Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Hellpoint - Dark Souls + Dead Space

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
"It's like Souls"...one of the more recent indicators of creative bankruptcy.

Usually because they don't actually clone Dark Souls. If they did those games wouldn't actually be that bad, just derivative.

Like this game, from what you guys are saying.

Narushima

Cipher
If anyone is still hesitating on this, my advice would be to wait a couple of months at least. They have many bugs to patch, and the game was clearly released too soon.
It also lacks some polish, but that's another matter.

Oh and I hate the very obvious Kickstarter morons' messages you sometimes come across in hidden areas.

cruel

Cipher
-40% off on Steam right now.

Is it worth it for $21? Better than Mortal Shell or Ashen?

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I enjoyed it, although it got too easy in the second half of the game. Played it and had fun, uninstalled it, forgot about it. That kind of game. I'd say it was worth $21 myself, it's enjoyable enough if you like the 'souls' formula.

Farewell young Prince into the night

This game is free to claim forever on GoG at the moment.

cruel

Cipher
I got it for free on GOG (it's still free for the next 8 hours, just in case) - and the impressions are much better than Ashen, for example. Combat seems decent, atmosphere and music are nice, and I already see they did good job with level design / shortcuts. Pretty good so far.

If somebody is too lazy to search:
https://af.gog.com/#giveaway?as=1649904300

You need to be logged in to get it though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivan

Arcane
not every title needs to be excellent. I'll give it a spin. thanks for the shout-out

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
I wasn't too miffed about the floatiness of the combat and the general jankiness, but timer based respawns in a Soulslike is fucking retarded. Felt like I was playing an MMO when an enemy just popped out of thin air right in front of me after I did some exploring and got back to an area I had cleared before.

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ok, looks like it's mostly only the weakest scrubs that respawn on a timer, so it's not that bad. Still retarded. Some of the bigger baddies don't even respawn on resting, only when dying or on level transitions. The amount of wonky ass platforming in the game is even more retarded though, that shit especially has no place in a fucking soulslike. The ghost system is annoying as fuck as well. Not that they're really hard, like any of the game so far, but just plain annoying.

But I'm still playing the game, so I must be even more retarded than the game.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looks like there's a DLC for this in the works.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/628670/view/5232606492415918343
[HELLPOINT 1-YEAR ANNIVERSARY] - DLC Teaser
Exclusive Community DLC Reveal

âš« Happy anniversary, hellspawns! âš«

Rejoice! To celebrate the 1-year Anniversary of the release of Hellpoint, we decided to show you some never seen before content from the upcoming...

Hellpoint: Blue Sun DLC

sl6v8OT.jpg

WEklKhI.jpg

IN8nBdI.jpg

lbwv1pA.jpg

More information will be revealed soon along with the brand new trailer, hellspawns!

Cautiously fapping.

(Who was it that used to say that, anyway?)

fork

Lol, this game is so fucking banal shit and indeed boring that I have no idea how anyone could look forward to more of this crap. This thread's title is an insult to both Dead Space as well as Dark Souls, because Hellpoint doesn't even come close to the least of any of these two titles' qualities. It's in fact one of the worst games I ever played, and I played many, many games in my life.

Villagkouras

Arcane
I've been playing this and I'm near the end.

First of all, the obvious bad things. The game is not polished. Animations are kinda stiff, there are some weird hitboxes and generally, the production values are low, enemy and boss variety is low.

But I'm having fun. For me, it's the game that captures the most the Dungeon Crawler feeling of Dark Souls. The sense of mystery and adventure. The level design doesn't make sense many times, but who cares? The levels are small but condensed and many secrets are constantly there.

Combat has weight, something not so usual in souls clones. The default difficulty is really low, it's the easiest souls clone I've played, but there is a very easy way to adjust the difficulty through a consumable.

People are going to criticize the game due to its production. That's fair, I guess. But there are small things that prove that the devs care. For example, I haven't encountered a single bug. Or if there is a switch that needs to be pushed, it's interactable no matter which position you have. For example, I remember in Witcher 3, the most polished AAA at the time, I had to stand in front of the object, facing it for the prompt to appear (and many other games have the same problem). The humble and poor Hellpoint has no such issues.

They seem to get what made Dark Souls so special. I hope they will build on this and expand, because the game is too short. They need to make their next game feel more professional, even in small details like the fonts they use or the number of souls you find as loot which are always numbers like 111, 222, 333 and so on. It's not something bothering, it's just feels amateur-ish.

Overall, recommended for the fans of the genre.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Some DLC:

Hellpoint: Blue Sun DLC reveals the complete story of Irid Novo, for those who can understand it. Asmodeus, the deal maker, takes an interest only in the most proficient of Spawns!
  • Travel to the Blue Sun parallel dimension to experience a new layer of story that reveals the one true cause of the Merge cataclysm.
  • Three new sprawling areas to explore and die in, expanding the interconnected level design.
  • A ton of new armors, characters and bosses
  • New “contract” system
  • Dual wield weapons
  • A variety of quality-of-life improvements designed alongside the Hellpoint player community, like stat respec and inventory management.
The team at Cradle Games poured all their heart and gratitude to invite you for one more sojourn on Irid Novo.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Honestly I liked this game a bit, would't put in the same tier of DS2 but honstly found this game way harder than Dark Souls.

The third boss which I had to fight was Arisen Congregators, two guys, one melee guy with a morningstar and a guy with a lance + powerfu light based spells. ornstein and smough in DS1 are cakewalk compared to this guys as I don't have access to ranged magic, my white prophet hand only works in CQB and the energy attack deals ridiculous high damage and can bypass the cubes in the scenario.

Also really liked the cycle of time, when the station is close to the black hole, things become really messy and this is consistent with the lore.

This game is recommended for souls fans

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
The game is jank but a hell of a lot of fun. I recommend it for any Souls fan who likes challenge an exploration.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
2rmrogU.png

Any good hints on how to deal with Uthos the Ashen Born??

I died lots of times against him. He is just too powerful. Even with fire resistant gear, he has an attack which knocks you down and another attack which combined takes about 85% of my hp. I even tried to infuse my main weapon with Nihl but the best that I did was 2/3 of his hp. My unique staff is hell channeler which deals fire damage and he is virtually immune to fire. I'm having a really hard time against him. So far my best strategy is to use beams from my Nihl hand and when I ran out of energy, try to melee him down.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Maybe the balancing was whack, but i had zero problems with any of the bossfights (except for the celestial beast and the secret final boss). Most of them were defeated on my first try, celestial beast took maybe four or five attempts because i was still relatively new to the game, and then the secret final boss was a fucking nightmare clownshow where i died 6 gorillion times.

Maybe it's the weapon of choice? I was using a banal officer's glaive that you can find relatively early into the game.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Playing it now. I'm not great at soulslikes, but have a few under my belt. It seems this game makes it easy to stun enemies. Bashing works on most things, and the jump attack seems OP. Still dying a bit here and there on new enemies I don't know2 the pattern of. Game seems decently forgiving for this type of game.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Playing it now. I'm not great at soulslikes, but have a few under my belt. It seems this game makes it easy to stun enemies. Bashing works on most things, and the jump attack seems OP. Still dying a bit here and there on new enemies I don't know2 the pattern of. Game seems decently forgiving for this type of game.
It gets harder. There's a couple of enemy types that basically one shot you, and I remember those golden twins being pretty difficult.
You should try ranged and magic. Unlike the soulsborne games ranged attacks are actually pretty effective.

I liked hellpoint, but it was really bloody jank. I might give it another run though; I do have the Blue Sun expansion, which apparently added two handed weapons.
Quick bit of advice for the end :

Unless you absolutely want the achievement or are not prone to motion sickness, you might want to avoid the secret last boss. I found it nauseating to fight. Imagine the 4 Kings fight, but with a worse camera and epilepsy.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The two-handed thing is very silly. I'm running with a big ass twohander, but only holding it in one hand. Looks pretty stupid.

I was thinking magic, but I am too invested in melee stats.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You definitely want either a magic weapon or a regular ranged weapon for your offhand. It makes most encounters a lot easier, and also a lot more fun by virtue of the mp regen mechanic.

Personally I thought the real final boss fight was great. The non-secret final boss was much more annoying with the wonky platforming.

Can't believe I missed there was an expansion out for this in fucking July. I've been thinking about replaying Hellpoint for ages, and this would have been the perfect excuse. I guess I'll get to it now. Thanks for alerting me, Abu Antar, you bring news even when you don't mean to :salute:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
The two-handed thing is very silly. I'm running with a big ass twohander, but only holding it in one hand. Looks pretty stupid.

I was thinking magic, but I am too invested in melee stats.

I noticed that too when I first played it a couple of years ago.
I would have a massive sword and just run around with it in one hand. Apparently Blue Sun fixes that.

It's been a while since I played HP last, but I don't think stats are as important as in the souls games. What really matters is the augment chip thing that you slot into your weapon. HP has an interesting mechanic where instead of upgrading the weapon you upgrade this attachment, and you can freely switch it between weapons. It does scale with your stats, but it's better to put points into upgrading that chip than stats.

I remember just meeting the requirements for weapons and still dealing a good amount of damage because of my high chip level.

Occult weapons are pretty rare anyway unless you know where to look, so it's normal to not touch the occult stat until later.

Personally I thought the real final boss fight was great. The non-secret final boss was much more annoying with the wonky platforming.

Can't believe I missed there was an expansion out for this in fucking July. I've been thinking about replaying Hellpoint for ages, and this would have been the perfect excuse. I guess I'll get to it now. Thanks for alerting me, Abu Antar, you bring news even when you don't mean to :salute:
Yeah, that robot scorpion was a pain in the arse, and I would using a shooty build. I dread trying to go pure melee against it. My problem with the Sentient is that it gave me a bad head ache, adn that normally doesn't happen

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
I see, I will pick one or the other. I'm still only in the observatory. The first boss was at least a joke. I will probably go pistol, considering how the energy refills after you attack enemies. I do have one, but my stats aren't at the level for me to use it properly. There's also a shard that I got, which I try to use for back stabs.

Sacibengala

Prophet
How's the level design on this game? Is exploration any good?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom