Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grimoire Thread

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Figured I'd go with a full party of my own people instead of going for recruitables, especially if they're broken right now.

Recruitables aren't broken. They make life easier in the beginning, but that's it.

Well not broken in the technical sense, but people have been complaining about the recruitables stats being too high, having impossible skill combinations, and other such things in this thread. Seems like a good choice in the short term but in the long term it's probably better to have the other two slots filled with your own guys

especially if we don't know if the recruitable NPCs will eventually betray/leave you sometime down the line, leaving you down a member

Clearly the recruitables have too good stats for monocled gentlemen to bring them along with their merry band of save-scumming murderhobo penitents, but they are a good relief for newbies who want to spend some time messing around and understanding the game mechanics without getting constantly ganked by ?RUDE CHAPS? and fireballs to the back row.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
a 50hp fairy with 300mana and magic missile aoe makes the rest of your party and all thought you put into it completely useless, no matter how hard you try to defend it.

What is it about you and contant whining, Reapa? 50 HP is not that much - my tanks have more than that on Level 2. If you don't like having an easier life in a hard game, play on harder difficulty or something. Or don't recruit anyone.

Viata

Arcane
Figured I'd go with a full party of my own people instead of going for recruitables, especially if they're broken right now.

Recruitables aren't broken. They make life trivial in the beginning, but that's it.
ftfy

a 50hp fairy with 300mana and magic missile aoe makes the rest of your party and all thought you put into it completely useless, no matter how hard you try to defend it.
edit: btw, about the same time some of your other chars level up, the fairy also levels up and gets a nice fireball to boot.
Lady Error is trying to come up with excuses to say she is not playing easy mode.

Alkarl

Learned

What is it about you and contant whining, Reapa? 50 HP is not that much - my tanks have more than that on Level 2. If you don't like having an easier life in a hard game, play on harder difficulty or something. Or don't recruit anyone.

She sure as hell wont keep your other chars from dying if they get hit. I still had to reattempt the skinkasaur (snake in Aquavia) and the major deciding factor was my cleric just learned haste, so I hasted my giant.

That being said, I don't think I'll recruit her next time around. I mean, difficulty wise is really a non-issue, just crank it up if you're steam rolling things. By about 3rd level, through practice and skills gained at level up, the rest of my party is pretty much on Rosy's level in terms of stats and skills.

In my experience so far, this game is very Wizardry-like in it emphasizes exploration and problem solving over combat.

Reapa

Doom Preacher

you keep telling people it's not a big deal then you compare the health pool of a fairy thaumaturge with a tank of the same level, completely ignoring a difference in skill points in the hundreds and a mana pool 10x as big as any of your other casters + mass direct dmg spells at 20-30 dmg while your other chars are still learning how to swing their sticks. and by the time your tank hits level 2 the fairy is level 3 and even more powerful. when people say it's op, they are 100% right. the game is great, but you seem to need to defend its every flaw even more than cleve himself. also, this is my codex! it's here for me to whine about any catering to helpless consoletards who can't get through the beginning without massive help. deal with it.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
All I'm hearing is more whining, Reapa. What's your problem really? If you do not want the extra help from NPC's, don't use them. For new players who may not have as much experience it's a good option and you have to survive long enough to find them first too (or know which beginning gives a shortcut to pick them up).

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The score has lowered from 77% to 74%. We need every man in the trenches writing positive reviews to counter the agents of the great Decline.

Sadly, the Steam reviews section is being flooded by a deluge of butthurt idiots who clearly have no idea of how to play the game, leaving bad reviews with something like 0.5h of game time.

Just look at this review. One of the guys in the discussion below (DirtyHarry) hasn't even bought the game, was banned from the Grimoire forums on Steam by Cleve, yet sticks around to talk shit about the game in review comments.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
I have one problem with this game. Crashes. It's happening all the time. Multiple saves and eventually they become corrupt somehow, I'll load the save and tske one step and then... CRASH.

I'm not seeing much in this thread about the crashes. Are they really not happening to other people or are some of you just ignoring this glaring problem?

Reapa

Doom Preacher
I have one problem with this game. Crashes. It's happening all the time. Multiple saves and eventually they become corrupt somehow, I'll load the save and tske one step and then... CRASH.

I'm not seeing much in this thread about the crashes. Are they really not happening to other people or are some of you just ignoring this glaring problem?
do you have the newest copy? it does involve reinstalling the game and losing all saves, but it's supposed to have fixed some of the crashes.

biggestboss

Liturgist
The only crashes I ever got were from clicking on character portraits, which the patch solved. I've never had a crash outside of that other than idling in the Character Creation library.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane

Dumb question since you've been evidently following this - But do you have the patched version?

It seems to have solved all of that.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron

do you have the newest copy? it does involve reinstalling the game and losing all saves, but it's supposed to have fixed some of the crashes.

is there a way to check which version I have? checking the exe I have Product version 1.2.0.1

DarKPenguiN

Arcane

is there a way to check which version I have? checking the exe I have Product version 1.2.0.1
nope you have the proper version it seems.

Not sure man. Wish I could help but...

Rostere

Arcane
Patron

I played for 6h straight with zero crashes (Win7).

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron

Post the bugs or critical issues on Steam in the threads Cleve made for it. I had only a couple crashes when picking up apples from trees (Win8).

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron

I played for 6h straight with zero crashes (Win7).

I'm playing on a Win7 machine as well. Seems like I don't get crashes until I start looting keys from enemies in Shrine of the Raptor.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
The score has lowered from 77% to 74%. We need every man in the trenches writing positive reviews to counter the agents of the great Decline.

Sadly, the Steam reviews section is being flooded by a deluge of butthurt idiots who clearly have no idea of how to play the game, leaving bad reviews with something like 0.5h of game time.

Just look at this review. One of the guys in the discussion below (DirtyHarry) hasn't even bought the game, was banned from the Grimoire forums on Steam by Cleve, yet sticks around to talk shit about the game in review comments.
the game's only advertising comes from the codex. going for steam and steam's audience was a mistake. he could have just sold it on his own website and posted a link in here. no crappy steam malware, no need for gog. it doesn't have any drm anyway so the people who wanted to buy it would have bought it even without steam enforcement. i'm not gonna start posting on steam to defend a game that didn't know it didn't belong there.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Uhhh Mr Blakemore
I am still playing a pirated copy since I still have not gotten a Steam Key from the Indiegogo campaign... the version I have crashes quite a bit on levelups and clicking on the portraits for my chars, plus my Bard gets a skillup everytime she plays her harp and my vampyr necromancer gets two extra spells per levelup after choosing his spells I get the extra spells while checking his character screen
Oh and lastly where does the game keep its saves so I can copy that when I get the Steam game directory?

Reapa

Doom Preacher
Uhhh Mr Blakemore
I am still playing a pirated copy since I still have not gotten a Steam Key from the Indiegogo campaign... the version I have crashes quite a bit on levelups and clicking on the portraits for my chars, plus my Bard gets a skillup everytime she plays her harp and my vampyr necromancer gets two extra spells per levelup after choosing his spells I get the extra spells while checking his character screen
Oh and lastly where does the game keep its saves so I can copy that when I get the Steam game directory?
old saves with new versions won't fly straight. get the 1.2.0.1 and star over. some guy from france is seeding it. not gonna say who :D

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Latest post by Cleve seems to indicate that the key looting crash I'm experiencing is a common issue, promising a fix with the next patch

jfunk

Augur
Uhhh Mr Blakemore

The savegames are right in the installation folder.

Do you know anybody that owns it? Get a copy of the patched version from them.

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist
Looks like I'm gonna have to try the arrggh matey version before Cleve gets off his fat ass and sends us our keys.

Is there no way to target individual enemies in combat? What determines which enemy gets hit?

jfunk

Augur
Looks like I'm gonna have to try the arrggh matey version before Cleve gets off his fat ass and sends us our keys.

Is there no way to target individual enemies in combat? What determines which enemy gets hit?

You can only target the group, not the individual member of the group.

Baptismbyfire

Liturgist

You can only target the group, not the individual member of the group.

Crud... Thanks anyway.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom