Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Grinolf

Arcane
I think I faced something like that in Arena, one was a Warrior that kept armoring up and another a Priest that kept healing. Both saved a whole bunch of Taunt cards after they cleared my board with aoe and then comboed that with a high damage card I just could never kill.
Thankfully it's a very unlikely to see a proper control Warrior in the arena, since they need a ton of legendaries in order to function properly.You still have a chance to see them in ranked since it's a start of new season.
But speaking about arena, control decks are often could be seen from your usual late game suspects like Druids, Paladins and Priests, and also Shamans who is basically a quintessence of control playstyle. Warriors that happened to draw many weapons and Mages with bunch of spells also suit that pattern.
Also there is no proper aggro in the arena, since it need a very specific set of minions, which you unlikely to get. And as stand alone minions most of them are very bad, so drawin an aggro deck is a bad idea.

Last edited:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Arena generally doesn't follow the "he's control, he's aggro" rules of constructed. Any well-constructed arena deck tends to be about getting the best minions you can above anything else and then just maximizing the value-per-card, try to force two-for-ones etc, so it ends up feeling very control-vs-control in most games. Going into any arena draft focusing on getting a rushdown or whatever is just not a good idea, it's why the heroes that are more tuned towards rush (Hunter, Warlock, Warrior) perform weakest in arena overall.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mindgames + Faceless Manipulator x 2 :smug:
21o636h.jpg

I'm not even playing and that screen makes me hate you. ;)

bloodlover

Arcane
I've finally started to play this and my god, I suck. Is there a newb friendly deck that people use? Also, does this turn into a grindfest for gold later?

J1M

Arcane
I've finally started to play this and my god, I suck. Is there a newb friendly deck that people use? Also, does this turn into a grindfest for gold later?
There are lots of guides and discussion on the internet. I recommend playing arena, so the cards you own don't affect your chances at winning.

I've only put in $4 and I have 75% of the cards unlocked, mostly from playing arena. Could probably be higher than that, but I spend most of my dust on legendaries.

Grinolf

Arcane
Is there a newb friendly deck that people use?

Mage is a very straightforward class and alredy quite decent with only basic cards. It is one of the two classes that I use, since I don't want to spent my dust on anything that is not a legendary.

In fact, there are a pretty good videos about mage budget deck:

Of cource, for a beginner it's much better to get such strong cards as Water Elemental and Flamestrike before facing humans. And crafting commons doesn't look that good in the long term, since you likely to get them soon anyway.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
You don't want to start playing in arena until you familiarize yourself with most of the cards and classes. Play against the AI until you've unlocked level 10 (the basic cards) for all classes. Do dailies in ranked/casual.

Grinolf

Arcane
I love this game; I started two days ago. Rank 16. ^^
Mage OP.
I don't think mages could be considered OP in constructed now. It definitely the class that the least dependent on your cards, so they strong in early ranks and they, are probably the best class in arena. But in situation when everyone has all possible cards it doesn't seem like they show more than decent results.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah I am starting to hit a wall at around 12. People keep having really nice cards. I only have basic / expert.

I really want (need) an Azure Drake and a Faceless Manipulator. If I can get the two I can play around it better. It's luck-based but I should draw either Flamestrike or Manipulator at least once each game.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah I am starting to hit a wall at around 12. People keep having really nice cards. I only have basic / expert.

I really want (need) an Azure Drake and a Faceless Manipulator. If I can get the two I can play around it better. It's luck-based but I should draw either Flamestrike or Manipulator at least once each game.

Well, last night I had 3 flamestrikes in my deck at arena. Get kicked after firsts 3 games because I was super unlucky and couldn't draw any of them. (0-3...)
Also no fireball, sheep and arcane intellect or any legendaries in that deck... arena draft really likes to fuck me over and over.
Same happens at ranked with my priest deck, friggin holy novas hide themselves really good most of the time...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It does seem like the times I lose is when I don't draw my single Flamestrike.
But when I try to run with 2 Flamestrikes to avoid it I inevitably draw them both in the first 3 turns. ... yay... >.<

And this happened three times to me (when I packed 2 Flamestrikes): I'd mulligan my beginning cards because they were all 4-5 mana and get 2 Flamestrikes. GG

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I made an epic fuckup today at the arena. Opponent played Ragnaros when we entered late game and instead of killing it when I had the chance (managed to buff up a ghoul to 9 attack), I've decided to go for the face. Cue Ragnaros hitting me three times in a row, even though I had two or three minions on the board each turn. Could have easily won that. So stupid.

So far, Druid seems to be the best arena class for me, with Paladin occupying the worst spot (although I've managed to break the curse and win a couple of games). I really enjoy the shaman, but I'm not very good at playing as him.

Zeriel

Arcane
I wouldn't even say that was a mess-up. There's lots of situations where you take an educated risk, which is probabalistically the best choice on average, and end up sucking shit because you got unlucky.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I probably did not describe it very well, but in the final turn, Ragnaros aside, I had full control of the board. Had I killed him with my ghoul, I would have won the game in two turns anyway, but I gambled unnecessarily, counting on the 75% chance to survive and win next turn. That was the stupid part.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Paladin worst? It's generally one of the best classes, one I most commonly run into at the higher end. Mage still beats him probably, but not by much. I do love druid myself.

I don't think mages could be considered OP in constructed now.
Mage definitely seems to have cycled out in ranked. Top ranked seems to be almost all aggro-warrior, legendary-warrior, murloc-warlock, hand-warlock, miracle-rogue, buff-rogue, late-druid, guys-druid, standard-shaman, aggro-paladin and mid-late-paladin.

Man I haven't played Hearthstone in weeks. Should find the time.

Seeker
In My Safe Space
With the changes being made since the latest patch paladins will be a tad weaker

Secrets can now only activate on your opponent’s turn.

Activating your own secrets feels a little strange, but mostly, the ability to do this was preventing us from creating new and powerful secrets that trigger off of events you can easily control (like a minion dying). They end up functioning just like spells, instead of trying to bait your opponent into a bad play. This change keeps secrets working like traps you lay for your opponent, instead of spells that you cast and use on your own turn.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en...tch-notes-1004944-all-that-glitters-3-11-2014

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
With the changes being made since the latest patch paladins will be a tad weaker

Secrets can now only activate on your opponent’s turn.

Activating your own secrets feels a little strange, but mostly, the ability to do this was preventing us from creating new and powerful secrets that trigger off of events you can easily control (like a minion dying). They end up functioning just like spells, instead of trying to bait your opponent into a bad play. This change keeps secrets working like traps you lay for your opponent, instead of spells that you cast and use on your own turn.

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en...tch-notes-1004944-all-that-glitters-3-11-2014
Interesting, but shouldn't make a huge difference to Paladins (and none to other secret-classes). It nerfs the whole redemption-divine shield thing but that was never the most useful secret anyway and unlikely to be played in arena, the only secret that really provided an advantage was get down! and that'll be unchanged.

Interesting that the two legendaries they'd dick with are the two that are most controversial especially in "tournament" play. This nerf basically means Tinkmaster goes from a must-have especially for decks lacking hard removal like Druid to yet another completely useless random-effect lolz legendary. The Pagle nerf is good. Pagle OP.
I do wonder how it'll impact Druids as this will leave them with no valid answer to guys like Ysera, Cairne or Tyrion. They may need to rebalance Naturalize next.

That said, the most important note:
Arena

• Arena rewards at 10, 11, and 12 wins no longer reward common non-golden cards

WOOOOO!

Grinolf

Arcane
Tinkmaster is just going to be utterly destroyed as a card. Good thing that he wasn't that good for my current deck, so I didn't use him that much. But now I could create something good with dust from him, like Cairne.
Contrary to that, Pagle nerf looks very sensible.

Mage definitely seems to have cycled out in ranked. Top ranked seems to be almost all aggro-warrior, legendary-warrior, murloc-warlock, hand-warlock, miracle-rogue, buff-rogue, late-druid, guys-druid, standard-shaman, aggro-paladin and mid-late-paladin.

You forgot about hunters, both traditional "to the face" and more control ones. Also I wonder if Trump run affected legendary decks at all, since his mage proved to be competitive against many current top decks, and it should perform even better after being upgraded with some top legendaries like Cairne and Ragnaros.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I knew I forgot one class. When UTH was tweaked back into viable range to-the-face Hunter became pretty much the deck to play. They cycled out a bit more now as players are getting better at playing the board but still good.
Actually come to think of it, does this mean mage is the least common class in top-level play now, along with Shaman? Could be.

That mage-F2P thing is a secondary account of Trump's (I think he reached legendary with it? p impressive), on his main account he has every card and runs more legendary-heavy decks. I know he likes Druid so the Tinkmaster nerf will no doubt hurt for him, I have yet to see any top-level Druid deck with no Tinkmaster.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom