Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Hearthstone

Gord

Arcane
Yay, got my first legendary out of a pack: Ysera.

Grinolf

Arcane
Actually come to think of it, does this mean mage is the least common class in top-level play now, along with Shaman? Could be.
There is still Priests.
That mage-F2P thing is a secondary account of Trump's (I think he reached legendary with it? p impressive), on his main account he has every card and runs more legendary-heavy decks.

I know, but the deck that he played wasn't the optimal one and he spoke about addition of 3 or 4 legendaries into it. Still it showed itself pretty good until the 1 rank, where he stuck for some time. But if it is the result of suboptimal mage deck, then optimal mage should feel itself very comfortable at legendaries ranks. Don't know if he tried it on his main account or if someone else tested it.

Last edited:

Seeker
In My Safe Space
Had a mage today adding me to his friend list to tell me that I am a lucker because I had used ysera to beat him. Baited his polymorphs with a sunwalker and my flashy illidan. Her value is great, shes induces a great amount of rage to your opponents.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
first game in over a week, resuming a pretty okayish warrior run. fucking volume at 12321423135 decibels even tho I have it at like 20%, so I enter menu and accidentally hit concede and throw a sure-to-win game.

"welcome back!"
fuck you you ginger dwarf fucking weak-gened redneck drunkfuck

Zeriel

Arcane
Paladin worst? It's generally one of the best classes, one I most commonly run into at the higher end. Mage still beats him probably, but not by much. I do love druid myself.

I don't think mages could be considered OP in constructed now.
Mage definitely seems to have cycled out in ranked. Top ranked seems to be almost all aggro-warrior, legendary-warrior, murloc-warlock, hand-warlock, miracle-rogue, buff-rogue, late-druid, guys-druid, standard-shaman, aggro-paladin and mid-late-paladin.

Man I haven't played Hearthstone in weeks. Should find the time.

I've come to sort arena classes into two tiers: good-with-exact-proper-distribution-of-cards, and decent-even-with-half-assed-picks. Paladin can be very strong, but really falls apart without certain class cards (GL if you don't draft any consecration). I've had really good runs with paladin, but then I have a ton of experience with paladin in constructed, where it is my main deck with thousands of games played. I've had the same success more consistently in arena with warrior, a class I almost never play. Druid is also really, really good, maybe absurdly overpowered when you get the right picks, but feels like total trash when you don't get the full accompaniment of wrath, swipe, ironbark protector, etc.

What I like about warrior is that you aren't really reliant on particular spell cards. All of your key cards tend to be commons. Rares are nice bonuses. Epics? Almost entirely extraneous.

You can also easily figure out mage is basically the best arena class by the fact you run into it 80% of the time once you hit 8-0, but every self-respecting human being hates playing mage, so there's that.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
I've come to sort arena classes into two tiers: good-with-exact-proper-distribution-of-cards, and decent-even-with-half-assed-picks. Paladin can be very strong, but really falls apart without certain class cards (GL if you don't draft any consecration). I've had really good runs with paladin, but then I have a ton of experience with paladin in constructed, where it is my main deck with thousands of games played. I've had the same success more consistently in arena with warrior, a class I almost never play. Druid is also really, really good, maybe absurdly overpowered when you get the right picks, but feels like total trash when you don't get the full accompaniment of wrath, swipe, ironbark protector, etc.

What I like about warrior is that you aren't really reliant on particular spell cards. All of your key cards tend to be commons. Rares are nice bonuses. Epics? Almost entirely extraneous.

You can also easily figure out mage is basically the best arena class by the fact you run into it 80% of the time once you hit 8-0, but every self-respecting human being hates playing mage, so there's that.
Personal experience does not necessarily represent the actual global stats (I've always tended to run into Paladin at 8+). Mage is not actually the best arena class as of right now, but it is the most commonly picked one by quite a margin, which is why you're running into her so much.
http://hearthstats.net/reports/jan/index.html
9ed094800808ffa4e15de320d4d3758938ab6ea3.gif
Rogue
53.47%
26020 Games
dfc33d8200b6123d8165eb81373c8ff4e8237519.gif
Mage
52.50%
47899 Games
9eb4a10d2ab787f1a2085176538cae4ba028aae4.gif
Shaman
52.27%
29909 Games
5c128dc783a0010dac568542add9981a13c553df.gif
Paladin
52.15%
41562 Games
3ac0c6fb4a81f7aa189a1e91a1a00ad0b3487d3d.gif
Druid
48.34%
33505 Games
9b8e0e2ebb8e80d03bf8461c23e6d5e5bd1a7d9c.gif
Warrior
47.74%
15875 Games
65e159786d1d30f2c5d25ac1bf34f8e84c130c3f.gif
Hunter
46.29%
18022 Games
db54bdf1117168dec38d15b67b9880e9e891989f.gif
Warlock
43.69%
12277 Games
79d2e7cce06dadd8a9cbb140e467592303ab06e1.gif
Priest
42.39%
17374 Games

In other words, there's four top classes (Mage, Paladin, Shaman, Rogue) for Arena (Arena Mastery agrees those are the top four), and the difference between the four is pretty low-to-insignificant. HearthStats does not have Mage as the current top class, Arena Mastery does have it as the all-time top one but all-time tends to be less useful with frequent card changes.

The thing with Paladin is he has so many power cards that it's alright if you miss out on some. If you don't get ANY of the 4-cost power cards and no argent protectors then you have a problem but that is a very unlikely scenario.

Not coincidentally, the lower-tier arena decks are all a) rush-dependent and/or b) depend on too low a number of class-specific cards or combos. Priest and Warlock in particular are not just dependent on having a couple of class-specific cards, but very specific combos of multiple class-specific cards.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Old news but new to me: apparently if you have a daily quest in your log and log in around 1 am ET until they put out new dailies at 3-4 am ET you can infinitely reset your existing quest. I did this the other day a few times until I got the 100 gold one. Figured I'd just keep doing this but on day two after about 300+ resets I haven't gotten it. Clearly it's stupidly rare. You'll also get booted from the server after about 150+ rapid requests.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Damn, that Druid run was disappointing. In addition to me stupidly throwing away one victory (as described in previous posts), I also got one disconnection (on turn 4, the match was very much undecided). The new reconnect feature did not work, and the run ended at 7-3. It's still my record, but I can't help to think it could have been so much better. Such a waste of a great draft.

Started another run, with a Warlock. It's my second Warlock run overall, with the first one ending 0-3. First game: got completely destroyed. 0-4 now. Warlock does not seem to be my cup of tea at all.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Warlock isn't particularly good in Arena because it's one of the more 'build' dependent heroes.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So it seems. Although I did get my first win, so it's 1-4 now.

Compared to my Druid record of 13-6, kind of pathetic.

Unwanted

Contrite

Andhaira
Andhaira
I'm getting into this game. Just started today now that it is finally out. It's fun, but is there anyway to play against friends, rather than randomly have the PC choose human opponents for you?

:cannot into battlenet:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Only if they're on your B.net friends list. That said, you can't complete daily quests playing against friends so unless you're going to buy card packs you have no choice but to play against random people.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
God, Arena is infuriating to me. There's enough randomness in the game without having to deal with all random decks as well. Getting wrecked by a lucky idiot is not fun.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
God, Arena is infuriating to me. There's enough randomness in the game without having to deal with all random decks as well. Getting wrecked by a lucky idiot is not fun.
Yeah, because getting wrecked with by an idiot with 5x more expert cards than you in constructed is much more fun.

Unwanted

Contrite

Andhaira
Andhaira
Anyone here want to become friends on b.net so we can duel once in a while for fun? Taking the game uber sirius and aiming to be the best on earth is a noble goal I am sure, but just playing against codexers for fun won't be too shabby too.

Give me your user names or email addresses here and I will add you.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Hey, I'd at least get to play with cards I actually like. Is it just me or are the boosters in the arena given when you win 1-7 matches (that's how far I went) usually more filled with crap than ones purchased separately?

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Should I just pick one class and focus on it, disenchanting what I come across for other classes? I'm feeling that the game kind of forces you into this if you want to be competitive without spending a lot of money.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
If you want to play constructed and are set on a particular class, that is probably the most efficient way. But it won't be the case if you decide to switch classes at some point.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Yeah, don't disenchant anything (unless the card gets nerfed so you can get full dust value for it). The card collection builds up quite quickly as long you do the daily quests and spend the gold mostly on arena runs (guaranteed card pack anyway + you can get even more gold if you do good). I bought 7 card pack a while after I started playing but now I think it wasn't really neccesary.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Too late brahs, already disenchanted the shit outta everything for my warlock deck. I'm a sucker for pain for power mechanics (black ftw), so it's not like I was gonna play something else anytime soon.

Do need some critique, though (be gentle, I have no idea what goes on in high level play to build a deck for it).

These cards I feel somewhat strongly about, they're the core to this deck:

Soulfire (2) - pairing this with kobolds/ogres is amazing.
Mortal Coil (2)
Demon Fire (2)
Kobold Geomancer (2)
Drain Life (2)
Felguard(2) - very nice card, and I can get away with it due to my low mana costs.
Harvest Golem (2)
Void Terror (2) - great sinergy with harvest golem, decent with leper gnome, very good for use before a hellfire. Sucks to play it and then have it transformed or silenced.
Hellfire (2)
Ogre Magi (2) - reluctant to switch for azure drakes, the mana cost would be an issue often and I already get enough card draw from my hero power.

These here I'd be more willing to trade for something else:

Leper Gnome (2) - turn 1 is usually annoying for the opponent to deal with
Flame Imp (2) - turn 1 is usually annoying for the opponent to deal with
Demolisher (1)
Shadowflame (1)
Cult Master (1) - has often just replaced itself, I hoped it would do more. His ability doesn't trigger on board wipes if he gets taken down with the rest of the minions, which is bullshit.
Abomination (1) - has seldom been useful.
Siphon Soul (2) - I've used this maybe twice. 6 mana is a lot.

Tons of removal/finishers, some nice synergies with harvest golem/void terror/hellfire. Soulfire + kobold/ogre magi is always great and often takes people by surprise.

I'm losing when I get behind, which will often make me unable to play some cards, such as flame imp or hellfire. Also having problems when the oponent starts dropping fat ass minions all over the place.

So, basically, I'm not closing out the game fast enough and/or not healing myself enough (or hurting myself too much) to make it to the end. Suggestions?

Grinolf

Arcane
Too late brahs, already disenchanted the shit outta everything for my warlock deck. I'm a sucker for pain for power mechanics (black ftw), so it's not like I was gonna play something else anytime soon.

Do need some critique, though (be gentle, I have no idea what goes on in high level play to build a deck for it).

These cards I feel somewhat strongly about, they're the core to this deck:

Soulfire (2) - pairing this with kobolds/ogres is amazing.
Mortal Coil (2)
Demon Fire (2)
Kobold Geomancer (2)
Drain Life (2)
Felguard(2) - very nice card, and I can get away with it due to my low mana costs.
Harvest Golem (2)
Void Terror (2) - great sinergy with harvest golem, decent with leper gnome, very good for use before a hellfire. Sucks to play it and then have it transformed or silenced.
Hellfire (2)
Ogre Magi (2) - reluctant to switch for azure drakes, the mana cost would be an issue often and I already get enough card draw from my hero power.

These here I'd be more willing to trade for something else:

Leper Gnome (2) - turn 1 is usually annoying for the opponent to deal with
Flame Imp (2) - turn 1 is usually annoying for the opponent to deal with
Demolisher (1)
Shadowflame (1)
Cult Master (1) - has often just replaced itself, I hoped it would do more. His ability doesn't trigger on board wipes if he gets taken down with the rest of the minions, which is bullshit.
Abomination (1) - has seldom been useful.
Siphon Soul (2) - I've used this maybe twice. 6 mana is a lot.

Tons of removal/finishers, some nice synergies with harvest golem/void terror/hellfire. Soulfire + kobold/ogre magi is always great and often takes people by surprise.

I'm losing when I get behind, which will often make me unable to play some cards, such as flame imp or hellfire. Also having problems when the oponent starts dropping fat ass minions all over the place.

So, basically, I'm not closing out the game fast enough and/or not healing myself enough (or hurting myself too much) to make it to the end. Suggestions?
I am not expert on Warlocks, but I am certain that you shouldn't drop Flame Imps. If there is a situation where you couldn't play him, then you most likely lose that game anyway. Also it is a good idea to drop Demolisher, Cult Master and Abomination. Instead it's better to add some strong 1-2 drops or Doomguard.
Also current trend amongst Warlocks is Shieldbearer+Voidwalker+Argent Squire+whole bunch of buff minions. There is two variations of it: one about controling the board and other about rushing your enemy as fast as possible.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom