Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've decided to swap out a Northshire Cleric and a Loot Hoarder for two ogres. Shadow Madness seems too useful to not run 2, though.

I was a bit sceptic about running Onyxia too, but hey, Trump rated her as one of the best legendaries, so maybe she's not that bad.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Trump's rankings are Arena-specific, which means they're a) class-neutral and b) do not account for the fact that you can switch it out for "any other card". Don't get me wrong, Onyxia is a good card regardless, but for priests there may be better non-legendary cards. If you find yourself falling behind regularly consider switching it out for something that is slightly lower-cost but higher effect-for-cost (like an ogre or a temple enforcer).

Iadore shadow goodness and wouldn't switch it out for anything. It's too good, especially with how rush-focused many arena decks are. It and Cabal Shadow Priests can make for some pretty playable anti-aggro. If you had a cabal shadow priest I would perhaps argue for swapping one shadow madness for her but since you don't, this balance works out.
Mind Control Tech would be a minor recommend if you tweak this deck into a full-on "change your mind" anti-aggro. Aggro is definitely the name of the game as you climb higher, which is where Priests can struggle.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
shadow madness is pretty good for arena, yeah, but in constructed there's a stricter mana curve and you can easily find yourself in a situation where you draw it late and won't have any use of it.

priests struggle almost solely because of the popularity of 4 attack minions.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That makes sense. You can tell I haven't played Ranked this year at all, haha, my mind is always on Arena.

Well, Monstrous Bat can just see how it plays. If he often finds himself unable to use more than one per match, then cut one! It is very good against aggro tho, and Hunter/Warlock/Warrior aggro are all ridiculously popular.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Just had the most hilarious victory. Constructed match against another priest on my priest. Generally he played badly doubling health on inexplicable minions like Alchemist, etc. but early on I used Thoughtsteal and got... his Thoughtsteal and Faceless Manipulator. I then use the additional Thoughtsteal and get... something else (can't remember) and his OTHER Faceless Manipulator. Keep in mind... I have two of my own and shorty before turn ten I now have FOUR Faceless Manipulators in my hand. He's down to one card so I take the chance it's not mind control. Play Ysera. He doesn't do much next turn. Then I play two of the Faceless manipuatlors... THREE Ysera! He continues to dick around because he doesn't have much and... next turn... FIVE Ysera! Actually now that I think about it he used Mind Control to take one. So he had one (which I silenced) and I had the other four. Sadly I wasn't using Steam overlay or have a screenshot app handy (couldn't get it to copy to clipboard). Obviously I had a lot of cards vanish because of hand overload but a few 0 mana 5/5 boost nightmare cards and it was over shortly after.

(Too bad I don't have Ragnaros, that would have been funnier.)

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
You don't need Steam or a screenshot app, press Print Screen and it takes a shot, places it on your desktop.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah I thought I had done that but like I said it didn't seem to copy it over. So sad. The odds on such a situation are crazy. Didn't even realize I got his other Faceless Manipulator until a couple turns later I looked at my hand and was shocked to see four.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
well you could just press printscreen and copy-paste it into paint.
alt+printscreen if you run it in windowed.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
A great man once said:

Yeah I thought I had done that but like I said it didn't seem to copy it over.

N-e-ways, I didn't think to check to see it had copied until the match was over.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Got another legendary... but it's Malygos. Probably one of the worst.

Got another legendary... but it's Malygos. Probably one of the worst.
I actually lost a couple times to druids running malygos. They go business as usual until malygos + moonfire :M :M And once I was on the receiving end of a malygos powered swipe...

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's worked a couple of times for me in conjunction with Faceless Manipulator. One warrior had me near death but couldn't kill/silence Malygos. So, next turn was manip + frostbolt + ice lance for 27 damage. I'm trying it out with my priest now adding a mind blast to my deck just in case. 7+ damage holy novas aren't bad, either.

Might have to try moonfire with druid. Since those are 0 mana cards I could put out like 30+ damage on the turn after with manipulator.

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
So I've been drafting on arena as beastmaster and had Malygos as an option. Twice. Ignored it both times. Ironic isn't it? To get legendaries finally only for them to be super shit. At least I grabbed a Leroy and Lors Crush instead.

Renegen

Arcane
If anyone wants to add me, name's Renegen. I managed to snag that off Battlenet even though I just started playing yesterday. So far I like the Mage, she seems quite versatile, I prefer it over having a set strategy.

Mystary!

Arcane
Started playing recently, so far enjoying the Hunter the most, Unleash the Hounds!

Renegen names are not unique :roll: Theyre followed by a identification number, like Mystary #2372 (on eu)

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
Mindgames + Faceless Manipulator x 2 :smug:

21o636h.jpg

Renegen

Arcane
I went on a Heartstone deckbuilding site trying to find what's the optimal mana distribution for decks and I came out with a basic Ranger deck written by someone else. Five straight wins, this game is so dumb.

An earlier game today I played against a Shaman. I don't have much early but I put 2 Starving Buzzards on the board, wondering if they stack. One turn later and several 1 mana summons, yeah they stack. :lol: I out-zerged the Shaman...

Grinolf

Arcane
I went on a Heartstone deckbuilding site trying to find what's the optimal mana distribution for decks and I came out with a basic Ranger deck written by someone else. Five straight wins, this game is so dumb.

An earlier game today I played against a Shaman. I don't have much early but I put 2 Starving Buzzards on the board, wondering if they stack. One turn later and several 1 mana summons, yeah they stack. :lol: I out-zerged the Shaman...

On higher ranks aggro isn't that overpowered since control decks would have better cards to counter it. Still I don't understand why anyone would allow Starving Buzzards to stay alive, if he wasn't badly overloaded at that turn of course, which means that he already misplayed it earlier.

Mystary!

Arcane
My thoughts exactly. He shoudve killed them the moment you put them out. Its better to save Starving Buzzards for when you can combo them with something else in the same turn, like a taunt or Unleash the Hounds!

Grinolf

Arcane
What's a control deck and how do you play it?

It's a decks that specialized in countering enemy plays and making favorable trades, keeping the enemy board clear. And then destroying their opponent in the late game with some combo or/and big creatures and legendaries. Like control Warrior would likely only clear up all your minions and keep armoring up while not making any single point of damage to you. But one turn he would just play Alexstrasza and you suddenly at 15 HP and die in the next turn.

Renegen

Arcane
I think I faced something like that in Arena, one was a Warrior that kept armoring up and another a Priest that kept healing. Both saved a whole bunch of Taunt cards after they cleared my board with aoe and then comboed that with a high damage card I just could never kill.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom