Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hardest encounters in RPGs

Codex Year of the Donut
Due lv cap = 10. His CR on 3.5e is 20. https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Balor
Not like the Balor actually acts or fights like a Balor should act or fight. The fight would be impossible if so. A proper Balor would kill an entire party of level 10s as soon as the fight begins.

For reference, blasphemy does not allow a saving throw and immediately kills any non-evil creature 10 levels or more below the caster's level. Every non-evil creature in your party is immediately dead.

laclongquan

Arcane
2. Keep the deads down in city's graveyard. it is always freaking tough. Unless you are a good shooter (which I dont) and maxed out on apporiate abilities.

Or use blood sorcery

4. And of course, fighting the Sheriff on the roof. The flying boss is a particular surprise at that point.

He dies with few shots

Here is dead in 20 seconds. This .338 LM rifle is extremely good.

Tremere is a bloody overpowered class EVEN in vanilla, let alone UP mod. I generally dont touch that class, but I am not surprised people can cakewalk the graveyard with it. NOT. SUPRISED.

As for your 20 second kill~ It's Unofficial Patch mod, what can I say? Wesp add that overpowered to the max sniper rifle into the game just so people can fap to the sound of LM rifle.

The result seem to speak for themselves: YOU are a noob who cant handle hard battles. Sad, I know, but true.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Wesp add that overpowered to the max sniper rifle into the game just so people can fap to the sound of LM rifle.

The result seem to speak for themselves: YOU are a noob who cant handle hard battles. Sad, I know, but true.

Wrong. UP actually NERFED tremere. Read the top two comments. I downloaded the gog version and played it. Don't know if is pathed or not.

z26N3GE.png

And again, I play games for the fun. Be a blood sorcerer seems extremely fun. I don't care if another person sees it as overpowered or underpowered. I also played the Antitribu mod as a Lasombra and the game is way harder on Antitribu. And sniper rifles being effective, what is the problem? "When zoomed in, the weapon inflicts a massive amount of damage, enough to kill ordinary humans in one hit or most vampires in a few hits." https://vtmb.fandom.com/wiki/Jaime_Sue

Is very common for fan paths to make the game harder, not easier. See gothic 3 with alternative balancing ON vs OFF.

----------------------------------

Talking about Mods, anyone here played Gothic 2 - RETURNING?

Dragons are a cakewalk on G2 vanilla, but on returning :
  • They can cast circle 6 magic(the highest on Gothic unvierse), while Bezi in chapter 4 can only cast circle 4
  • Have summons
  • Health regen
  • High resistances and resistance is by flat amount not by percentage
  • Bans every summon except demons in one AOE
  • Can throw you 50m in the air
  • Has powerful servants
  • Only by being 300m near the fire/cold dragon lair makes you take heat/cold damage
  • Their melee attacks can make a shadowbeast looks like a domestic cat
  • Breath weapon
  • High mobility
  • (...)

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Are you talking about the

ambush right outside the secret cave entrance to Lareth's lair beneath the Moathouse?
No, I'm talking about a high level slavers party on one of the outside maps. And yes, it's a mod, Co8 new content.

Atlet

Arcane
Vatnik
People mentioned the Alpine Dragon and the Adra Dragon in PoE, but, to me the most difficult battle by far was Llengrath with her two dragons.

Did not even managed to beat her without Kana and Durance being dead. And it was an almost 1 hour battle.

laclongquan

Arcane
Wesp add that overpowered to the max sniper rifle into the game just so people can fap to the sound of LM rifle.

Wrong. UP actually NERFED tremere. Read the top two comments. I downloaded the gog version and played it. Don't know if is pathed or not.

And again, I play games for the fun. Be a blood sorcerer seems extremely fun. I don't care if another person sees it as overpowered or underpowered. I also played the Antitribu mod as a Lasombra and the game is way harder on Antitribu. And sniper rifles being effective, what is the problem? "When zoomed in, the weapon inflicts a massive amount of damage, enough to kill ordinary humans in one hit or most vampires in a few hits." https://vtmb.fandom.com/wiki/Jaime_Sue

Is very common for fan paths to make the game harder, not easier.

Not when it's Wesp's UP.

The vanilla's weaponry, from Jaime Sue to Mc Lusky, and the lights, take 15 minutes, 3 times it fall on the ground and back up to sky . A dozen of shots. Not one.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I was killing this fucker for several hours with my last character, slowly running around and shooting arrow, hitting pause, then running again. One wrong move and he would one-shot me. What a game!

600315933.jpg

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Tremere is a bloody overpowered class EVEN in vanilla

Yes.
However Celerity is overpowered aswell and turns the game into a cake walk vanilla. All your mentioned encounters where trivial mole shooting for my gun Ventrue. Idk how anyone can call a game hard where 3 out of the available 7 classes just curbstomp the game.

maybe ToEE had more unfair encounters than Pathfinder, but ToEE was mechanically richer and the challenge was more satisfying.

The only unfair thing in ToEE was Fire Salamanders being able to shoot someone regardless of range. Balor is quite a gimmicky boss, if you use lower level protection vs evil against him, then you are immune to his fear effect and battle stops being that difficult. I think that water demon was a better designer, less gimmicky boss.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I wondered when Lac and Sorc were gonna lock horns over a casual popamole for hipsters lol

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
The optional mega-bosses in Pillars of Eternity 2 are challenging, but they feel a bit like WoW raid bosses, with mechanics that you have to follow. Feels very artificial and limiting, as opposed to the more natural & clever examples from IWD that Lilura was showing.

I felt especially cheated when I killed Sigilmaster Auranic and the game was like "nope, gotta kill the inanimate obelisks too to finish the fight!"

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
2 is different, even with APA + Implants + 3 levels of Toughness, something out there will and can hurt you. Gauss guns, Vindicators, plasma, pulse weapons... the Enclave is full of enemies with the best weapons in-game, and they are all 200 HP super-tough badasses with APA, too. Not to mention Armor Bypass Crits. 2 is just far harder than 1 on the whole.
Well, yes - you won't become unkillable. But anyway, if you play your cards right, it's not an easy task to die. Opening yourself to enemy fire is the last thing to do if you want to stay alive, obviously. And sneaking skill lets you choose your fights and separate large groups for more comfortable exterminating. Gauss and Pulse rifle are the best weapons in the game, so their wielders should be dispatched ASAP. Rest is trivial.

visions

Arcane
Dishonourable mention for Grurn in Morrowind: Siege at Firemoth. Guy has extremely high health regen and can one-shot you, The only way to win is to cheese him with reflect stacking.

Speaking of Morrowind, that wood elf fucker in Mournhold's temple district was quite a pain in the ass. IIRC I cheesed him by buffing my acrobatics, hopping on a rooftop and shooting him to death (which isn't exactly rocket scientist level of tactics) but he was hard to hit so it took a while and I still remember this fight with trepidation.

Replaying Morrowind, not looking forward to meeting him again. The fact that there was nothing fun about defeating him, just pure tedium (at least the way I did it), combined with the fact that it was difficult to avoid fighting him once he had turned hostile, is what makes it stand out compared to some of the vastly better things that have been mentioned here (like for instance KOTC or the final battle in Dark Sun). For example the prospect of fighting the final battle in Dark Sun again does not demoralize me, since the battle was fun and tactical and I'd look forward to trying it again. But painfully hard enemies who take long to kill, in games without enjoyable tactical party-based combat, are in a completely different ballpark of infuriating.

EDIT: Gaenor was his name.

Last edited:

jackofshadows

Magister
Fallout: Doesn't matter if Chosen = absolute-max-optimized dmg sponge -- lethality remains.
Yes (in general) but not really. It's quite obvious for a proper min-maxer that due to inability to entirely negate crit hits one simply should pump HP as much as he can
Cqz57vV.png

This way, coupled with bloated char's offence lethality becomes almost non-existent, I cleared Navarro/Rig w/o any reloads quite easily. But again, it's minmaxing how it is, and for any "normal" playthrough taken crit hits are indeed maintain that feel of vulnerability, although in a rather blunt fashion.

jac8awol

Arbiter
Ha, to my eternal shame, I had this with Irenicus in the final battle of Baldurs Gate 2. I tried about 3 times in a row, full party wipe. Then my friend comes over, no stranger to RPGs but he hadn't put in 50 hours of BG2 sweat the way I had. Asks if he can give it a shot, I'm like yeah knock yourself out buddy. His first try he mauls Jon in the gonads so bad. Finishes the game. End credits roll. I'm just sitting there holding back the tears.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
https://dragonage.fandom.com/wiki/Codex_entry:_Ser_Cauthrien
When you do her in a fair way without melee specialized character. Aka no freezing or other underhanded tactic, and you honestly run out of lyrium potions before end.
Yeah, that encounter is brutal, especially compared to the rest of the game, but it's still nothing compared to the Harvester at the end of The Golems of Amgarrak or the golems room in that same DLC. I don't think I've ever managed to beat them fairly.

jackofshadows

Magister
You don't have to pump HP if you can prevent people shooting at you! Stealth (and restealthing in combat) and breaking the line of sight are always your allies.
These approaches are not mutually exclusive. Stealth in combat is nice and abusing the line of sight goes without saying. Thing is, even when min-maxing, there's not much ways to pump those extra END points elsewhere.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Fallout: Doesn't matter if Chosen = absolute-max-optimized dmg sponge -- lethality remains.
Yes (in general) but not really. It's quite obvious for a proper min-maxer that due to inability to entirely negate crit hits one simply should pump HP as much as he can
Cqz57vV.png

This way, coupled with bloated char's offence lethality becomes almost non-existent, I cleared Navarro/Rig w/o any reloads quite easily. But again, it's minmaxing how it is, and for any "normal" playthrough taken crit hits are indeed maintain that feel of vulnerability, although in a rather blunt fashion.
I remember miniguns crit for 400.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
One of the hardest fights I can remember was the BG1 Bandit Camp with SCS - Better Calls For Help. Pretty much the entire camp comes at you in waves (including the mini-bosses in the tents) which makes more sense than going to each cluster of bandits and wiping them out. SCS also makes the bandits and the magic users with them smarter so it was loads of fun. One of the few times you really need to use all the crap in you inventory (wands, scrolls, potions) and plan your assault.

Of course if you have been roaming the countryside farming XP from the random encounters its not quit as hard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom