Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Has your opinion of Obsidian changed after Avellone’s revelations and Deadfire?

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
And still both of them is shitty. It's just if you are actively pursuing it, you are even more rotten to the core. Congrats, you are not as rotten as an SJW, you are just half as rotten.
Wrong. There is a good reason why people are not prosecuted for thinking things (well, for now anyway), only for doing. It is the same reason why thought policing is considered by non-lefties as a bad thing, and it is not because the lefties are all for it.
Of course it is not prosecuted (thankfully). But if you think wishing someone to lose his/her job, when he/she didn't do anything wrong is not a bad thing, then you are just as scummy as SJWs.

I'm pretty sure these people didn't leave because they thought Obsidian is a shitty place.
Is that because it is the truth or because it is the interpretation that supports your thesis?

Surely even you admit that it is a pretty weak argument to make, being completely without a shred of evidence and so coincidentally bolstering your assertion.
I have just as much evidence to my theory as you have to yours.
WTF are you doing posting in this SJW, cuck site? Sound too reasonable to post here. These autistic cucks never had a job. They get supported by their wife's boyfriend. It's sad.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
And for all the enjoyment you have of Obsidian's games, you don't have the faith that its employees will be courted by better employers, those currently existing companies who would only grow to fill the vacuum in the market when a competitor goes down?
We know that the management has infighting and questionable decisions, but we also know from Anthony Davis that the regular devs are treated well. There is a chance that they like working at Obsidian and they don't want it to fail. Otherwise they would have probably moved on to other companies.
They will when they get fired :lol:

Cael

Arcane
And yes, losing a job is a bad thing, and if you don't think it is, you either never had a job, or never lost a job you needed to feed your family.
:whatho:
Don't you guys,you know,save money for rainy days??? A man should always have money fort least 3-6 months of joblessness. If you can't take care of your family for a month without a job....i don't know what to say mate.
Jesus Christ, you are really so out of this world that you think that everyone has it as good as you? Wake the fuck up, not everyone has such a good paying job. Many people are poor, or make just enough to pay the rent and food.
Or, we are sick of fucking millenials crying about how poor they are and how hard done they are when they couldn't buy a house when given a 1.8 million budget.

Get lost, you entitled shits.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
And yes, losing a job is a bad thing, and if you don't think it is, you either never had a job, or never lost a job you needed to feed your family.
:whatho:
Don't you guys,you know,save money for rainy days??? A man should always have money fort least 3-6 months of joblessness. If you can't take care of your family for a month without a job....i don't know what to say mate.
Jesus Christ, you are really so out of this world that you think that everyone has it as good as you? Wake the fuck up, not everyone has such a good paying job. Many people are poor, or make just enough to pay the rent and food.
Or, we are sick of fucking millenials crying about how poor they are and how hard done they are when they couldn't buy a house when given a 1.8 million budget.

Get lost, you entitled shits.
I think I wasn't calling you names, so please stop calling me an entitled shit. Especially when I'm not a millenial (maybe I'm even older than you, who knows). Also, I can never dream of buying a house for 1.8 million dollars, I will be happy if I can buy a small flat sometimes in the future.

But let me blow your mind, there are poor people out there who are actually poor, and not millenials who are crying for a 1.8 million dollar house.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
J_C

OnTheEdge.png

...just sayin.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
You know who else wishes that people affiliated with things they don't like lose their job and live a miserable life?

SJWs.
There is a difference between wishing and hoping, and actually actively pursuing such an outcome.

Guess which one describes SJWs.
The differences is logistical, not moral, though. People who actively pursue such outcome simply have the time and resource to do that.

Has my opnion changed about Obshitian?

Not much.

Fagass Cuckhard had failed time and again to create a decent TB crpgs.

Also i don't like fat people.

Chris's reveal just further validated my justified opinions about the ineptitude of Obsidian and how fat people are greedy.

Quillon

Arcane
I'm pretty sure these people didn't leave because they thought Obsidian is a shitty place.
Is that because it is the truth or because it is the interpretation that supports your thesis?

Surely even you admit that it is a pretty weak argument to make, being completely without a shred of evidence and so coincidentally bolstering your assertion.

Evidence is Stormlands cancellation etc that they had lay off a lot of people, the official story. Do you know anything about those 52(?) people leaving cos they were treated badly?
Son, hiring people when you need them and then firing them when you are done using them is treating them badly. "You have outlived your usefulness" is said by no good ruler ever.

Grandson, firing people to stay afloat isn't the same thing as firing them to make more profit. Stormlands lay offs(most of the people listed by MCA) was for the former reason. Obs prolly done both of these things as does any other company, lets hope every company to fail and no more games to be made then...except for small indie teams who ain't big enough to do these atrocious things yet.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Son, hiring people when you need them and then firing them when you are done using them is treating them badly. "You have outlived your usefulness" is said by no good ruler ever.

While that might be true in the common sense world, it's not really true in video game development. Hiring and firing ruthlessly on a per-project basis like that is standard industry procedure. It might be "treating them badly" but then you'd also have to agree the entire video game industry treats their employees badly, so Obsidian is nothing special in that particular area.

Cael

Arcane
You know who else wishes that people affiliated with things they don't like lose their job and live a miserable life?

SJWs.
There is a difference between wishing and hoping, and actually actively pursuing such an outcome.

The differences is logistical, not moral, though. People who actively pursue such outcome simply have the time and resource to do that.
Wrong.

Watching a movie where people get massacred, raped and tortured is not the same as actually doing any of the deeds.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

SJWs.

Wrong.

Watching a movie where people get massacred, raped and tortured is not the same as actually doing any of the deeds.
Bad analogy. It is wishing people to get massacred and tortured but not doing it. Even though it is not punishable, but still fucked up.

Cael

Arcane

While that might be true in the common sense world, it's not really true in video game development. Hiring and firing ruthlessly on a per-project basis like that is standard industry procedure. It might be "treating them badly" but then you'd also have to agree the entire video game industry treats their employees badly, so Obsidian is nothing special in that particular area.
That does not invalidate my point that it is bad practice.

Giving them a contract to complete the project (which is what project management can be like) is a better way of doing things if that is the way the industry is structured. This is existing practice in other fields. That the whole industry doesn't do that is an indictment of the industry. You are not going to get an argument from me there.

Note, however, that I am against Feargus, not Obsidian, and it is because of his discriminatory and nepotistic management style. That was made clear when I stated:

I have a personal objection to adding to the success (or perception thereof) of people I consider to be assholes. That, coupled with having had bad managers in my career who did display favouritism on a massive scale as well as coming up against bullying, harassment and racism so outrageous that even the clients were commenting on it, makes me care enough to boycott anything by Feargus and stardick (HBS, Vampyr and Kingmaker is a separate issue).

I was merely pointing out the absurdity and weakness of J_C's arguments.

Cael

Arcane
Bad analogy. It is wishing people to get massacred and tortured but not doing it. Even though it is not punishable, but still fucked up.
In your mind, perhaps, and that of your fellow soybois.

However, the law doesn't see it that way, and rightfully draw the distinction between thought and action. Incitement to massacre and torture, on the other hand, IS illegal and rightly so as that is an action.

You might not like to admit it, but EVERYONE has wished another ill at some point in time. That is human nature.

Cael

Arcane
But let me blow your mind, there are poor people out there who are actually poor, and not millenials who are crying for a 1.8 million dollar house.
Let me blow yours: Westerners have no concept of poverty. What they call poverty is a 6-figure USD salary and the reason they call poverty is because they waste it all on holidays, alcohol, expensive food, rental in the best part of town and other such crap, and end up being unable to afford a home as a result.

Come to Asia and let your eyes be opened to what real poverty is. I have ZERO sympathy for Westerners who cry poor, given that I live in a Western country and my first salary was less than US$15000 a year (less than 1/3 the average wage of Australia), and I am still able to not only live comfortably, but also buy my own domicile.

Cael

Arcane
You might not like to admit it, but EVERYONE has wished another ill at some point in time. That is human nature.
Of course, but that makes it a good thing to do?
Irrelevant. It happens. It is not illegal. And morally, as long as it doesn't ACTIVELY hurt someone else, it is neutral.

And THAT is the difference between wishing ill and actually doing ill.

Cael

Arcane
Grandson, firing people to stay afloat isn't the same thing as firing them to make more profit. Stormlands lay offs(most of the people listed by MCA) was for the former reason. Obs prolly done both of these things as does any other company, lets hope every company to fail and no more games to be made then...except for small indie teams who ain't big enough to do these atrocious things yet.
Son, the fact that you admit that it is atrocious should clue you in on the weakness of your argument. If a company is too stupid to employ not only the right people but the right number of people, then it deserves to go under.

Sizzle

Arcane
Has my opinion changed - sure. Like many here, I had a different image of Obsidian, one of a place of (attempted) innovation, and one of the few remaining bastions where a good RPG could be produced.

The difference being that I continue believing it's a good thing they're still around - even if their games are subpar in many ways, they do contribute to ideas that benefit the greater RPG genre as a whole. For example, Tyranny's hyperlink system, that's already being used in games like Kingmaker in order to cut down on exposition and lore dumps.

Quillon

Arcane
Son, the fact that you admit that it is atrocious should clue you in on the weakness of your argument. If a company is too stupid to employ not only the right people but the right number of people, then it deserves to go under.

I was being sarcastic with the exaggeration my grandson. You clearly don't have a fucking clue how any company works, in what utopic world are you living in? If you wish Obs to fail for firing people, then don't be a hypocrite and wish every other company to fail also.

Cael

Arcane

I was being sarcastic with the exaggeration my grandson. You clearly don't have a fucking clue how any company works, in what utopic world are you living in? If you wish Obs to fail for firing people, then don't be a hypocrite and wish every other company to fail also.
Learn to read, son. I said that any company that overhire and fire in a panic should go under. Fortunately, in the real world, few companies actually do that on a regular basis.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

SJWs.

Wrong.

Oh,so you will run in a machete wielding mob while armed with a pen to defend the honour of some blue haired cunt?

Quillon

Arcane
Fortunately, in the real world, few companies actually do that on a regular basis.

They do, especially game companies as people have been saying here, get your eyes checked and get informed about game industry my grandson.

Just admit that you want them to fail cos they kicked MCA's cat and stop with the bullshit that you want them to fail on morality grounds.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
I'd say they boxed themselves in to be a "more of the same" type developer exploiting nostalgia. They do add new mechanics to the genre, like the combined attacks in Tyranny, or the bard songs in PoE and the ship sailing in PoE2, but its very little. Look at how much more Divinity Original Sin or Tides of Numenera did, good and bad, but different.
I don't know about the other Obsidian fanboys, but I don't want the same game with (slightly) better visual and audio assets, I want a new game with the old philosophy in mind. Thats what cRPG is meant to be, a philosophy, not the exact same old mechanics from when we first started porting pen&paper to PC.
I guess they are feeling the pressure from all the bad reviews they got of the attribute system in PoE, but really its the movement in the world and the combat they should be innovating, and maybe the dialogue system. They had a good attempt with Alpha Protocol.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom