ultimate) into Spirit.

Can't get past Depraved Sanctuary with the purple boss mob and his minions... Kiting and spamming sky shards isn't working.
Early on I suggest to ignore Soldier completely and focus on necessary stuff from Arcanist. There are high level builds with shards but for leveling you want maxed Olexra's and maxed Calidor's (don't bother with Inferno and Absolute zero yet but get Wrath of Agrivix). You'll need at least two points in Iscandra's for manaregen (more later). One point in Mirror (more if you feel that c/d is too long in boss fights). At least two points in Maiven's.

After that you can level Soldier a bit. What you really need from there is Blitz because it'll help you to get closer for Calidor's (which doesn't have a huge radius like Olexra's).

Sykar

Arcane
Final dungeon at 54? Jesus Christ how did you manage that? My soldier is 53 and I am almost in act 3 elite. And I did everything on Veteran except bounties, like explored every inch of the map.

I was 60+ when I switched to Elite mostly by doing a lot of reputation farming in normal.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom