Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Grim Dawn

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
If you want to play melee, it's generally best not to level with it until you have some decent equipment to back it up. Most classes/combos have some skill that's very good for normal/veteran trash clear and makes leveling easier, such as:
Ranged Firestrike + Explosive Strike
Olexra's Flash Freeze
Phantasmal Blades w/transmuter + Heart Seeker
Dreeg's Evil Eye
Ranged Primal Strike w/transmuter

And most of those can be used for a long-term build as well (probably not OFF). Soldier doesn't really have any good leveling skills, but it pairs well with any other mastery due to the crazy amounts of survivability and DPS boosts it can grant you.

gestalt11

Arbiter
BTW if you have high casting speed you can machine gun flashbang and confuse almost an entire mob of things from a distance, that 40% confuse becomes 99% when machine gunned. 2H primal strike as elementalist works rather nice since you can play either kind of two handed if you do something like 2,1,1 phys,cun,spir you can swithc freely. Kymon's and Black Legion have really good crossbow(35) and 2Hsword(50) that fits primal strike almost perfect which is great for self-found or HC people. Its great AOE and thermite + arcane bomb is a huge res debuff. Blast shield around 8 or so basically make you able to take most alpha's amazingly well. BS + FB is much better than people give it credit for. But for bosses you do need defensive devotions.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Has the codex collective any quick tips for me? The basic dos and don'ts? Like I've read magic chars are not recommended for complete noobs is that true? I fancy going for some shooting pistol dude, is that viable?

Any points you spend on skills can be refunded, but you can't with Mastery points, don't feel like you need to rush to 50 mastery points or pick a dual class as soon as you hit 10. But anything pretty much can make it through normal, you'll just generally have an easier time if you focus on 1-2 complementary damage skills and then a few points on utility skills. Save components for devotion shrines (or you can find a list of which ones you need to save).

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Lol so I went with the Molotov Cocktail build - I'm a Demolitionist after all - and it's a lot of fun. I'm short way from the Burwich Estate, maxed Molotov + chaos damage, and I'm molesting everything (although on Normal/Veteran so yeah...).

I guess I'm gonna have to change the build though since I suspect running around and waiting for the DoT to finish mobs will soon overstay its welcome.

gestalt11

Arbiter
So rather than give general advice I guess I can post a "build" that might illustrate some things and also be an interesting middle ground between caster and melee. I can't promise this build works well in Ultimate but it works fine in Veteran.

So this is a Commando (Demo/Soldier build) I call this the Killing Ground build.

This is my tentative GrimCalc build:
http://grimcalc.com/build/LdXiFj

My current guy at level 45 has 170% cast speed. His weapon is the Kymon's lightning scepter and shield is Elementium. The weapon has Blessed Steel for the res reduction (this replaces manticore devotion since the two won't stack).
Baiscally Stun Jacks is your main source of damage. Put Arcane Bomb on Flashbang and put Assassin Mark on stun jacks (I think my link might not show that devotion). Since stun jacks hits so many times and does DoT's even modest OA with Flashbang can proc crits (FB is a huge DA debuff and therefore OA buff).

The way this fight is mostly mid to close range. You start off machine gunning FB at things from long range to proc arcane bomb and make em all confused. When you want to kill something fast put Thermite close to them then Blitz and blessed steel then throw stun jacks right in their face, refreshed Arcane bomb when needed. For bosses use Overguard to stay alive and defense devotions should help as well. Also you can move between close and mid range and still stun jacks things and thereby avoid really hard hitting moves. This should result in something like -60% or more lighting res reduction and about 30 or so -physical res which help this physical hit and the internal trauma dot. Thus you wind up with a huge "Killing ground" of mines, flashbang flahes, and tons of stun jacks. This also works really well for Elementalists with Grapsong vines + mines + flashbang (AB on vines in stead is superior to on FB) but you would use something else for main damage (storm totem, savagery, primal strike, fire strik etc). Arguably a better killing ground with Elementalist since Vines is a massive slow with points and procs Arcane Bomb amazingly well. The main point here though is as a Commando you get the shield with overguard etc etc to deal with bosses/heroes which are not really gonna stay CC'd well. Elementalist should be able to do ok, but it won't be as obvious how to layer everything to a new player.

This build takes a lot of energy, but its ability to joust in and out is very nice and useful. Plus Blast shield with menhir's will allows you to deal with spikes in damage with out needing to panic or flat out run. On the other hand its need for energy can put a dent in your armor rating if you don't. It also can allow you try out offensive or defense devotions depending which tree you go (but I would say rushing Arcane bomb is best).

Its a fairly good learning build as you can 1) see difference between melee and not-melee 2) you can see how CC helps and doesn't help (i.e. FB rocks normal large spawns but is just the fumble for bosses) 3) you can see the effect of one the better remedies for melee, i.e. using a shield

Also I am thinking of adding significant retaliation to this build but that takes itemization and isn't somehting for new players really but its an option. There are a lot of tweaks this build can have for example taking one point in canister with 3 in transmuter is a massive stun, but I just use flashbang. This build is on the edge of just enough things to do, adding more probably takes DPS away from stun jacks spams.

Stun Jacks itself is a rather interesing and versatile power. Although probably no longer straight up hugely damage like it once was and the energy cost is substanital with high cast speed.

Last edited:

gestalt11

Arbiter
Lol so I went with the Molotov Cocktail build - I'm a Demolitionist after all - and it's a lot of fun. I'm short way from the Burwich Estate, maxed Molotov + chaos damage, and I'm molesting everything (although on Normal/Veteran so yeah...).

I guess I'm gonna have to change the build though since I suspect running around and waiting for the DoT to finish mobs will soon overstay its welcome.

Yes a build like that often switches to Stun Jacks + transmuter instead, its cheaper in points and can spam many raw damage hits (you can get up to 8 jacks so if all 8 hit you can do like 8k damage etc.). Or alternately uses MC with a main damage attack where MC is more of a debuff thing (it debuffs ALOT of things fully done). Personally I think MC takes too many skill points though.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
So this is a Commando (Demo/Soldier build) I call this the Killing Ground build.

A few suggestions: you should max Blast Shield... Thermite Mine is kind of garbage, but I guess it fits with your build's theme... I'd pump Scars of Battle (armor absorb % becomes very important later) and War Cry a bit more as well, and get Blindside.

gestalt11

Arbiter

A few suggestions: you should max Blast Shield... Thermite Mine is kind of garbage, but I guess it fits with your build's theme... I'd pump Scars of Battle (armor absorb % becomes very important later) and War Cry a bit more as well, and get Blindside.

Thermite mine at 16 points give -51% res for fire and lightning(-33% chaos with later skill). For any build where either or both of those types are major damage contributors it is one of the best skills in the game bar-none. Now if we were taking using it as a main damage thing yes. But -50% res on something is like easily better than +200% or maybe even 300% damage on that type.

But also yes that grimcalc was just something I am playing around with I have not settled on a number of things, especially warcry. Its just meant as a general thing for other people to see how to layer extra offense and defense and as a mid-range skirmisher style thing it gives people the ability to feel things out.

Edit: or let me put it this way. If my character has +500% lightning damage then -50% res is like getting an extra +250%. +500% is actually a modest number. So thermite mine is pretty amazing really.

Edit#2: I also though thermite mine sucked and ignored it until I realized it had one of the largest -res debuff in the game (which I think didn't used to be there?)

Last edited:

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Thermite mine at 16 points give -51% res for fire and lightning(-33% chaos with later skill). For any build where either or both of those types are major damage contributors it is one of the best skills in the game bar-none. Now if we were taking using it as a main damage thing yes. But -50% res on something is like easily better than +200% or maybe even 300% damage on that type.
They nerfed -resists pretty hard in the last patch (cutting most in half or more) and lowered enemy resists a bit making it all less useful on the whole. If it's still like that, then it's good.

Edit: just checked and it does indeed still seem to be -51%. Snazzy.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
My first run ended, hardcore veteran lvl28 soldier died. Fun game, if only it was finished, cause stuff like the devotion trees with placeholder UI made in depths of hell are killing me a bit.

Started a normal veteran Demolitionist build, that grenade skill is fucking op, spammed some points into it and killed the big baddie in Smugler's basin in like 5 hits while being lvl16. Still, the cadence/blitz soldier was somehow more satisfying.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
What are you talking about, not finished? The devotion UI is fine, looks kinda cool even.

Having a little more overview on what constellation does what would be nice, but it's not that bad.

DaveO

Erudite
Too many mentions of Titan Quest for me to consider this game at launch. I might change my mind for a good sale price.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, it's by people who developed TQ, bases most of its mechanics on TQ and uses a modified version of the TQ engine. It is a vastly improved TQ in a different setting pretty much.

gestalt11

Arbiter
They nerfed -resists pretty hard in the last patch (cutting most in half or more) and lowered enemy resists a bit making it all less useful on the whole. If it's still like that, then it's good.

Edit: just checked and it does indeed still seem to be -51%. Snazzy.

if the things is -% or X amount reduced rather x% reduced then they bring resistances into the negative and it magnifies damage. Only %reduction (such as the Viper devotion) is poor for low res things. So unless they changed the actual equation so the magnification is gone (which has been that way since Titan quest) it should be pretty good.

gestalt11

Arbiter
Too many mentions of Titan Quest for me to consider this game at launch. I might change my mind for a good sale price.

Well if you disliked TQ's base machanics then that is fine. But if its because of engine or pacing of combat or setting then I don't think that you are really on point there.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sooo...I'm lvl 23 and I've just killed the Warden. En route, when I was about lvl 15, I encountered this Salazar dude but he molested my shit, being 10 levels above me and such. So I wanted to finish him but he keeps leveling with me and molesting me! I stand zero chance. How am I supposed to beat this guy?

Renevent

Cipher
It's not fine and it's clearly one of the things they sacrificed when time/money run out.

It was actually a feature *added* due to how well they were doing in early access, same with the voice work (which that one I do think was a waste of money). If steamspy is to believed, they've sold about 360K copies, 2/3rd of which were done before the game even released. Not too shabby for like a 6 person team.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
if the things is -% or X amount reduced rather x% reduced then they bring resistances into the negative and it magnifies damage. Only %reduction (such as the Viper devotion) is poor for low res things. So unless they changed the actual equation so the magnification is gone (which has been that way since Titan quest) it should be pretty good.
I know how resistance works, don't worry. Actually stuff like Viper will multiply negative resistances, so if you can pull something into the negative with your other -resistances it's actually great. Sources of -%resist stack, but sources of flat -resist do not.

1st Playthrough:

Difficulty: Veteran
Mode: Single Player

Build: Battle Mage (Arcanist + Soldier)

Pumping all character points into Cunning (I put a view into Physique but it was unnecessary).

Arcanist Tree: Replicating Missile, Sky Shard, Supercharged
Soldier Tree: Advantage, Will, Conditioning

Act I combat tactics are to open mobs with Sky Shard and spam with melee/replicating missile

I tried fighting trash mobs with just melee/sky shard or replicating missile/sky shard, but melee doesn't do any crowd control and missile is just too weak at level 13 (I got 1 point into missile and 1 point into supercharged ATM).

I'm glad I skipped the cookie-cutter pure Blademaster build I see spammed all over the internet because it looks boring as fuck.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Sooo...I'm lvl 23 and I've just killed the Warden. En route, when I was about lvl 15, I encountered this Salazar dude but he molested my shit, being 10 levels above me and such. So I wanted to finish him but he keeps leveling with me and molesting me! I stand zero chance. How am I supposed to beat this guy?
Come with better gear and when your build is more mature. Some chaos/vitality resistance helps as well.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Meh. Was bored so I did the challenge to kill Krieg with a level 10 character on Veteran. Took me 30 min to do it. Feels like I'm milking the game for all it's worth at this point.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom