Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Ryzer

Arcane
Is there a speedhack in game? for those who want fast-paced combat.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Is there a speedhack in game? for those who want fast-paced combat.
Hold down the enter key.

Edit - Sorry I didn't see Zenyrrah's post. You will miss most of the details of what is happening but you can get into a rhythm of holding it and letting go to where it goes significantly faster and you have time to read the outcomes.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
After a rough start, I'm doing fine, and having a blast. I just hope to find more equipment soon.

I'm running four melee dudes, and four casters.

Music, graphics, combat, exploration, I love it all. Customization is beefy, but I am trying to put as much as I can into the speed stat. Using berserk at lower levels was a mistake. Bastard massacred my own mages. The necromancer wasn't what I expected, but has some very useful spells.

Paying $1 is one of the better gaming deals in a long time. Kudos to Cleve.

catfood

AGAIN
Has anyone managed to get it running on Linux? I've tried various versions of Wine and Proton and they all have the same problem with the unresponsive mouse.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
In honour of the fifth anniversary, I've started a new playthrough. I'm doing a 6-man party with no class changing or recruits. I'm playing with tablet robbers turned on this time, and I turned the difficulty up.

Party:
Giant Berserker
Saurian Warrior
Naga Assassin
Feyfolk Bard
Barrower Thaumaturge
Aeorb Sage

After a rough start, I'm doing fine, and having a blast. I just hope to find more equipment soon.

I'm running four melee dudes, and four casters.

Music, graphics, combat, exploration, I love it all. Customization is beefy, but I am trying to put as much as I can into the speed stat. Using berserk at lower levels was a mistake. Bastard massacred my own mages. The necromancer wasn't what I expected, but has some very useful spells.

Paying $1 is one of the better gaming deals in a long time. Kudos to Cleve.
Grimoire even at full price is one of the best gaming deals ever. No hyperbole. This game is a triumph.

Shaki

Arbiter
Is there any reason to use off-hand weapons at all, or they're just trash? From what I noticed, off-hands are generally much weaker than main hand weapons, and you tend to get similar number of extra attacks whether you're using an offhand or not. But if you have an off-hand weapon, then all extra attacks are made using it, which results in much less dmg. So you're basically gimping yourself by dual wielding, even with single handed weapon it's better to just leave the second hand empty, or equip a shield which seems to have 0 drawbacks. Am I wrong?

Self-Ejected

Lim-Dûl

Self-Ejected
Is there any reason to use off-hand weapons at all, or they're just trash? From what I noticed, off-hands are generally much weaker than main hand weapons, and you tend to get similar number of extra attacks whether you're using an offhand or not. But if you have an off-hand weapon, then all extra attacks are made using it, which results in much less dmg. So you're basically gimping yourself by dual wielding, even with single handed weapon it's better to just leave the second hand empty, or equip a shield which seems to have 0 drawbacks. Am I wrong?
I haven't come across a situation where using an off-hand weapon is better than keeping the second hand empty.

There are shields that you are supposed to be able to attack with, but when you equip them, you skip all extra attacks.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Has anyone managed to get it running on Linux? I've tried various versions of Wine and Proton and they all have the same problem with the unresponsive mouse.
Are you running it from Steam? If so, try downloading the binary from GOG and running it in Lutris.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Are you running it from Steam? If so, try downloading the binary from GOG and running it in Lutris.
I've tried both and the result is the same.
Then it's not meant to be. The only way I've got it working was when I played it on Windows.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
About 10 hours in now, getting endlessly trolled by the Black Lich. My bard is singlehandedly keeping me in the fight with Lyre of Slumber and Hotfoot Banjo. I don't have anyone with Enchanted Blade, which makes it tricky. What's cool is I'm pretty sure this fight is optional. You can just go down to Samhain and deal with that stuff, then come back later, and I might just have to do that.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Did you get a flute of chaos in any loot drops? I seem to remember that instrument being effective against the lich.
I didn't, but I was able to poison him and then chain sleeps. Felt more satisfying than praying for a crit, which is how I beat him on my first playthrough.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
I finally managed to get Grimoire to work with rusty_shackleford's method partially being correct. Switching the active proton version to 4.11-10 then running the following command proved to be the solution to my problem.
Bash:
protontricks 650670 gmdls directmusic

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Hate to admit it ... but dual wielding is kind of broken, despite big improvements in V3. It never really got all the glitches out. It is a big regret with me and I wish I had finally ironed it out by now but it's still kind of janky to this day.

You can have a bit of fun with a strange weapon in the alternate hand when you get extra attacks and all of a sudden start poisoning with that weapon every time you hit. It has fun aspects but is not entirely perfected at all.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
About 10 hours in now, getting endlessly trolled by the Black Lich. My bard is singlehandedly keeping me in the fight with Lyre of Slumber and Hotfoot Banjo. I don't have anyone with Enchanted Blade, which makes it tricky. What's cool is I'm pretty sure this fight is optional. You can just go down to Samhain and deal with that stuff, then come back later, and I might just have to do that.
There are alternate approaches and other items and spells that will be very effective against the Black Lich.

Definitely Enchanted Blade and Magic Shield come in handy in this encounter.

catfood

AGAIN
Code:
winetricks directmusic
works fine after that
alternatively, protontricks if using proton

I finally managed to get Grimoire to work with rusty_shackleford's method partially being correct. Switching the active proton version to 4.11-10 then running the following command proved to be the solution to my problem.
Bash:
protontricks 650670 gmdls directmusic

It worked like a charm with protontricks. Thanks.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Beat the Salamander. Man, was it an expert at dodging. Luckily, it didn't hit my characters very hard.

Now, a fight with skeletal champion, wraiths, and specters was real close. They hurt real bad, but no one died. Lots of healing needed to survive that one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom