Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Last three booster packs I've gotten have been crap, too.
Well, ALL of my booster packs so far have been crap. Just single rares every time, and not even particularly good ones (Mana Wraith, lol).

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
For some reason Hearthstone delights in giving me only class legendaries. I own Archmage Antonidas, Prophet Velin and Edwin VanCleef. And Gelbin, I suppose, coz I bought my first booster packs coz why not.

I have enough dust piled up anyway to craft any legendary I'd like but I can't really be bothered. I never play ranked anyway.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looking at This Table, I see that I was pretty screwed by the reward RNG in my first two runs. 40 dust from two wins and 30 dust from one win is the absolute minimum you can get, and this is exactly what I received.
At least I got 135 gold from my 6-win run, which is not terrible.

Grinolf

Arcane
Then I'd recommend staying away from taking too many support/AoE cards and go for minions overall for board advantage. Having a 3+ of the same cards is usually detrimental to the deck overall, exceptions being Stormforged Axe/Truesilver/Fiery Axe and legendaries.

I don't think that's true. AoE is very good in arena and like of it is serious drawback to even overall very strong deck, that could cost you a game. And very unlikely, that you would face a situation, when you have too many flamestrikes/swipes and refuse to take the next one. Lighting Storm, Consentration, Starfall are not that good, but the other card shown be really good or curve be pretty screwed for not taking the third one.
Also there is enough card, that you would want in 3 copy or more: Fireboll, Yeti, Argent Commander, Fire Elemental, Argent Protector, Ancient of War to name a few.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
My Paladin arena run ended in a predictable 0-3, and only one game was a contest, I was completely destroyed in the other two. I've learned a few things in the process, though, of which the most important one is probably: don't play as the paladin.

I've started the next with a druid. Already faring much better at 2-0, although one of these was against a guy who clearly did not know what he was doing and tried to rush me with Rogue hero ability for 5 turns straight when I still was at around 25 health (???).

Also: my friend, who I introduced to the game, decided to ply as a warlock and then found Jaraxxus in the second pack he opened. There's no justice in the world.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Someone linked to decent list a few pages back. Here it is: Arena Cards List.
that up to date?
thanks anyway.
Definitely up to date. Check the changelog if you don't believe me.
My Paladin arena run ended in a predictable 0-3, and only one game was a contest, I was completely destroyed in the other two. I've learned a few things in the process, though, of which the most important one is probably: don't play as the paladin.
I dunno, a lot of people say that paladins are pretty great in arena. Personally, my first two paladin runs went pretty badly, ending 3-3 and 4-3 respectively, but my third run ended at 9-3, which is tied with one of my mage runs as my best arena runs. I think the paladin class is fine, you just have to familiarize yourself with how the various class cards work.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Paladin is one of the top classes in arena, along with Mage and Shaman. Per arena mastery's sitewide stats those 3 win the most games, while warrior, warlock and oddly enough priest win the least (go figure).

Personally I do best with Druid (7 win avg), shaman (6.6), Hunter (6) and Paladin (5.4). Each class takes some work to learn though.

Also man, I'm stuck in a total 6-3 funk. Last four runs went warrior 6-3 (an awesome draft with two molten giants and like three fiery winaxes, I did not do it justice), priest 4-3, mage 6-3, rogue 6-3. It's the curse of 6-3!!
EDIT: more annoying is somehow I got dust in each of those 6-3s, meaning I got only 80, 75 and 80 gold. That sucks!

LeJosh

Savant
I got Leeroy on a 3-3 run, boosted my Warrior aggro deck by a lot.

I've been quite unlucky recently with the picks in Arena: plus I hate getting commons after a run too. Waste of a cube, man.

Last edited:

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
I'm stuck in a total 6-3 funk. Last four runs went warrior 6-3 (an awesome draft with two molten giants and like three fiery winaxes, I did not do it justice), priest 4-3, mage 6-3, rogue 6-3. It's the curse of 6-3!!
EDIT: more annoying is somehow I got dust in each of those 6-3s, meaning I got only 80, 75 and 80 gold. That sucks!

Yeah complain more about your sucky 6-3 runs, poor thing. Rub it into noses of us struggling to achieve a 3-3 every time.

UUHQyJ0.jpg

Just kidding, obviously.

Grinolf

Arcane
But it's true, that for some decks 6 wins look like very weak result. Yesterday I played as warrior with Deathwing, Gorehowl, Brawl and with the whole bunch from good to great cards with a good curve. That deck looked like the one, that wins 9 times without much problems. But in reality it won only 6 ones and 2 from 3 loses were against priests for god sake. Not the least because of enemy bomber killing my 3-2 basically ending the game right here, or because of Brawl failing to kill Onyxia.
And getting half of your reward in dust only made that run mlook more like meh. Good thing, that I now have enough money, so that wasn't a big problem. But few more of such "rewards" and I again would be dependent on quests.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Paladin is one of the top classes in arena, along with Mage and Shaman. Per arena mastery's sitewide stats those 3 win the most games, while warrior, warlock and oddly enough priest win the least (go figure).

Personally I do best with Druid (7 win avg), shaman (6.6), Hunter (6) and Paladin (5.4). Each class takes some work to learn though.

Also man, I'm stuck in a total 6-3 funk. Last four runs went warrior 6-3 (an awesome draft with two molten giants and like three fiery winaxes, I did not do it justice), priest 4-3, mage 6-3, rogue 6-3. It's the curse of 6-3!!

You poor poor dear.

... and I again would be dependent on quests.

0 n0es!

Grinolf

Arcane
I take back my words about dust. Apparently get it as reward isn't sucks as much compared getting as reward common not gold card. Why it even possible to have such reward for 7 wins? More so, in the pack from that run I found the exact same card and I already have one example of it, which make that reward even more useless.
It may not sound that bad, but I am currently have 14 rank in constructed. And the only classes, that viable at that point with my current cards, are Shaman and Mage. So I have very limited number of quests, that I could easy complete.

Zeriel

Arcane
No class is actually terrible in arena, but you have to understand them inside and out. That's one of my greatest complaints with arena--randomness of drafts is fine, but randomizing what class you can pick is a pretty low blow. I have thousands of games of constructed with Paladin and Druid, and as a result can get at least 8 wins with them every time in arena, but when I'm offered other classes every single time it just becomes highway robbery.

Also, no, AoE cards are not bad. I'd rank weapons and class spell cards as the best picks, followed by a decent mana curve of minions. One of my best drafts (in terms of results) was a deck with 3 Consecration, and mediocre picks otherwise.

I've had a number of 3 legendary, multiple epic drafts that burned out horribly while well-rounded class decks without a single rare or epic took me to 8 or 9 wins.

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It may not sound that bad, but I am currently have 14 rank in constructed. And the only classes, that viable at that point with my current cards, are Shaman and Mage. So I have very limited number of quests, that I could easy complete.

Play casual mode, breh!

Grinolf

Arcane
Play casual mode, breh!

And you don't meet guys with good decks there? Because aside from my Mage and Shaman deck, that are pretty solid, only Druid one is somewhat decent and other classes lack significant amount of key cards. So the most effective way to complete quests with them is to play on arena. That would be a problem if you need money from that quest in order to enter the arena in the first place.

LeJosh

Savant
Just had the most frustrating Arena run with a Shaman.

I had full board on my 2nd game with the next turn win, suddenly Deathwing.

3rd game about to win too, guy uses 3 power overwhelmings on a whelp plus a charge minion with 5 attack for 19 damage...

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Hey, at least you got a cool story out of it.

I like the arena also because stuff like that can happen.

EDIT:
My druid run is going well so far, with 5-1 (the defeat was against another druid, btw).
Now that I wrote this, it will end on 5-3, but whatever.

Also: Trump's guide to neutral epics and legendaries is out.

Last edited:

LeJosh

Savant
That's true. I went 2-3 in the end, total number of legendaries I saw were 4: hogger; onyxia, deathwing and my Barron Geddon. :D

Yeah, you get all hyped up around 5 then it just falls apart, everything you do seems to get countered. haha

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Between 5 and 7 is when you start hitting the "good deck" opponents and you have to adapt your playstyle to be more thoughtful about what momentum-changing class cards you should really expect to see (think flamestrike, mind control, consecration, swipe, etc, deck that high are really likely to have those). That's probably still my weakest spot; I don't play Hearthstone that much, I just do 2-3 arena runs in the weekend, and it's hard to keep in the rhythm of always being mindful of opponent class cards and hero powers. It can even change which cards you should keep in hand. Makes a big difference if you do it well, my relatively lack of it probably costs me 1-2 wins on average.

And yes, getting a common card as one of your cubes sucks ass. They should really pull that for any good arena run (say 5-6 wins or up). They do seem pretty uncommon, in general they seem to have changed the balance so you get gold most commonly, then dust, and only then cards, but it still sucks when it happens.

EDIT2: woooh got Ragnaros from a pack. That'll save me some dust.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Play casual mode, breh!

And you don't meet guys with good decks there? Because aside from my Mage and Shaman deck, that are pretty solid, only Druid one is somewhat decent and other classes lack significant amount of key cards. So the most effective way to complete quests with them is to play on arena. That would be a problem if you need money from that quest in order to enter the arena in the first place.

Just STFU entirely then?

BN can STFU, too, with his massive wins and lucky boosters. First world problems, dawg.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I've gone back to enjoying Rogue again. I'm having some success playing it in a control manner, rather than rush like most people seem to do.

I'm also loving Blood Knight. So many people are running squires and crusaders and shit. You get at least a 6/6 almost half the time.

Gord

Arcane
New to the party...
Are there any good newb guides?

So far I have most success and fun with a Paladin, I still suck at it, but at least I get more consistent wins and have a somewhat nice deck in the making (or so I think).

Yesterday I got the quest to win 2 games as either a druid or hunter.
I've decided on druid, leveled him up with training mode and then found out that I suck hard at playing a druid.
I always ended up without cards by mid-game, at which point I will be overwhelmed. And of course all cards I draw are useless (in that situation).
Eventually I found two suckers that lost against me, but yeah, I guess I'll stay away from druid for now.
Although my last victory was quite fun - my hero was down to 2 health, had one minion or so left, and I guess the other guy was already celebrating, but in what would have been the last round anyway, I made a lucky draw, could damage his hero with a spell card, buff my remaining minion and finished him off instead.

Last edited:
Spent mah dust at crafting Ragnaros and Cairne, first time with Rag I hit an enemy paladin in the face 4 times in a row in spite of plenty other targets ))) He didn't wp...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom