Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Guido Henkel's Deathfire: Ruins of Nethermore - CANCELLED

Gord

Arcane
have you ever played Planescape Torment? I'm sure it is much better to read an actual book than having to put up with all that text in a fucking game.

No, I have not. [...] And if that's the case, it's ridiculous:
For one it would show, that Guido is stuck in a time 15 years ago, ignorant of any developments in the meantime.

Ban theSavant, at a minimum until he has played PS:T.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
No, I have not.

Yeah, Planescape Torment is the worst game ever. Keep away from it.

the published screenshot shows that *every* so called "interaction" could take place as book pages opening up in your screen. And if that's the case, it's ridiculous:
For one it shows, that Guido is stuck in a time 15 years ago, ignorant of any developments in the meantime.

He is creating a turn-based blobber, FFS. And guess what, those were popular even further back than 15 years ago.

And how else do you want to do party interactions other than with text? Do you need a voiceover to read the text for you?

Infinitron

I post news
Patron
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
theSavant wants another Wizardry 8. If a game does something differently from Wiz8, that's a bad thing in his book.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Voiced, speech bubbles, or textlines on the bottom of the screen, just something which doesn't completely block the screen and disconnect you from the 3D world. Comments, quarrels or discussions could fade in like in Wizardry 8 - which was text as well, but it didn't "cut you off". If interactions happen - and they happen often - I guarantee you the bookpages get annoying in no time. That's why the way interactions are implemented is very important considering immersion and gameflow.

Edit: now that I think about it, they could smoothly roll up a text area from the bottom (up until to maximum 1/3 or 1/4 of the screen) on a somehow transparent background, maybe subtle scrollbars in case you missed some text. But NOT a giant bookpage in your face every single time something happens. Gentle visualising.

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
I'm pretty sure giant bookpages are reserved for major events like NPC dialogs etc and that those will have some representation in the 3D view (i.e. not like the game we've been discussing in the Workshop forum).
Also, if RoAs are any indication, the "flavour" encounters won't be too frequent to become annoying.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
That would be fine if only for major events.

Infinitron: that's right. If it isn't like Wiz8, it sux :D
J/K, especially in party interaction Wiz8 lacked. They only had a pool of barks which were thrown depending on health status, attack or an enemy approaching. It made it more lively but it wasn't real interaction between the party members. So this definitely can be improved.

Kaldurenik

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So codex... Should i pledge for this? It looks interesting but i have not read much about this. Do it have potential?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
It depends on what you are looking for. If you like turn-based blobbers, this is the game for you.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, blobber. Where you think you're playing as a group of adventurers, but are actually playing as a gelatinous slime with simultaneous multiple personality disorder. Hence blobber.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Back with Thorvalla there was Neal Hallford on board, so that was a major plus, but that ship has sailed.

It may not have sailed permanently and is probably more about how much they can pay him. Thorvalla had a bigger budget.

A first-person RPG might actually be something that Neal is more familiar with, having been involved in Betrayal at Krondor and Might & Magic III.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Kicktraq now shows Deathfire as the #2 most popular KS campaign. It's still projected to come short of the goal though. Guido needs some big updates maybe get his old pals (say Neal or MCA) on board

Stabwound

Arcane
Poor Guido. While this game doesn't exactly stand out, it looked kind of cool if not generic. What's he going to do when this inevitably fails? I don't think there's any recovering from this start.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
It's the second most popular Kickstarter right now, after the Myst guys. He may not reach the lofty goal, but he is not doing bad either.

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Kicktraq is most likely based on funding per day, so all the rank says is that Deathfire received the most backers or $$ yesterday. It doesn't take into account the %funded or total amount (that would bias it too much against smaller projects). It is what it is, but it's interesting that they received a big boost yesterday (most likely due to the RPS article). It also means that Guido needs to somehow do more to get the word out (again get his pals like Neal Halford involved, get endorsements from MCA, Brian Fargo, etc.). It's still headed for a failure but a few big investors donators can change that.

Tigranes

Arcane
Kicktraq projection isn't actually predictive of anything, and Kicktraq itself says this. Don't even bother with that.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Kicktraq is most likely based on funding per day, so all the rank says is that Deathfire received the most backers or $$ yesterday. It doesn't take into account the %funded or total amount (that would bias it too much against smaller projects). It is what it is, but it's interesting that they received a big boost yesterday (most likely due to the RPS article). It also means that Guido needs to somehow do more to get the word out (again get his pals like Neal Halford involved, get endorsements from MCA, Brian Fargo, etc.). It's still headed for a failure but a few big investors donators can change that.
Obsidian just announced backing Deathfire on Twitter. That's something, at least.

By the way, regarding the latest update... Has anyone read "Oathbreaker"?

stony3k

Augur
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Yeah I read the first one, when CMcC essentially gave it out for free on Kindle. It's OK, I felt the world building was good but the characterization was nothing special.

CMcC

Larian Studios
Developer
Yeah, they're pretty average. Apparently people felt I spent too long on the general; the epistolary style doesn't work for everyone. On the other hand, free is a decent price.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Obsidian just announced backing Deathfire on Twitter.

And God Obsidian spoke: "Let there be rain money. What you did to us, thou shalt do to others".
And the humans gazed in awe, followed the voice and dropped their purses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom