Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You also get a lot of gold for beating all of the AI classes on normal and then on expert. And also leveling all classes to 10 to unlock all basic cards. Also also 300 gold at 100 wins (and it does count practice wins against the AI). Should be enough for 4-5 booster packs. At this stage of the beta you're going to run into people who have been playing much longer and have better cards. So... basically you're going to get beaten a lot.

Here's my shaman deck which I reached lvl 10 with just now (original deck do not steal). pls critique:

XjhXMx2.jpg

AWaa5Zb.jpg

It's a bit different from other shaman deck from what I've seen. A couple comments:
I went with one hammer since, idk, it seems i get too low on health to properly use the charged on even one
I have one unbound elemental and one scarlet crusader to check out how well scarlet works, it's mostly an experiment
I dropped feral spirit. Frankly the popularity of the card baffles me - total fo 5 mana for 4/6 worth of stats is mediocre, and the distribution of stats here is particularly bad. One single 3/3 can kill both spirits.
Wild pyromancers were a recent addition because I was loosing to fast decks. They replaced sen'jin. So far have had mixed success. Discuss! Merits of pyromancer pls
I only have one azure drake :( if not I'd probably replace rock elemental with a second one.
Flametounge totem always looked like a win more card to me, even if all pros use it. Anyone know why? In my own experience it's not so good.
I didn't manage to jam a lava burst in there anywhere.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
you don't have a whole lot of overload so I'm thinking perhaps there could be something better than unbound? clerics, maybe

Grinolf

Arcane
I've decided on druid, leveled him up with training mode and then found out that I suck hard at playing a druid.
I always ended up without cards by mid-game, at which point I will be overwhelmed. And of course all cards I draw are useless (in that situation).
Wait, how you managed to stay without card in the midgame with the class that are mostly about late game? But you definitely should add two Gnomish Inventors. I am not so sure about Novice Engineers, though. It looked pretty good before, but after it's nerf that card seems more like "throw away a card, pick another one."
Also if you have card problem you probably run with two Innervate/Wild Growth, and I don't think you should do that. Innervate is very good in the early and mid game, but it's horrible in the late game. And drawing two of them in the late game almost certainly would be a disaster. Wild Growth much better to draw in the late game than Innervate, but it useless during the mid game, so if you draw it in that time, it would be a death weight until turn 10. Better to have one of each and pick more minions instead.
It's a bit different from other shaman deck from what I've seen. A couple comments:
I went with one hammer since, idk, it seems i get too low on health to properly use the charged on even one
I have one unbound elemental and one scarlet crusader to check out how well scarlet works, it's mostly an experiment
I dropped feral spirit. Frankly the popularity of the card baffles me - total fo 5 mana for 4/6 worth of stats is mediocre, and the distribution of stats here is particularly bad. One single 3/3 can kill both spirits.
Wild pyromancers were a recent addition because I was loosing to fast decks. They replaced sen'jin. So far have had mixed success. Discuss! Merits of pyromancer pls
I only have one azure drake :( if not I'd probably replace rock elemental with a second one.
Flametounge totem always looked like a win more card to me, even if all pros use it. Anyone know why? In my own experience it's not so good.
I didn't manage to jam a lava burst in there anywhere.
Scarlet Crusader looks very out of place. It didn't look like it have synergy with any other card and it have anti synergy with Wild Pyromancers. Also with healing totem Divine Shield should be less an issue.
Feral spirits are good with Unbound Elementals, Pagle, Mana Tide Totem and Flametounge Totem. It both allow you to make a favorable trades and make it hard for your enemy to deal with all your's annoying cards.
Flametounge totem in some cases are better than DID. Buff from DID last only one turn and affect only one minion, while Flametounge totem with the right placement could affect all your totems, that allow you to make some favorable trades in that turn. You could swap Juggler for it.
I would like to have at least one Pyromancers since in theory it look quite good against murloc decks. And murloc decks are currently only ones that I meet, against which I stood no chance. And I even managed to score against control warrior with whole bunch of legendaries with my mostly basic cards.
Earth Elemental don't look that great to me, since it more all or nothing card and I prefer more consistent onrs.
Also what your game plan with this deck? Clear the board with spells an exhaust your opponent while your Elemental is growing?

Gord

Arcane
Wait, how you managed to stay without card in the midgame with the class that are mostly about late game? But you definitely should add two Gnomish Inventors.

I obviously didn't. Guess it was a mixture of wrong cards and bad luck with drawing. I had added Inventors and Novice engineers to the deck, but that didn't help. Maybe I'll revisit the Druid eventually when I have some more cards that might help, but for now I'll stay with Paladin and explore the Rogue a bit, I think.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I personally always build shaman around board control and usually finishing with a good bloodlust, so I focus a lot on favorable trades and unit buffing. OTOH I don't sit on two of the best legendaries in the game.

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
well i just get raped in Arena, my opponents seem to have good cards all the time its madness.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think Brother None just keeps track of his runs manually.

My Druid adventure ended in 6-3, but it could be at least 8-3 if i stayed focused, because the second and third loss were entirely my fault and I made a ton of stupid mistakes.

Time for a Rogue run. I have no idea what I'm doing here and I think I've just drafted a terrible deck. We'll see.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Personally I do best with Druid (7 win avg), shaman (6.6), Hunter (6) and Paladin (5.4). Each class takes some work to learn though.
where do you get these stats from? you just keep count or use some third party app? the hs client seems woefully lacking for that sorta stuff
It is. I initially just kept a spreadsheet with win totals and gold, but then I discovered the arena mastery website. You do have to input results manually but it's easy to use and can track not just your win-ratio per class and reward types but even how you do going up against classes and how you do going first or with the coin etc.

My stats are here. A lot of it is pretty inaccurate if you look at lifetime because I didn't really used to track rewards or going up against classes that accurately, so the only things accurate for lifetime stats is win-ratio, even gold rewards total is too low because I didn't track that initially.
More accurate stat-keeping starts if you just look at "since the start of this ranked season" for instance; 7 arenas, 5.43 win per arena average, 6 wins the most common result, or last month similar stats; 5.07 wins per arena over 29 arenas, 6 wins most common. 119 gold avg per arena allows me to just barely break even with quests.

Grinolf

Arcane
My stats are here. A lot of it is pretty inaccurate if you look at lifetime because I didn't really used to track rewards or going up against classes that accurately, so the only things accurate for lifetime stats is win-ratio, even gold rewards total is too low because I didn't track that initially.

3.86 wins per arena as muge compared to 4.14 ones as Priest? I find it very hard to believe.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That's low volume statistics for you, I just don't have that many runs so there'll be some odd statistical variance. The difference is basically made by my early runs, when I didn't know what I was doing, with a mage going 1-3 and a priest 5-3. Take out those two and it's 4.33 mage avg and 4 priest avg.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Another day, another shitty booster pack. I need some of BN's gold.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Yeah I guess it does work well with four of the best warriors legendaries and a Gorehowl.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That looks like a fun deck. I particularly like the use of Hogger, who at first seems a bit counterintuitive but he synergizes really well with both Leeroy and the Frothing Berserkers.

I should build a simple-to-play deck like that or a Warmurloc (I do have all the Murloc cards) some day. I don't play nearly enough Ranked.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
So, after grinding arena for a month, I decided it's finally time for me to build my first budget deck. The result was this:
2x Holy Smite
2x Power Word: Shield
Northshire Cleric
2x Shadow Word: Pain
2x Acidic Swamp Ooze
Faerie Dragon
2x Loot Hoarder
2x Shadow Word: Death
Thoughtsteal
Harvest Golem
Shattered Sun Cleric
2x Shadow Madness
2x Chillwind Yeti
2x Sen'jin Shieldmasta
2x Holy Nova
Azure Drake
Argent Commander
Temple Enforcer
Onyxia
Mind Control
TBH I'd rather not play priests, but the game just kept dumping priest cards on me. Two Shadow Madness but not a single Arathi Weaponsmith? WTF?

I'm running Onyxia as kind of a poor man's Ysera. Would've preferred Ragnaros or Cairne or even Sylvanas, but oh well.

Let's see how far this deck will get me.

Grinolf

Arcane
So, after grinding arena for a month, I decided it's finally time for me to build my first budget deck. The result was this:

From what I am seeing, there is currently one strong priest deck, that run 2 Injured Blademasters and 2 Circles of Healing. That combination both give you 4-7 on turn 3 and make your Hero Power useful much earlier in the game. Not sure if any other Priest decks are viable.
Also you have too much low health minions, which is bad for Priest, and to many 2 mana ones.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Onyxia is just not that good a legendary either for priests to be frank. Little chumpsicle whelps are fine for some combos but priests have nothing of the sort. I'd sooner take an ogre there. The legendary cards aren't always the best cards.

Grinolf "are viable" is overstating it, he just wants to jump into Ranked and that deck will probably do ok quite a ways in. Not every deck has to be built to reach legendary right off the bat.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
2x Holy Smite
2x Power Word: Shield
Northshire Cleric
2x Shadow Word: Pain
2x Acidic Swamp Ooze
Faerie Dragon
2x Loot Hoarder
2x Shadow Word: Death
Thoughtsteal
Harvest Golem
Shattered Sun Cleric
2x Shadow Madness
2x Chillwind Yeti
2x Sen'jin Shieldmasta
2x Holy Nova
Azure Drake
Argent Commander
Temple Enforcer
Onyxia
Mind Control
TBH I'd rather not play priests, but the game just kept dumping priest cards on me. Two Shadow Madness but not a single Arathi Weaponsmith? WTF?

I'm running Onyxia as kind of a poor man's Ysera. Would've preferred Ragnaros or Cairne or even Sylvanas, but oh well.

Let's see how far this deck will get me.
I'd replace one of the shadow madness cards with another Harvester or Cleric.

Grinolf

Arcane
"are viable" is overstating it, he just wants to jump into Ranked and that deck will probably do ok quite a ways in. Not every deck has to be built to reach legendary right off the bat.
Maybe it wouldn't be a problem now, because this season are already close to the end, but you should already expect a decent decks from your opponents from rank 16. Also from rank 16 to rank 10, where I am currently, I don't remember seeing many Priests, exept that one crazy deck, when I get spectacularly owned.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
First 12 wins (previous high 11). Got a really tasty mage deck with 4 fireballs, 3 frostbolts, 2 flamestrikes :D:D:D
Lost versus a druid with a million druids of the claw, and a rogue with super-mongo cards, IIRC.
All the wins were rather easy. Probably the best deck I've drafted for arena, even if it doesn't have any legendaries. Mages don't really need legendaries IMO.

n1lNTkx.jpg

TqeeyMd.jpg

bMqVQY7.jpg

Fireballs, Frostbolts and Flamestrikes were the key to most victories, of course, but I felt like the Darkscale healer was surprisingly useful, and the Sunfury Protector set up some nice meatwalls with Oasis Snapjaw and Twilight Drake.
Archmage was the most useless card.
Water Elementals are damn nice versus weapon users. I could keep a rogue frozen for 3-4 turns.

Last edited:

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That looks like a fun deck. I particularly like the use of Hogger, who at first seems a bit counterintuitive but he synergizes really well with both Leeroy and the Frothing Berserkers.

I should build a simple-to-play deck like that or a Warmurloc (I do have all the Murloc cards) some day. I don't play nearly enough Ranked.

I have found Hogger to be a great value card in it self. If he stays alive he is a token maker and a big enough threat by him self that he can take away the removal cards that normally would stop me from winning.

J1M

Arcane

I have found Hogger to be a great value card in it self. If he stays alive he is a token maker and a big enough threat by him self that he can take away the removal cards that normally would stop me from winning.
I'd prefer if Hogger was a 2/6. I like the mechanic of the card, but I find that he usually dies on the first turn he is out.

CrimsonAngel

Prophet
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah Hogger can be somewhat risky and it is true that they tend to try and remove him fast, how ever getting him off the field is not always that easy and will often enough take away there removal card that could have hurt me when finally my Kill cards come into play.

Plus he is also one of the few cards that i have that stay powerful the entire game through when ever played.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom